Low Engine Idle

Andy123az

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Acura MDX Tech, 2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey guys, not sure if I'm the only one with the problem but for the past few days, my engine seems to be idling really low. Normally the car idles at 800 RPMs but I've been idling at 600 RPM's lately. I notice because the car vibrates more so than it would if it idled at 800 RPM.

Two days ago I changed the oil on my Civic with Mobil1 0W-20 oil, like the car recommends. I also added a K&N oil filter during the process. I doubt this is the cause as to why the car idles so low. I've linked the oil below.

It has been getting colder where I live, though not that cold (45 degrees Fahrenheit).

Is there a computer problem with the car? A mechanical issue? Should I take it to the dealership and have them check it out?

Thanks for any responses.

The oil I used:
https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-extended-performance
Sponsored

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Mine started doing that after 10,000kms too, definitely annoying. I don't think your oil is the problem, good choice though!

OP
OP
Andy123az

Andy123az

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine started doing that after 10,000kms too, definitely annoying. I don't think your oil is the problem, good choice though!
My car currently sits at 9.5k miles on the clock. Concerned that there might be a problem with the car.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Low idle and rough idle are not always the same thing.
600 doesn't seem that low, especially when the engine is warmed.

Anyway, there are a few possibilities.

Your engine is choking because there's no air. Could be a clogged air filter. or a dirty idle air control valve.
Your engine is running lean, either because there's less fuel going in, or ECU is calculating AFR wrong.

If it bothers you, just take it in.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
It's definitely not the oil change you did, and it's not the temperature outside either. Sounds like the control valve. Bring it to Honda. Worst they can say is nothing.

OP
OP
Andy123az

Andy123az

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do you guys idle similarly low? Would like a comparison with other 1.5T engines.

TranceFC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Manual
Country flag
Mine was low as well at idle and the car vibrates. It vibrates more when i kick in the climate control as well. I think I'm gonna take it to honda. Op any mods?

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
It just vibrates a lot when it idles at 600. My passenger seat vibrates back and fourth a 1/4" no joke.. then when at 7-750+ is butter smooth.. faak.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was low as well at idle and the car vibrates. It vibrates more when i kick in the climate control as well. I think I'm gonna take it to honda. Op any mods?
I don't think raising the idle will be easy. My dealer would definitely make an excuse as to why they can adjust it lol, I see it coming already.. :( we can try though!

OP
OP
Andy123az

Andy123az

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Only mods I've done to my car are electrical. Added HIDs and an Interior LED lighting kit. Also changed the interior dome lights to LEDs and the taillights to LED. All those have been done a month go with no problem.

My car idles higher with my headlights/Climate Control. Turning those on will bring the idle back to 800RPM. Idling at 600 doesn't violently shake the car but definitely can feel the vibration. Vibration still isn't as bad as my friends car when it idles at 500RPM. His car feels like it's about to die.

TranceFC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Manual
Country flag
I'm gonna take my car to honda soon. If I get any updates I'll report back. For me I felt the vibration more when I added a catch can. But everything was tight. I put the stock hose back so honda can't blame me.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
I'm gonna take my car to honda soon. If I get any updates I'll report back. For me I felt the vibration more when I added a catch can. But everything was tight. I put the stock hose back so honda can't blame me.
That might be your can vibrating. I had mine replaced by Mishimoto for exactly that.

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine has been doing the same thing for a while now. It dips to 500 coming to a complete stop and just sitting in traffic. Shifting to Park/Neutral puts the RPM back to where it's suppose to be though and it stops vibrating as bad.

I want to note that I do not have a catch can.

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm interested in what they say, I'm due for service soon but don't want to bring it up just yet... ;)
Sponsored