low car battery causing alarm issues (?)

pearlexl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 si coupe
Country flag
does anyone know if a low car battery will cause the alarm on the car to go off?

car battery was dead for at least 12 hours. I jumped the car and drove it for about 30 minutes. Then I went to sleep and woke up around 4 hours later due to neighbor calling me that my car alarm was going off. The alarm sequence had already finished and my headlights were still on so maybe about 15-20 minutes. I tried to unlock and lock my car from inside the house, but it was not responding to my key fob. I had to go out and unlock the door manually while the alarm indicator on the dash was blinking repeatedly. after I went inside, the alarm went off again after about 30 minutes to an hour, car again not responding to key fob. It was 5AM so I just disconnected my negative terminal to not disturb anyone.

I unplugged my hardwired dash and floor lights after my jumpstart. Had them for about a year with no noticeable battery issues.

I’m wondering if maybe my car alarm went off the night before and the headlights staying on killed the battery the very first time. Also read about unaligned hood latch sensors, which I’ll check later since I did open my hood about 5 days ago.

Does anyone have any insight? Thank you.
Sponsored

OP
OP
pearlexl

pearlexl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 si coupe
Country flag
wanted to note that when I went to disconnect the battery, the car wouldn’t stay off. kept pressing the start/stop to turn off the car, but the acc mode kept coming on.

also battery was dead again this morning even though I disconnected the battery. maybe it was already drained from the double alarms.

Velonici

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatchback, 2004 Toyota 4Runner
Country flag
Dead/dying batteris can cause all sorts of issues. The fact that it was dead after you unplugged it tells me that it was/is on its way out.

OP
OP
pearlexl

pearlexl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 si coupe
Country flag
drove the car for about 30 minutes on the freeway after the morning jump and had it sitting for about 4 hours. just took it to autozone and the battery tester read 80% charge which was bittersweet because I was really hoping I just needed a battery replacement....

got the car starting itself into acc mode, which is probably the reason why the battery is dying. was able to record the car being on acc mode and locked with the car not responding yo the keyfob.

sorry for the breathing had airpods on.

just found this thread and a lot of my problems seem the same so I guess the dealer is my next stop

https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...turning-on-by-itself-to-accessory-mode.30268/

sLing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Is your hardwire dashcam always on? If it is that's what probably killed the battery.

brotard

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
turned out to be a faulty bcm. had it replaced at the dealership.

if anyone has a similar issue, i recommend checking out this thread:

https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...turning-on-by-itself-to-accessory-mode.30268/
Mine is having the exact same issue as of this week! I did notice within the last couple years that while driving the radio would flicker on and off, that only happened like 3 times. My car alarm also went off a few times during the night almost 2 years ago. Other than that it's been great until this week when it went total haywire.

How was it when you went into the dealer? Did they get it sorted pretty quick? Did you get charged or did they replace it under warranty? I'm just worried because my car is rebuilt, so I don't have any warranties :/

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was gunna say Bcm is your problem

brotard

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I was gunna say Bcm is your problem
Where is the bcm located? I'm inside the car right now with the plastic panel pulled off and all I see is the fuse box. I've heard it's above the fuse box, right behind the buttons on the panel. Someone else said its to the left and up of the brake pedal.

Is it connected to the fuse box? The fuse box has like 8 different harnesses connected to it.

OP
OP
pearlexl

pearlexl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 si coupe
Country flag
@brotard dealer thought it was a battery issue. they checked it and batt passed so they said for them to check further, it’d be a $199 diagnosis fee since i was out of the warranty period by a couple thousand miles.

service advisor saw a lot of my aftermarket electrical (dash, side markers, underglow, rear fogs) and said the tech will most likely tell me to unplug everything and come back after a couple days.

luckily i had a video of my car being locked while in accessory mode. sent it to the service advisor and got a call back in 2-3 hrs confirming it was a faulty bcm.

i’m not sure what year/model your car is, but my service advisor was able to request honda corporate’s assistance in paying for my bcm repair since i’m just slightly overmileage on the warranty and under the 36mo period. without honda, it came out to around $800-$900. with honda’s help, i ended up paying the diagnosis fee only.

check out the other thread i linked above. it’s a bigger thread with more people that had the same issues.

also, not sure where the bcm is exactly, but you will need your keys recoded as well. it took about 2 weeks for the bcm to arrive and half a day for them to install it.

goodluck man, thing’s a hassle. kept a 10mm in my car and popped the hood and disconnected the battery every time i parked the car for more than 10min.

brotard

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
@brotard dealer thought it was a battery issue. they checked it and batt passed so they said for them to check further, it’d be a $199 diagnosis fee since i was out of the warranty period by a couple thousand miles.

service advisor saw a lot of my aftermarket electrical (dash, side markers, underglow, rear fogs) and said the tech will most likely tell me to unplug everything and come back after a couple days.

luckily i had a video of my car being locked while in accessory mode. sent it to the service advisor and got a call back in 2-3 hrs confirming it was a faulty bcm.

i’m not sure what year/model your car is, but my service advisor was able to request honda corporate’s assistance in paying for my bcm repair since i’m just slightly overmileage on the warranty and under the 36mo period. without honda, it came out to around $800-$900. with honda’s help, i ended up paying the diagnosis fee only.

check out the other thread i linked above. it’s a bigger thread with more people that had the same issues.

also, not sure where the bcm is exactly, but you will need your keys recoded as well. it took about 2 weeks for the bcm to arrive and half a day for them to install it.

goodluck man, thing’s a hassle. kept a 10mm in my car and popped the hood and disconnected the battery every time i parked the car for more than 10min.
I ended up finding it and pulling it apart to see if I could find any obvious defects on the circuit board. Not a super difficult install, only thing is I can't program a new one myself :/

I have a 2016 EX with 60k which I bought it rebuilt from a private dealership, so I'm probably boned on any financial help from them haha. At this point I think I'll just have them diagnose it just to be sure and then bring in my own BCM for them to program and do the installation myself. Kinda stinks to have an expensive issue like this so early on but hopefully I can get it sorted without a big hassle.

Thanks for the extra info!!
Sponsored