Low Boost Issue

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
So if its advertised at 20.3, and I'm getting 15, I'm not experiencing what its capable of ? What's the point of a Ktuner then ? The dual sport mode ? 19.5/23 or whatever.
Like I said. Sales tactic. You won’t be seeing that 20.3 bone stock.
Sponsored

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
From experience, whatever boost targets you have with Ktuner, you reach them every time.

I'd get 17-ish at full throttle, ~50F, full throttle in 2nd and 3rd at best prior to flashing with Ktuner. I made up a 19/21.5 dual basemap. In sport, I get 21-22 on the digital boost gauge every single time I do a pull.
Ktuner starter dual map tune makes the car feel so good. Honestly, should have came that way from the factory. Considering they lied a bunch.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, considering I'm running only a pound or so above the Honda given boost spec, it is immensely quicker when the car is made to reach 21 consistently vice lolly gagging around 16-17.

I think I'm going to make another map that ramps past 21 after 4000 RPM towards 23-24. Running in below-freezing temps... the torque hit from 21 is substantial on my still-stock clutch. I bet the power equals or exceeds the 23 map in summer temps.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
WokeNotaSleep, It's obvious that between your "Hangook" comment on another thread you made... your resurrecting a 2 month old thread to say the Civic Type R getting 3rd place on R&T is some frivolous affair and that your LX is all anyone should want and that your comments on a SI forum about boost pressure... you're a troll who's just wandering around and trying to poke people with a stick. I'll not feed you any longer. Ignored.

jmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe, 2016 RAM QC 4x4, 2016 Dart Rallye
Country flag
Boost extremist!!!! That is what I'll be if I ever get a Ktuner. lol

At least in my current low boost state (16-17 psi) it still chirps the tires in 3rd.

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
I redid the 19/23 psi map into 19/21.5 and always hit 21 or 22psi with 93 Oct.
I have the Vit Stage1 map, but that's not going on until my stock clutch gets fried

jaydubz79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
You are more that likely being blown off. However, as a consumer you have a number of options to even the playing ground.

Firstly, remove all mods associated with the engine and or powertrain before going to the dealer.

Secondly, ask yourself if you are just seeing low boost or if you are actually feeling low boost... "Loss of power" is certainly a reason to bring the vehicle in.

Third, document everything! Play nice and bring the car in for service. Honda dealers are very fearful of their service surveys and will try to a number of tactics to try and prevent you from getting one in the event they cannot satisfy your issue. This may produce leverage.

Fourth... Write a letter to Honda Corporate in regards to your concern and the way you have been treated. Be sure the letter is well crafted and focuses on your vehicle as opposed to pointing fingers.

This of course is just my opinion...

mzubb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda Pilot, 2006 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota Camry
Country flag
Could the stupidly intense cold we’ve been having have something to do with it? I’m not sure if the atmospheric pressure and temperature would have that much effect or not.
That could be it. At -5°F I was only getting 12psi. Today we finally got above freezing and it’s back up to 17psi. I expect to hit 19-20 again when this brutal winter is over.

OP
OP
Akalawur77

Akalawur77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I've never seen a factory turbo tune pull so much boost from IAT's. I always fill with 93 and temps have been 5-25F. I see others with factory tunes are getting low boost too, but I definitely feel a loss of power from when the car was new. Even when I've been driving for over 30 minutes not much seems to change, maybe an extra pound of boost. I don't drive much so I haven't filled my tank with octane booster like the service advisor instructed, I'll comment when I do though. Also, not directly related to the topic but I'm starting to hear some "chatter" at idle, kinda worried it could be the clutch/flywheel. @jaydubz79 I think I might end up escalating this to Honda NA depending how this goes. Even if nothing is wrong with my car I don't appreciate being treated like some punk kid, very unprofessional of the service rep.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I haven't read what the manual says in this circumstance, but at least for the car fill door it says unleaded fuel only, premium recommended. If you're putting 93 octane of top tier gas, there's no need to throw more money to get maybe 1 more point. I've gotten a bad batch of gas a couple times over the years, but I'd flat out refuse to add additives to my fuel to any service advisor who recommends them. They're on shaky ground as they're recommending doing something outside/beyond the bounds of what you should need to do. Once you're through your existing tank, if you still have a problem that concerns you, I'd bring it back.

With all that being said, the car has been proven to simply not reach 20.3 psi on the factory tune. There's been several threads that have beat this to death. KTuner had a thread a while back that said, when they looked at the factory boost targets, the highest boost target they saw was 19.5. Based on this, 20.3 may be the highest number they saw as a small boost spike in the testing phase and what was published. I don't know. I agree, I never had a car before this one give a boost spec and fall so far short.

Take a little solice in the fact that the Civics not making 20.3 for an SI is consistent across all 2017s/2018s with the factory tune. Based on this, there is likely nothing wrong with your car based on the number alone. If your car feels substantially down on power or the sounds you hear, yes... by all means take it in. I just wouldn't center on that number when you talk to the tech. Base it on a loss of power and odd noises. Tell them you've got through more than one tank of gas and you're not adding an additive that you have no intention of adding for the life of the car to have it perform correctly. If it that *did* help, it's a band-aid that you shouldn't need and would cost you to continue doing. This isn't an old 80s Chevy with a knock. It's a modern car and your using the recommended fuel for peak factory performance. You should expect it to perform as such and nothing less.
Sponsored