Low beam lens dim

Caboose47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
I recently purchased a set of LED low beam lights. I noticed that the driver's side light was a lot dimmer than the other side. I proceeded to switch the bulbs to make sure one wasn't defective, but the right side is still dimmer. It appears that the inner spherical lens in which the low beam bulb sits is cloudy/foggy. I sort of noticed it with the stock halogen bulbs, but thought it was all in my head. It's much more noticeable with the white LED's. Any ideas on what the issue is? Thanks in advance
Sponsored

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
Sounds like the seal on that side isn't as good as the other, and allowed some condensation inside. You'll have to remove the headlight casing, rinse with alcohol and drain. If it wasn't a "foggy" issue I'd guess it was a voltage issue.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
my lenses appear foggy all the time, it doesn't go away even leaving the hood open and bulbs disconnected under the sun so i gueas it's not just condensation. I even tried to clean inside with a cotton stick but nothing changed and dealership doesn't know what to do either. I will ask for new headlights if they don't find another solution before warranty is over.

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
Lens clouding is common in Civics, although it usually happens over many years. It is caused by the break down of the covering over the outside of the glass. I don't know if this is the problem in your car.

I had lens clouding in my 2001 civic. I brought it to my mechanic and he cleaned it off for a few dollars. Any honest/good mechanic should be able to fix it for $50 or less if it is clouding. If you are mechanically inclined, you can do it yourself. The web is full of self-help videos on this. Google "cloudy headlight lenses". Just beware that there is a "right way" (that lasts) and a "wrong way" (that doesn't last) to do it.

Of course, if your car is still under warranty, you should insist on new lenses from your dealership. It is a safety issue.
Sponsored