Love Bugs Suck

nothome17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 is 350 F
Country flag
Hopefully the bugs collected on the intercooler doesn't affect performance as much. But hey, maybe Honda knows something that we don't know. Maybe bug guts have better cooling properties than water cooled intercoolers.

Would be nice if the intercooler was easily accessible to clean like Subies.
Sponsored

Last edited:

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
The bugs aren’t bad today

Honda Civic 10th gen Love Bugs Suck 9F030C3A-FF94-4B39-8410-CA56F2247BE2

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This

Honda Civic 10th gen Love Bugs Suck 59882522_1249999575169297_3298926038884548608_n.pn

drdave113

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Funny I made a thread about love bugs it’s just as bad when you’re traveling into Fort Myers on 41 in two days I already went threw a gallon of windshield washer fluid
The hazards of Spring

OP
OP
solar

solar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6MT
Country flag
The intercooler and condenser are pretty messy, I sprayed the IC down a few times with soapy water and let it soak, then tried using the hose to spray them off trying not to push them farther into the cooling fins. Got a lot of them off, but would really like to take a brush to it. Looks like I might be able to access the condenser from the top by removing the radiator cover and using a narrow brush. Worse case is take it to my friends shop and have them remove the bumper cover, hoping I don’t have to do that.

cypress

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am dreading going up to Orlando because of this. Cars in my neighborhood that have come down the past couple days have been covered in them. I agree, worse I have seen in awhile.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The intercooler and condenser are pretty messy, I sprayed the IC down a few times with soapy water and let it soak, then tried using the hose to spray them off trying not to push them farther into the cooling fins. Got a lot of them off, but would really like to take a brush to it. Looks like I might be able to access the condenser from the top by removing the radiator cover and using a narrow brush. Worse case is take it to my friends shop and have them remove the bumper cover, hoping I don’t have to do that.
I was surprised that the intercooler on my car wasn’t packed not many bugs but the hood and windshield is a mess at work I use a spray wash I don’t use the water at my job it well water at home I wash them off again unless it rains hard

flashcash

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I'll be driving to Central Florida (from CT) next week and will be spending a week there. Any suggestions on the best way to control/clean these love bugs while on the road?

OP
OP
solar

solar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6MT
Country flag
I'll be driving to Central Florida (from CT) next week and will be spending a week there. Any suggestions on the best way to control/clean these love bugs while on the road?
I think you will be okay by next week, I believe we got through the heavy Love Bug season by now. They will probably still be out there though, but not as heavy as what I encountered.

Put a good coat of wax on your car before you leave.

Buy a Zep spray bottle from Home Depot or Lowe’s, bring it with you and fill it with car wash soap and water. Spray down the bugs whenever you can, (gas stop, piss break) just keep spraying it. Main thing is don’t let those bugs “cook” on your paint in the sun.

Last edited:

flashcash

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I think you will be okay by next week, I believe we got through the heavy Love Bug season by now. They will probably still be out there though, but not as heavy as what I encountered.

Put a good coat of wax on your car before you leave.

Buy a Zep spray bottle from Home Depot or Lowe’s, bring it with you and fill it with car wash soap and water. Spray down the bugs whenever you can, (gas stop, piss break) just keep spraying it. Main thing is don’t let those bugs “cook” on your paint in the sun.
Thank you for the great advice and for putting my mind at ease. Hopefully the love bugs won’t present too big of a problem. Great job cleaning up your girl. What a mess!

Off to Lowe’s...

cypress

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is a great idea. Definitely going to do this as well when traveling up to that area.

Shazam74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX/1984 Corvette
Country flag
Yep I second with putting a decent coat of wax on the ride. I know it's crazy but spray some Pam cooking spray on the exterior front panels and do a light wipe with a towel. Makes cleaning up super easy. If they get stuck on use a drier sheet and some water and they should come right off. As for the the rad and intercooler... Yeah.. sol.. the struggle of love bug season

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yep I second with putting a decent coat of wax on the ride. I know it's crazy but spray some Pam cooking spray on the exterior front panels and do a light wipe with a towel. Makes cleaning up super easy. If they get stuck on use a drier sheet and some water and they should come right off. As for the the rad and intercooler... Yeah.. sol.. the struggle of love bug season
I did that too drier sheets and water but now I keep a bottle of waterless car wash in the car and use it on the bug splatter. It’s calming down now last week was horrible with these bugs there was bugs on my front wheel

jessieomc

First Name
Jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe
Country flag
OMG that makes me cringe just looking at your poor car with all those bugs on it! We travel down that way often but I havent been down in the new car yet. Thant sucks so bad. Love bugs are definitely on the list of things I hate dealing with when it comes to ttravel . Glad you were able to get them off!
Sponsored