Loud rear noise 10-20 mph

mims80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
I have the '16 Civic LX. I noticed recently when I'm decreasing in speed, the rear of my car gets really loud...similar to the hub bearing issues when I had my '06 Civic. The noise is loud when its decreasing from 20 down until I step on the brakes to stop. Not sure if it has anything to do with the flat tire (rear passenger) that I had patched up. Dude only removed the nail, patched and then pumped air. He didn't take off the tire to repair the patch and the ex said that was ok...it was another way of repairing a flat. Not sure if the noise was before the patch but I notice it now and its quite annoying. Anyone have this issue? Noise similar to a humming noise.
Sponsored

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
How certain are you it's the rear? Noise tends to reverberate through the chassis/cabin and sometimes they may be coming from somewhere completely different.

Did you check tire pressures?

OP
OP

mims80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
I'm not sure but to me it sounds like its coming from the rear and I haven't checked the tire pressures yet. I will have to check them later.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Have you taken off the patched tire to see if the noise still occurs?

OP
OP

mims80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
no I haven't. may have to wait for the bf to do it for me. I dont want to mess up the car by trying to do it myself. I've watched it done plenty of times but that's different when doing it yourself. :) thanks for the suggestion, didnt think of that.

OP
OP

mims80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
so i went and got gas last night, the tire pressure in both rear tires were between 20-25 psi. i know when the dealer checked my tire pressure when i had an oil change done that they pumped it to around 32 psi. but anyhow, i sorta let some air out and now the tires dont make that loud annoying noise in the rear. i told the bf and he was mad because i let some air out. anyhow, will take the car to the dealer tomorrow to have them recheck my tire pressure and inflate it to the appropriate psi.

CivicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2014 Ram 1500, 2016 Harley Ultra Limited
It sounds like the person who fixed your tire only put a plug in it. That is not a patch. Go to a tire store and have them properly patch the tire from the inside. They will remove the wheel and tire and put a proper patch inside the tire. The noise you are hearing may be the plug hitting the pavement as the wheel spins.

Also do not run your tires under inflated that causes the tire to over heat and can result in a blow out. Run the proper air pressure.

OP
OP

mims80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
It sounds like the person who fixed your tire only put a plug in it. That is not a patch. Go to a tire store and have them properly patch the tire from the inside. They will remove the wheel and tire and put a proper patch inside the tire. The noise you are hearing may be the plug hitting the pavement as the wheel spins.

Also do not run your tires under inflated that causes the tire to over heat and can result in a blow out. Run the proper air pressure.
thanks, that's what he did. he did a plug not a patch. I'll have it repaired this weekend. Thank you.

OP
OP

mims80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
so finally took my car in to Honda yesterday. I explained to the guy that I had a flat and had it repaired however I didn't think it was repaired correctly. I explained to him that the nail was taken out, heard a drilling noise, and saw the guy plug in the hole which all took less than 5 minutes. The Honda tech said they'll look at it and if repairable, they will patch up the tire; if not, he will come back and advise me further. After an hour, he comes back and tells me I need a new tire. FML. So $175 out the door for being lazy and taking my car to a mom/pop shop for a simple fix. I asked the Honda Tech had I come to them, would the tire been repaired to which he stated they would've been able to repair the tire correctly and I wouldn't need to buy a new tire. So off I drove off spending $175 more than I expected. That was my Thursday. Happy Friday and Happy 4th!

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
so finally took my car in to Honda yesterday. I explained to the guy that I had a flat and had it repaired however I didn't think it was repaired correctly. I explained to him that the nail was taken out, heard a drilling noise, and saw the guy plug in the hole which all took less than 5 minutes. The Honda tech said they'll look at it and if repairable, they will patch up the tire; if not, he will come back and advise me further. After an hour, he comes back and tells me I need a new tire. FML. So $175 out the door for being lazy and taking my car to a mom/pop shop for a simple fix. I asked the Honda Tech had I come to them, would the tire been repaired to which he stated they would've been able to repair the tire correctly and I wouldn't need to buy a new tire. So off I drove off spending $175 more than I expected. That was my Thursday. Happy Friday and Happy 4th!
Glad your issue is solved though. When it comes to tires and tire repair, you really gotta stick with reputable shops whenever you can. Even then it can be a crap shoot still. Happy Independence Day.

OP
OP

mims80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
btw....im still hearing the loud noise. the noise is like comparison to when downshifting from 4th to 3rd gear and you feel the engine slow down and loud from the high rpm...but the noise is from the rear. Im positive its from the rear. once its down to 10 its get loud then once it hits 9 mph or lower then it stops making that loud noise. wonder if i go to honda if i could show the tech what im talking about with him riding with me but i highly doubt that. need to find a friend who knows about cars to tell me what it is because most often the tech at the dealer will tell me they can't hear it. its loud as day inside the car! kinda like a plane hovering over me. :(

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
Find out any more about this?

As for the tire, I call BS. I've plugged plenty of tires that have lasted for the rest of their useful lives.