Loud popping sound from gas door

Donuyen18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda s2000
Country flag
I recently purchased a 2017 hatchback about a week ago. Everything seemed fine until I took my car to the dealership to get a free fill up. After that, I noticed that the latch that locks the gas door is very loud when it locks/unlocks. I thought it might have just been me but my sister noticed it as well when I locked my door. Every time I lock or unlock my door, I can hear the gas door. I compared it with my wife's civic sedan and her gas door is no where near as loud as mine. I opened the gas door and locked and locked the car a few times. It works fine other then the volume. Then I tried the same with my wife's car and it works the same way minus the volume. Should I just leave it and live with it or should i take it to Honda just in case it is a bigger issue?
Sponsored

Last edited:

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport 6MT , 1995 240sx
Country flag
I can tell you that the gas door locking sound is the one I hear the most often, especially when a bit further away from the car. Mine makes almost a BZZZZT noise rather than just a regular lock sound as well.

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport 6MT , 1995 240sx
Country flag
Its hard to tell without being able to compare it... Its not supposed to sound broken but to me it is a bit loud.

sourpatchkvnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback sport touring
Country flag
Mine has made a loud lock and unlock sound since i bought it. So i guess its normal?

OP
OP
Donuyen18

Donuyen18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda s2000
Country flag
Update:
Took it to my local Honda dealership. They said that they have not seen this issue on the other hatchbacks. They confirmed that it definitely is not normal. They are ordering the part for me. I have to schedule for them to swap the part out when it arrives

sourpatchkvnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback sport touring
Country flag
Update:
Took it to my local Honda dealership. They said that they have not seen this issue on the other hatchbacks. They confirmed that it definitely is not normal. They are ordering the part for me. I have to schedule for them to swap the part out when it arrives
Dammit guess i have to go to the dealer now haha. Thank you though I just assumed it was normal and would have never said anything.

OP
OP
Donuyen18

Donuyen18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda s2000
Country flag
Yeah, when I unlocked my car, the Honda guys head turned so fast towards the gas cap I thought his head was gonna snap. Good thing I brought it in

OP
OP
Donuyen18

Donuyen18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda s2000
Country flag
Part came in, wife dropped the vehicle off at the dealership and it was fixed 4 hours later. You can definitely tell the difference.

Illiya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EXT, 1973 Porsche 914, 2015 BMW F800GT, 1996 Honda Nighthawk.
Country flag
I have a similar issue. I have a 2016 EXT sedan. 26000 miles. No problems until last week when I went to open the gas door by pressing on it, and it would not open. I called my dealership, and after explaining the issue, they said to bring the car in. Fortunately I had a quarter of a tank of gas left. The next day I went in, and the service manager opened the driver's door and looked for a gas cap door release lever. Unable to find it, he asked me where is was. I told him this car does not have one. He must have been a little embarrassed, since he then said "Well, you know your car better than I do". To which I said, "I hope not!" He then said he would have a mechanic look at it. Long story short, it turns out it was a problem with the gas door "Actuator", for which they have ordered me a new part. I am waiting for it to come in and be replaced. In the mean time, I want to say I never noticed a sound from the gas door when locking or unlocking the car until I had the issue at the gas staiton. Then when I was trying to determine what the problem was by using the key fob to lock/unlock the car, I noticed a very faint sound from the mechanism. Now, I notice a very loud metal to metal sliding sound when locking/unlocking the car. I hope the new part returns the action to be near silent again, like when it was new. And here is a side note I never found when searching here on this forum for an answer when sitting in my car at the gas station. If this ever happens to you, where the gas filler door will not open, there is a very small looped green wire up inside the trunk you can manually pull to open the door. At first I did not see it when the problem happened. But the mechanic at the dealership pointed it out to me. I hope this helps all of you should this ever happen.

Illiya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EXT, 1973 Porsche 914, 2015 BMW F800GT, 1996 Honda Nighthawk.
Country flag
UPDATE - Fuel door actuator replaced under warranty on Friday. Issues resolved.

OP
OP
Donuyen18

Donuyen18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda s2000
Country flag
UPDATE - Fuel door actuator replaced under warranty on Friday. Issues resolved.
Nice. Our cars are too new to have any issues. Make sure to take your vehicle to Honda if you suspect anything is wrong. The worst thing that could happen is they say no and turn you away

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Update:
Anything I ever take to the dealership, that is their automatic response. “that is something we’ve never seen before”

They can get bent
Sponsored