Loud, metal screeching sound

scsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Aegean Blue Civic Touring, 2003 Element EX AWD
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone —
On my drive home just now, I took a left turn from a stop light and suddenly had a very very loud, metal screeching sound. I thought someone had hit me or something, even though I didn't feel it. It continued as I drove on to a place where I could pull over... Just before I could stop, it sounded like something fell off and the sound suddenly stopped.

I pulled over and checked the road, but could not find anything that had fallen off.

The whole time, the car felt normal, though I was frantically trying to turn the radio down (a knob would have been handy here). I did knock the transmission into Neutral, which didn't change the sound. I also revved the engine, which didn't alter the sound either. My brakes feel fine, and the sound didn't change when I applied brakes either. For what it's worth, its raining here today, so everything is wet.

I don't even know where to start with this one. Has this happened to anyone else? What do y'all think I should do?

Thanks..
Sponsored

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Rock (even very small) could have kicked up between brake pad and caliper, and then fallen out.
Check your rotors for visible gouges.

Other than that the only things that screech that I can think of are belts, but that would be consistent.

It's gone away? Or still happening?

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
Rock (even very small) could have kicked up between brake pad and caliper, and then fallen out.
Check your rotors for visible gouges.
I'm not sure what the splash shield protecting the brake disc looks like yet but I've had rocks kick up and lodge between the shield and rotor as inv4zn says on my other vehicles. They usually drop out when I back up the car.

OP
OP
scsi

scsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It went away after about 45 seconds or so, before I could pull over to stop. I'll go check what I can on my rotors.

It really sounded metal on metal, but I guess Metal on rock would sound similar.

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
It went away after about 45 seconds or so, before I could pull over to stop. I'll go check what I can on my rotors.

It really sounded metal on metal, but I guess Metal on rock would sound similar.
Yes, loud and screechy, almost the same as when your brake pads wear out and the wear indicator starts rubbing on the rotor.

MPP_977

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX_HS
Had the same issue a month back. It went off the next day after couple of kilometres. Took it to get it inspected. They took 2 hours and later was guided about the small rock by them. Haven't heard that sound after that day.

OP
OP
scsi

scsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, it hasn't come back. Must have been a rock or something. I don't see any damage on the rotors, but I can only see the outside surface.