tonytypeR

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I recently installed coilovers on my car (using the spoon springs install guide) after runnning on springs for the last 8k miles. After installing the coils I noticed that when I am rolling in 2nd gear and go WOT, there is a loud clunk or knock that comes from the front end. It also happens to me when backing up a 40ft incline. I can feel it through the floor and it also doesn't happen everytime I floor it in second or back up an incline.

I am planning on checking every bolt I touched when I installed the coils but I was wondering if you guys had experienced this before and if there is something I should look out for.

Thanks
Sponsored

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
You check that you properly torqued the sway bar end links? Sounds like it could be the culprit.

OP
OP

tonytypeR

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
You check that your properly torqued the sway bar end links? Sounds like it could be the culprit.
had an alignment earlier this week and I asked them to see if it was loose or not. They confirmed with me that it was tight

Chicane_Si

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 SGP CTR (RIP), '05 SB S2000, 06 Silverado 1500
Country flag
Lots of people have clunks with this car once its lowered. No idea what the heck it is, but I assume it has to do with the complicated ball joint and suspension setup on the front of the car. When the geometry changes, it gets angry.

Could also be your top hats aren't completely tight from the construction line at the coilover manufacturer.

slow_delsol

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I had this problem when I installed spoon lowering springs on my DC5. Unlike other lowering springs like Tein, they have no rubber coating on the coils that rub against each other. When the spring are compressed it’s metal on metal which makes the clunking metal binding noise. I was never able to get the noise to go away. It’s a design flaw.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Check your balljoints. Also check to see if the rear spring perch is installed in the correct orientation