Lots of options nowadays, what turbo are you going to choose?

Drop-in of choice?!

• W1

• W2 journal bearing

• W2 ball bearing

• Rv6 r365 journal bearing

• Rv6 r365 Red Ball Bearing

• Vargas GC

• Vargas GC+

• MHI TD03

• OEM

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sport-injected

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
A few great drop-in turbo option came available this past year for the 1.5T in addition to what was already available. With all of the feedback and information available what drop-in turbo do you have or plan to go with? If you already have a drop-in turbo but plan to switch please vote for the turbo you are switching too! Thank you

Only currently released options listed.

I'll start, I have the Vargas GC turbo - love it, do not plan on going with anything different, it works perfectly for what my goals are. I had the rv6 r365 previous to this, I love rv6 as a company and the turbo treated me well but I wanted more of the bottom end torque back. The R365 red was not available when I decide to upgrade to the GC, still would have gone with GC.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ronny2019

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Coupe
Country flag
I will add mine as well to the GC+ Turbo is more than i expected. It spools like a factory turbo but that is the only thing that feels stock. It really pulls from 2500 to redline and wants to give more. I would not have been happier with anything else

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have td03 and I like it a lot. It's been reliable, and tuned si owners know I'm not on stock turbo 😉

I have GC+ waiting to go in. Time to shock some froggy folks wanting to jump

OP
OP
Sport-injected

Sport-injected

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I have td03 and I like it a lot. It's been reliable, and tuned si owners know I'm not on stock turbo 😉

Nice, didn't know you got the gc+, looking forward to hearing your thoughts vs the mhi.

OP
OP
Sport-injected

Sport-injected

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

Also did you cast your vote? The answer would be GC+ since that's what you are going with. You are a prime example of who I am aiming the poll at.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
the GC+ Turbo is more than i expected. It spools like a factory turbo but that is the only thing that feels stock. It really pulls from 2500 to redline and wants to give more.
I disagree with this. I feel the GC+ has a bit more lag before 3K RPMs than OEM, noticeable, but not at all unbearable. That said, the overall drivability is not substantively hampered, and 3K RPM is the ‘launch point’. If I need on-demand power, I’ve quickly learned to keep the RPMs at 3.5K.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I disagree with this. I feel the GC+ has a bit more lag before 3K RPMs than OEM, noticeable, but not at all unbearable. That said, the overall drivability is not substantively hampered, and 3K RPM is the ‘launch point’. If I need on-demand power, I’ve quickly learned to keep the RPMs at 3.5K.
This is one thing I'm going to miss about td03. It's spool up is fast fast fast

OP
OP
Sport-injected

Sport-injected

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The spool factor is the reason I went GC, the GC+ was released before I received my GC but I wanted lowest RPM response as possible. I think they said GC+ spool about 500 rpms later than GC, I'm at 26psi by 3000rpms.

I'm sure I'm missing out on some HP at top end but this is still an improvement over the R365 top end so I'm super happy with it!

OP
OP
Sport-injected

Sport-injected

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
So far team @VargasTurboTech representing lol!! I know there are a bunch of RV6 and 27won turbos out there.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I know there are a bunch of .... 27won turbos out there.
I think the W1 situation with failures had a lot of people looking elsewhere. I know it was likely a manufacturing defect and 27Won took care of things, but still. I mean D-Rob said he was seeing a "50-60%" failure rate and there have been five W1 failures in my tuning reliability thread.

OP
OP
Sport-injected

Sport-injected

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I think the W1 situation with failures had a lot of people looking elsewhere. I know it was likely a manufacturing defect and 27Won took care of things, but still. I mean D-Rob said he was seeing a "50-60%" failure rate and there have been five W1 failures in my tuning reliability thread.
Yeah that's a shame. Another reason i ended up with Vargas they have many years of making turbos for other makes of cars, so they came into this platform having worked out the kinks already. The R&D that went into their other turbos was used for making the GC / GC+ for the 1.5Ts. you can see that with how efficient their turbos are along with the solid power numbers and quick spool. Still not much time with their products on the civics so can't say much about reliability just yet, but I am hopeful they will last.

Ronny2019

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Coupe
Country flag
Ok well you say a bit laggy before 3500 well over stock i still belive with the added amount of air this turbo moves my car gets up to speed quicker with less pedal. Meaning that even when not in boost the engine is still getting more air into the cylinders before the valves close then with the oem turbo. In turn makes the rpms raise just a tad quicker. Unless the hvdp i have helps

Ronny2019

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Coupe
Country flag
The spool factor is the reason I went GC, the GC+ was released before I received my GC but I wanted lowest RPM response as possible. I think they said GC+ spool about 500 rpms later than GC, I'm at 26psi by 3000rpms.

I'm sure I'm missing out on some HP at top end but this is still an improvement over the R365 top end so I'm super happy with it!
So you run in map3 all the time?

VargasTurboTech

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vargasturbo.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 SI MT Sedan, 2020 A90 Supra, 2021 BMW M3C...
Country flag
You guys rock! Thanks for all the votes! Sorry for being MIA, just been so slammed. Everything has been so behind, we are FINALLY going to have a ton more turbos next week, just in time to fill all the BF orders! Hope you guys had a great holiday!