Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I love this car. I do. I'm just getting bored with her. I drive hundreds of miles a week for work. I'm in it all the time. I know the ins and outs of her, feature- and cosmetic-wise. Not so much mechanically, but I've been trying. I love "sporty vehicles," but I really love offroading. Maybe I just need to change directions with her.

I've only done simple mods, since I need her to be my reliable daily. They include, but aren't limited to; tint, intake, ktuner (hasn't been installed for a long time), strut bar, 7" touchscreen upgrade, LED headlight/fog lights, etc.

I've been sitting on quite a few mods, albeit still mostly cosmetic ones. 27won RMM, CTR 2017-19 shifter assembly with acuity bits, high flow grille (honeycomb), kc lights, Type R alcantara door armrests, Type R steering wheel, LED bulbs (other than the installed headlights/fog lights), switchback side markers, Eibach Sport line lowering springs, etc.

I've wanted things like a BBK, 27won hatch exhaust, etc. I can't justify spending a lot of time/money building this thing when I'm already losing interest. Mods can only keep me interested for so long. The car has 180 HP and is slow, but she's fun in corners, and the turbo sound is awesome. But offroading is just more fun to me. Anyone have any suggestions?

Honda Civic 10th gen Losing interest... help me fall back in love 20220525_195405
Sponsored

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan, 2015 Acura MDX Elite
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Trade in for a Tacoma while your car has value left. Nothing wrong with changing vehicles. And if you do miss the civic then trade the Tacoma back in. Financially not the best move but nothing worse than getting bored of something and slowly starting to hate it.

thatonejosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback (MT)
Country flag
As a person who's only driven civics their whole life as a daily driver (fresh out of university), I'm still loving how she rolls. Coming from a 06' to now my 18' Hatch - exactly like yours - it's completely rekindled my love for these semi-sporty eco cars. And what most excites me is the aftermarket parts and tuning.

Just like you, I'm holding out on mods and have my plans but the key difference I'm finding between us is your interest diminishing. I know perhaps one day I'll feel the same but I think that day will come once all my plans for the car are complete and I know how she handles driving around with all the work I'll eventually do.

I'd say just think about your needs. For me personally, I commute a city over and drive a lot so I wanted an economic car that I could have fun in on the back roads. So I went with what we both have. Manual trans, plenty of trunk space, good looking and reliable. All I need.

If you feel clear about your feelings towards the car now and off-roading is your passion, then I say go for the switch. I'll say from experience that these cars can do mild off-roading, I've gone over and under many dirt roads with these cars and they hold up well as long as you know their limits. Of course, a Jeep or larger SUV sized vehicle will beat the off road experience any day and if that's what you're after go for it.

You gotta love what you drive and drive what you love. Hope it turns out well for ya.

P.S. Love how your car has came along so far. Love the light bar at the front and that bike rack/upper deck going on.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
but I really love offroading.
There it is.

If you're looking for permission to move on, you have it.

It's okay to change your mind, and to change vehicles to something else.

At the end of the day, it's just a car, and now it doesn't suit you. Sell it, and move toward what seems to really ignite your passion. Life is short, art is real, and both deserve our attention.

✌🏼

Robot3RK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
When I drove this Honda Civic FK7 Hatchback Sport for the first time I felt it was the right car for me. After I found out the amazing car community this has and all the aftermarket modifications you can do to it, I got hooked! Car drives amazing and every new mod I add keeps me going with it! It's a keeper for me! I am on my 74th mod and even if I reach build completion, I will still drive it till it dies! It's an awesome car!

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
I went through the same thing recently, but my loss of interest was simply do to the fact I don’t drive too much any more or have the time/energy to go forward with all my plans to mod. On top of this, the 10th gen market is going up and I got a top dollar offer for my car.

At that point, it’s financial value became higher than my personal value and I decided to sell it last week. I bought a GLA 45 AMG and it was 100% the right decision. I loved my Civic and this community, but it was time for change. You might be at that point too.

jdm_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 FK8 CTR & More
Country flag
Depending on your financial situation, pick up an off-roader or trade in your Civic for a new vehicle.

I love off roading so I'm co owning a built 4runner trd pro with my brother. We both have our little hot hatches but we also love off roading.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
offroading is just more fun to me.

You pretty much said it. Trade it in while the used car value is high right now. Get a Tacoma or Maverick.

I am in a similar situation as you. My issue is that i dont find other replacement fit my criteria that well either. I like like my Civic road hugging driving position, decent enough speed + 40MPG + reliability.
If i have access to a charger at home, i probably would get a Tesla Model 3 in a heart beat.

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
You don’t want a Tacoma. Get a ford maverick for better gas mileage. The only thing that will make you snap out of it is working on the car and feeling like
accomplished something for it.

I don’t know why ktuner is considered unreliable. I have been tuned on 2 civics for over 40k miles. Not a single issue.

the civic is not for off roading. With the front lips and side skirts and etc that I have on the car(a). It’s a hassle just to jack the car up to work on it cause it’s so low. And I am not on lowering springs although I own them and they are sitting in a closet waiting to be installed.

I am not bored with my civics. But I want an SUV, I want a Supra, I want a gr86. I want a truck. The 22 hatchback has grown on me. I could see myself getting the integra. But I can’t justify paying msrp or above it with the current state of the market. 1 civic is paid off and the other has a pretty low balance. I probably have about $3k worth of mods brand new not installed.

you’re never going to be happy if you keep buying things and don’t install it. The best thing is honestly keeping a car totally stock and just enjoy driving it.

jdm_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 FK8 CTR & More
Country flag
I want an SUV, I want a Supra, I want a gr86. I want a truck.

you’re never going to be happy if you keep buying things and don’t install it. The best thing is honestly keeping a car totally stock and just enjoy driving it.
I owned an suv, supra, 86, and a truck within a 2 year time frame before dumping them. But the second part is so true and relatible, you'll never be happy no matter how much money you invest if you don't install. You only live once right? Buy that hks cai, buy that p600, wild out and enjoy what your civic can do

geeeek

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
Try driving a different car if you have a chance. Maybe rent a few cars on turo for a day. All I know is this civic is built really nicely from the factory. Not just things like mpg, but little things like how the door feels and sounds when I open and close it. The way the interior looks in general honestly

If you want to offroad though I think the choice seems pretty clear. Just make sure you won't miss the civic lol

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
You'll lose interest real quick in a off roader getting 10-15mpg driving hundreds of miles a week for work.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Get rid of it and make sure you find a good deal on what you want before trading out. Also, get values from Carmax and Carvana before you go to deal. They were giving the best trade prices around when I got out of mine. Take the highest offer to whatever dealer you are trying to deal with and see if they will match or beat that offer.

OP
OP
dktyson

dktyson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So after some really hard thinking, I believe I know part of what the issue is. I've been so busy with work and my hobby/2nd job (theatre), that I've basically stopped seeing my car as my main hobby. I'm deeply saddened by this revelation, because I love cars. Another thing (however silly) is Honda has slapped what I thought was an awesome/rare color on almost ever car in their lineup. Sonic Grey is no longer special. Lastly, I am coming from a 2003 Honda Pilot. I babied that thing hard until I realized it was pretty good in mud and sand. Then I switched to building it to be an offroader and it was a dream (as much as it could be with AWD). Until the trans died and I moved on. I think I miss the old girl.

I like tacomas a lot, but I do a lot of hauling/towing with my father's truck, so I would probably get a full-size, if I were to trade up from civic to truck. Probably F150 or Silverado, not sure about Rams.

I used to work for enterprise so I've gotten to drive things like camaro ss, scat pack chargers/challengers, f150, silverado, rams, etc. I like jeeps but the practicality, or lack-thereof, makes me lean away from them.

I've been doing some test drives lately, mainly some high country silverados and ram rebels, but a couple F150 as well. I've always been a fan of dodge products, not really ram, though they are pretty. There are WAAY too many out there for them to be special anymore.

Like I said I am not yet fully ready to drop the civic, as I still love to row my own gears. And I love that turbo spool. It's a good looking car too. I think a couple of you are right: install the mods and make those purchases worthwhile. I also wanna get back into going to car events/hanging with other likewise minded people and rekindle the love for the culture and the car itself. I've been out of touch too long.

I like the idea of adding an offroader to the lineup instead of trading the Civic for one. Maybe I'll save up some money for an offroader. Like a dedicated one. Or maybe another first gen pilot lol. That way I can have it both ways; on-road and offroad.

I really appreciate all your help guys. I've just been sad feeling like this because this was the car I really wanted. This was MY car. I have loved this car more than any other. I was surrounded by a cool community and had lots of aftermarket options. I think I have just taken advantage of it always being there as a commuting service. I'm going to change my line of thinking about it and see if that helps first.

I will update as time goes on how things are playing out!
Sponsored

Last edited: