USNguy

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Civic LX 2018 Civic LX HB
Country flag
I'm getting something similar that's really bugging me.

Just finished a 2200 mile road trip, and I noticed that my range would decrease significantly faster than my miles were increasing, even while my MPG was constant or even improving on average by .1-.5 over an hour, from 41.5 to about 42. When I filled the tank it had 440 mile range, when I got the low fuel light I had only gone around 370 miles. Is it possible there's a slight fuel leak or is Honda padding their range calculation?
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I'm getting something similar that's really bugging me.

Just finished a 2200 mile road trip, and I noticed that my range would decrease significantly faster than my miles were increasing, even while my MPG was constant or even improving on average by .1-.5 over an hour, from 41.5 to about 42. When I filled the tank it had 440 mile range, when I got the low fuel light I had only gone around 370 miles. Is it possible there's a slight fuel leak or is Honda padding their range calculation?
I doubt there's a fuel leak. I think all manufacturers tend to be a bit "optimistic" with their range calculation.

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
I only pay attention to the range when it’s down to the point where I need to fill up.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
You're not leaking. Range estimate Start is based on prior mileage and is only REDUCED by current mpg estimate. In my experience once it's set it never goes up - it may stay the same if you're now getting great mpg but will plummet if you are getting lower - think a long uphill or driving 80 when you were previously averaging 45.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
I've gotten up to 550 miles on a tank. But that was nearly all highway when I had a long commute every day and only drove back and forth to work. Now thanks to Covid I only work one day a week in the office, and while my tanks are lasting much longer as a result ... I'm averaging about 400 miles to a tank of fuel. I fill up after the low fuel warning comes up, usually driving another 30 miles most of the time. Fill ups are around 12 gallons.
Sponsored