amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic ex
Country flag
Hello all.. car newbie here.

2017 Civic EX 2.0L - bone stock

I just had a question about my range miles; there have been two times since the miles of range have dropped drastically—maybe every minute or so it would drop? Could there be something wrong? Maybe it's the style of driving or because of city driving, but it doesn't seem normal. Usually it wouldn't deplete that quickly. Not sure if this helps too but the range miles has gotten 'stuck' a couple of times as well.

Thanks, and I'm sorry if this is a dumb question.
Sponsored

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
Can you post what the computer is saying for efficiency?

Right off the top, the only thing that comes to mind is the fuel level float in the tank is getting stuck.

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
Hello all.. car newbie here.

2017 Civic EX 2.0L - bone stock

I just had a question about my range miles; there have been two times since the miles of range have dropped drastically—maybe every minute or so it would drop? Could there be something wrong? Maybe it's the style of driving or because of city driving, but it doesn't seem normal. Usually it wouldn't deplete that quickly. Not sure if this helps too but the range miles has gotten 'stuck' a couple of times as well.

Thanks, and I'm sorry if this is a dumb question.
Range miles left is just a conservative estimate - mine is off by 50-60 miles sometimes, based on how much fuel it takes me to top up the tank.

Since there are so many factors in calculating it (highway vs city driving, starts/stops, driving style, etc), you'll see it glitch a little every now and then. It won't wind down in a linear fashion. That's normal.

Enjoy your new car and don't sweat the range and MPG calcs so much - track your own MPG by your odometer and how much you're filling up to get an idea of how much true range you have left at any given tank level.

OP
OP

exiss

First Name
amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic ex
Country flag
Can you post what the computer is saying for efficiency?

Right off the top, the only thing that comes to mind is the fuel level float in the tank is getting stuck.
I'm sorry, but do you mean the dash when you say computer?

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The estimated range until empty is simply a math equation your car is constantly doing. The equation accounts for more variables than I'm showing here, but the basics of it is: Current fuel level * MPG = Miles until empty

If you fill up and get on the expressway for 10 miles, you'll have 40-50mpg. As soon as you get off and start city driving, that will plummet down very quickly. If you have a high average MPG, your miles until empty will be high also. I've also found that when you get the warning for low fuel, you have 2 gallons left in the tank.

OP
OP

exiss

First Name
amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic ex
Country flag
Hm.. I haven't really been on the highway much. Mostly been city driving, but I was driving for maybe 15 minutes and suddenly the gas level just dropped every few minutes. Sorry if I sound amateurish.. just worry about a lot of things haha.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
I get incredibly good mpg, average well over 40mpg through entire tanks of gas often.

I run the tank till the low fuel indicator shows, then when I get tbe receipt from filling up I write down the current mileage, and lately I have been writing what the car shows as average MPG. Doing so makes it easy to review and compare later.

FWIW the cars calculated average never seems to be exact but does seem approximately accurate. I know I can go another 30-40 miles when the dash shows 0 miles remaining, but doing so makes me a bit anxious.

Kramer and Newman on Seinfeld did it best.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I get incredibly good mpg, average well over 40mpg through entire tanks of gas often.

I run the tank till the low fuel indicator shows, then when I get tbe receipt from filling up I write down the current mileage, and lately I have been writing what the car shows as average MPG. Doing so makes it easy to review and compare later.

FWIW the cars calculated average never seems to be exact but does seem approximately accurate. I know I can go another 30-40 miles when the dash shows 0 miles remaining, but doing so makes me a bit anxious.

You should look into Fuelly.com. They make a nice app and it creates nice graphs and stuff. I've been using it for years.

Honda Civic 10th gen Losing gas really quickly? Capture.JPG

Bullet_127

First Name
Arturo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Is it safe to let the fuel level to hit that low?

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If possible, you should always fill the vehicle up before it hits 0. The in-tank fuel pump requires fuel to keep it cool. Running your tank too empty will un-submerge your fuel pump causing it to heat up or, worse for it still, suck up air.

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
Hold on, you may be missing a setting... You can go into the infotainment screen and change the way the MPG range is read. It behaves very differently depending on how that is set, especially (I assume) if the car is brand new. You can set it to recalculate after each fuel fill up, or you can set it to calculate long term (Trip A/B tripometer). If set to calculate at each fill up your range reader reacts a lot and you'll see a bunch of movement on that range until you drive for a bit, maybe a quarter tank of gas. I'd go into the settings to see where yours is set before you worry too much about it.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Most fuel pumps are liquid cooled meaning the fuel cools them. I assume ours is the same. I know our fuel tank is rated at 12.4 gallons, and the biggest fill up I have had to date is 11.8 gallons which was driving on 0 miles remaining for about 15 miles.

Despite the common wisdom, I can tell you that I have run my cars down to empty for over 15 years now quite regularly and have yet to need a fuel pump replaced. Have not run out of fuel during that time either.

Experience may vary, but that's mine.

Last edited:

DoubleDown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
After I got my AC unit fixed, my mpg went from a consistent 28 mpg to 23 mpg. My driving habits haven't changed, and my car is bone stock. The paranoid side of me thinks the dealership purposely did something to my car, since they were desperately trying to charge me over $1800 to fix the AC. I had to get Honda NA involved, and they sent the parts to the dealership, only to tell me they don't honor warranty work, lol. Long story short, after calling Honda NA again, they managed to get the dealership to honor the warranty. With that being said, the dealership was not happy with me, which leads me to believe they 'did something' to my car. I just don't know how it can drop from mid 28 mpg, to low 23 mpg.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
After I got my AC unit fixed, my mpg went from a consistent 28 mpg to 23 mpg. My driving habits haven't changed, and my car is bone stock. The paranoid side of me thinks the dealership purposely did something to my car, since they were desperately trying to charge me over $1800 to fix the AC. I had to get Honda NA involved, and they sent the parts to the dealership, only to tell me they don't honor warranty work, lol. Long story short, after calling Honda NA again, they managed to get the dealership to honor the warranty. With that being said, the dealership was not happy with me, which leads me to believe they 'did something' to my car. I just don't know how it can drop from mid 28 mpg, to low 23 mpg.
I had the same thing when I brought my car in for the AC recall. I suspected they let it sit running at idle for a while to implement and confirm the AC fix was working.

I know they didn't drive it because I was sitting outside the service bay while they did the fix. They drove it in and about 2 hours later I drove it home.

Daniel644

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan, 2003 Trailblazer LS, 1999 Pontiac Firebird
Country flag
I had the same thing when I brought my car in for the AC recall. I suspected they let it sit running at idle for a while to implement and confirm the AC fix was working.

I know they didn't drive it because I was sitting outside the service bay while they did the fix. They drove it in and about 2 hours later I drove it home.
yes, pulliing a vacuum and recharging an AC system takes a while and the recharging part requires the car to be running.
Sponsored