Looking to not get killed on car insurance and own multiple cars - Any tips?

Tonezorz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Series.Yellow BRZ, 2014 Legacy, 2015 Crosstrek. Previous: 2011 Miata GT PRHT 2009 Forester XT, 2007 Cobalt
So in purchasing a Civic Si soon I'm looking to justify keeping both cars we currently own. I'm curious if anyone has tips on how they own say, 3 cars or more (for a 2 person household) and don't just get absolutely killed by their insurance?

You read about "car people" owning 5-10 cars and I wonder how they do anything except work a second job for those premiums.
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
One thing I've learned is that you typically get lower rates in general if you have more cars on your policy.

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
Some offer a multi car discount. FWIW my new SI dropped my insurance 200 bucks a year over my 15..

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
I have my S2000 insured as being driven less than 7500 miles a year, which lowers it some. That one is $55/month and my Civic is $81/month (same coverages) through State Farm. But without the multi-car discount my Civic would be more than $81/month. But since you already have multiple cars, I doubt you'd get any additional break for a third one.

State Farm told they don't offer another tier below the <7500 mile/year one, but I think there might be specialty insurers that offer policies for fewer miles that might be cheaper.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm at double/triple state limits with GEICO. Multi-car discount. My Touring is $34/mo.

Others quoted for (easily) twice if not three times that.

I'm a Fed though, so I also get an additional discount for that.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
I'm at double/triple state limits with GEICO. Multi-car discount. My Touring is $34/mo.

Others quoted for (easily) twice if not three times that.

I'm a Fed though, so I also get an additional discount for that.
Holy crap, that is way less than my $81. And my record is completely clean so that's not it. Dang, maybe the commercials are true. I need to look into that

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Holy crap, that is way less than my $81. And my record is completely clean so that's not it. Dang, maybe the commercials are true. I need to look into that
Haha, yeah it might be. Eh, I'm close to being convicted for reckless though, so it won't stay that way for long :thumbsdown:

But, before my stupidity, I had a clean record for 10 years of driving. Never hurts to get a quote...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R #00969 BLK, 2015 Nissan 370Z Roadster (BLK), 2019 Civic Si Modern Steel Metalic
Country flag
Make sure your policy considers the percentage of time you will be driving the vehicles. Don't list your most expensive car as your primary.

LuckyPenny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV, Motorcycle
It is really hard to compare premiums to other people online because they rarely disclose their policy details! I have two vehicles. One is $100 / month and the other is $10 / month. The cheaper vehicle doesn't have comp/collision coverage. The more expensive vehicle includes those coverages as well as higher limits across the board. Both vehicles carry many, many multiples of the state minimum liability limits.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Something I just read about is https://www.metromile.com/ - they charge you a lower base rate per month and then on top of that you pay a fee per mile that you drive. If you won't be putting a lot of miles on your Si, it might be cheaper than a regular policy. Other insurance has low-mile tiers but with State Farm, 7500 was their minimum, and now that I'm with Traveler's, 6000 is their minimum.

Cintx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T HS CVT Aegean Blue
Country flag
I shopped around and that's the best advice I can give you.

I ended up using Costco's brokerage firm and got my 2017 Civic EXT insured for $115 CDN monthly. I have $2 million liability and medical, accident and ticket forgiveness, car rental in case of accident, etc. It's full coverage and mostly maxed out except for wage replacement as I have that from work.

I also added replacement insurance. In the case of a total loss they give me the value of the car at the time of purchase instead of what the book value is at time of incident.
Sponsored