rojohi

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hatch Sport, 2018 CW CTR
Country flag
Hey folks, there is a used 2018 CTR for sale with about 3000 km on it for sale at a dealer.

Don't know the backstory yet, but I am guessing it was sitting in a garage.

Other tan the usual things to look for when buying used, is there anything specific to the CTR that I should be focusing on?

Thank you
Sponsored

ehCobra

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Civic Type-R
Country flag
I would probably just be checking for any transmission grinds during the test drive.

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
wheels and tires - bent wheels, tread life on the tires. These things are not cheap to replace on your own.

Hatchi

First Name
Liam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Prius, 2020 BBP CTR
Country flag
I second transmission problems, common problems are as follows:
> Getting locked from entering first
> First gear to Second gear grind (will sound very noticeable but only happens sometimes and is especially bad if you miss the shift point)
> Being locked out of Fourth gear when downshifting from Fifth gear.

Side Note: Ask if they've had any work done related to the transmission such as adjust the clutch master cylinder, replace trans fluid, etc. It'll just be good to know for your own reference.

The Conti6's (the tires) on the stock type R's cost a ton, they last about 10k miles so just double check when the last set was bought and judge it based off that.

Otherwise the only other thing is Alcantara starts getting crappy when left in the sun, so just double check the quality of it when checking out the car.

OP
OP

rojohi

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I second transmission problems, common problems are as follows:
> Getting locked from entering first
> First gear to Second gear grind (will sound very noticeable but only happens sometimes and is especially bad if you miss the shift point)
> Being locked out of Fourth gear when downshifting from Fifth gear.

Side Note: Ask if they've had any work done related to the transmission such as adjust the clutch master cylinder, replace trans fluid, etc. It'll just be good to know for your own reference.

The Conti6's (the tires) on the stock type R's cost a ton, they last about 10k miles so just double check when the last set was bought and judge it based off that.

Otherwise the only other thing is Alcantara starts getting crappy when left in the sun, so just double check the quality of it when checking out the car.
it has less than 2000 miles on it, so I doubt anything, but I will definitely check.

Thanks

Hatchi

First Name
Liam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Prius, 2020 BBP CTR
Country flag
it has less than 2000 miles on it, so I doubt anything, but I will definitely check.

Thanks
Solid, just a note then as a potential future owner, you'll wanna rotate the tires around every 3k miles for the continentals, im at 1500 on mine and I can already start to see signs of uneven wear between the front and rear tires. Though your sprited driving miles may vary haha

rwht

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FK8 (Incoming)
Country flag
Make sure you get a copy of the CarFax before making a decision. There was a 2019 Type R with 6000km in my area for a good price, but CarFax showed a $4k repair estimate on it. Good to know this information up front to either negotiate further, or consider something else altogether depending what's reported.

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The best thing to do is budget a set of 18"s or 19"s in your purchase. My OEM wheels have <1000 miles on them before I switched to Motegi MR924s, which are very close to OEM spec but are 19" and significantly cheaper. All four of my MR924s with tires cost as much as one unshod 20" wheel from the dealer.

Aftermarket is the cheapest Wheel/Tire Protection Plan.
That is ONE option, but not necessarily the "best" option. We don't know the OP's priorities.

OP
OP

rojohi

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Test drive was fun, carfax is clear, extended warranty was purchased by original owner, and deposit is made.

I tried changing gears as many ways possible (aggressive, easy, quick, slow, skipping gears up and down) and no 1st or 4th gear lockout or grinding second. I know it means nothing, but promising sign.

I will bring it to an independent shop next week, and if they confirm that it's clean, it will be mine.

Thank you folks.

Salespunk

First Name
MO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R, Ram 2500, 328 Wagon
Country flag
Check the inside of the left front tire specifically. Ask me how I know.

TypeX

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ASPEC RDX
Country flag
Make sure you get a copy of the CarFax before making a decision. There was a 2019 Type R with 6000km in my area for a good price, but CarFax showed a $4k repair estimate on it. Good to know this information up front to either negotiate further, or consider something else altogether depending what's reported.
+1 on the carfax
Local dealer here had a fk8 for months and when they got it in had aftermarket rims, was beat up.. sat there so long they warranteed thr wheels n other things and after 4 months it was back to ‘stock’ to hide the abuse..

only way it was noticeable was the carfax history that showed the fixes and the historical cached search & checking old dealer ig posts.

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don't know of any scenario where what I described is better than keeping the stock wheels that are very rough and very fragile and the stock tires that are very soft, but okay.
Keeping stock setup - There is no aftermarket wheel and tire package that maintains the stock setup

Keeping the stock look - some of us like the stock wheels better than anything else out there

Cost - Its a lot to shell out thousands on trying to prevent something that might happen (not everyone has bent the stock wheels) when you can get replacement stock wheels cheap in the secondary market.

again you don't know the OP's priorities.
Sponsored