kpelkey151

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI
Country flag
Doesn't seem to really be any Civic SIs in the Pittsburgh Area. Either way a local Honda dealer has a 2018 White SI CPO for $22500 at 13,000 miles. This seems pretty high to me as I feel I could purchase a new 2019 for the same price.

Any thoughts on what a fair negotiation would be on this?
Sponsored

MarkR171

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si, '17 MX5, '01 Miata
Country flag
I feel I could purchase a new 2019 for the same price.
Do this. I paid 23k flat before taxes for my 2019 coupe. When you become the 2nd owner for a 2018, you now own a car that's a year old and two owners deep and the value will be a lot lower than if you bought a current year car and are the original owner. If you're financing, you're also likely paying a higher interest rate on the used car too.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A lot of folks are getting new Sis for around that 22.5k price. The CPO doesn't sound like a good deal at all. They're supposed to add additional warranty as a CPO car as an incentive to buy a like-new used one (they have to pass an extensive inspection to be considered a CPO), but at a lower price point. The price point isn't there. It ought to be at least a couple thousand less. I'd use websites like trucar and see what a fair price in your area is, as it is somewhat region-dependent and go from there. For a year old model... with the 2019 having some slight changes, though nothing really mechanically, I'd think 20-21k with a full years worth of miles is more reasonable... and even then maybe not all that great when compared to buying a new car. Certified preowned vehicles don't really shine in value when they're a year old. When it's a 3 year old lease return for a huge discount over a new car but with additional warranty added to make it have still have a decent amount. I think CPOs get 7 year, 100k miles warranties on the powertrain and a little more... (I think just a year and 12k miles bumper-to-bumper.

So... ~3 year old off-lease CPOs? Good value. You can find many cars at about 3/5-2/3 their original price with nearly the same amount of years/miles as a factory warranty. If the model is still the current generation, even better. A 1 year CPO...? I don't think it'll ever be that great. I'd just go for the new one and fight for the best deal you can get.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Doesn't seem to really be any Civic SIs in the Pittsburgh Area. Either way a local Honda dealer has a 2018 White SI CPO for $22500 at 13,000 miles. This seems pretty high to me as I feel I could purchase a new 2019 for the same price.

Any thoughts on what a fair negotiation would be on this?
I was in the same boat last fall. White 2018 SI CPO sedan w/ around 6K miles here in central PA. I think the dealer wanted $23500 originally, but the price dropped to $22-something before it sold (or at least disappeared from their inventory). I was close to purchasing it, but the dealer took forever to get back to me after I test drove it, so I decided to just wait for the '19s. Personally, unless you need a car now, just get a 2019. You don't have to worry about what the previous owner did to the car and you get the volume knob and improved parking brake button. Price won't be much more either. Just email a bunch of dealers in the area and ask them for the best price they can do. When I called around for my '19, the best price was around $23800 if I recall correctly.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Also... even assuming the 2018 was new, it would have still depreciated sitting on the lot and should be purchased for around $1000 less than a new 2019, assuming equivalent trims. The fact that it's used, CPO or not, is doubly damning. If the best deal I could get a new '19 for 23.5 OTD, I'd expect the new '18 to be $22.5 or so based on depreciation alone which you could throw cold hard numbers at the dealer to back up. Just go to trucar and do a comparison between a 18 and a 17, both used with the same miles to set up the scenario (I don't think you can do it comparing a '18 and '19 yet because they won't have data on a used '19... but you can try). This will set up the scenario of buying a leftover '17 vs a identical but model-year newer '18 last year... and having a year pass and compare their values. They're both only 1 year old cars, to you, with the same amount of mileage and wear and tear... but the '17 would be worth less because it's a '17.

...this deal is far worse, because it's not choosing from 2 new cars, one a model year older. The one that the model year older is actually used w/a years worth of miles on it... CPO warranty or not. Again, CPOs at a year old just don't make for a good deal. They need some age/miles on them for the deal to shine. Check out ~3-4 year old CPO BMWs and compare them to their MSRP. You still get a lot of warranty and get into a more premium car for a not-premium price and make for a good deal. You just won't get there on a 1 year old car.

hcivic12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2018
Country flag
I was in the same situation as you. Im actually buying an 18 Si today, but I think I got a fair deal. Best deal for 2019 Si was 30.5 k$ (CAD $), and i got the 2018 at 26 k$ with extended warrant 7years/160km.
Maybe you could get something similar

jgreen16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX Hatch, 1990 Chevrolet C1500
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We got my son's 2018 Si new for $21,875 at a dealer less than an hour away from Pittsburgh. Not a high volume dealer, but was also offered the same price from a dealer in Akron, but not in the color he wanted.

OP
OP

kpelkey151

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI
Country flag
I have reached out to a few dealers so far. First to respond came in about 500 below MSRP with essentially the White Sedan I was looking for. The second came in about 2K below MSRP but for a White Coupe. I was super surprised about the second one as I haven't even started my negotiations.

MarkR171

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si, '17 MX5, '01 Miata
Country flag
The second came in about 2K below MSRP but for a White Coupe. I was super surprised about the second one as I haven't even started my negotiations.
Depends on the dealer, salesman, and finance guy. Same story for my white coupe. The first number I got was 2k below msrp.

OP
OP

kpelkey151

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI
Country flag
Went to see the PWP SI in person. Dealer came down to 23870 without me even saying anything. He also said lets wait until next month to continue talks as he believes there may be better financial rates offered. Makes me feel good that he is looking out for me and not trying to het another sell in before end of month.

The PWP is beautiful. Anyone have other color recommendations or is that hands down the best?

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
dont buy a used si. its probably been flashed and abused. start fresh with a nw 2019.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
oh and the best color is black. its very sleek and sexy. red is nice too..

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
@kpelkey151 I was 95% sure I was going to buy a white Si until I looked at a red one. Purchased it on the spot. I think the red w/ the piano black just looks very nice. Not a big fan of the black ones since with the piano black grill, it's just too much, IMO. Don't care for grey since everyone drives grey cars now, even though some of the shades do look nice. Blue is OK as well.
Sponsored