King Journey

First Name
Journey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX, 2003 Lancer
Country flag
Hey guys long time lurker first time poster (I think lol.) Anyway I currently drive a 2018 CVT EX hatch, Its a great car but it just feels like a "car" nothing more. I don't have any mods besides a muffler delete and I honestly don't want to risk upgrading power because I've read so many CVT horror stories.
So my question for you guys is should I (A) trade it in for a 2021 Si when they come out later this year? (B) Trade it in for a 2020 WRX? Or (C) keep it and modify it?

Has anyone driven a Si and a WRX how do they compare? I love the WRX its been my dream car since I was little but does it justify the almost $5k difference in price?
Sponsored

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17ā€™ Si FC3, 17ā€™ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22ā€™ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Hey guys long time lurker first time poster (I think lol.) Anyway I currently drive a 2018 CVT EX hatch, Its a great car but it just feels like a "car" nothing more. I don't have any mods besides a muffler delete and I honestly don't want to risk upgrading power because I've read so many CVT horror stories.
So my question for you guys is should I (A) trade it in for a 2021 Si when they come out later this year? (B) Trade it in for a 2020 WRX? Or (C) keep it and modify it?

Has anyone driven a Si and a WRX how do they compare? I love the WRX its been my dream car since I was little but does it justify the almost $5k difference in price?
WRX has a heavier clutch, but probably better feel than the Si clutch. The Si clutch is fine, it just very inconsistent because of the delay valve/dual mass flywheel/rev hang.

WRX will have more power and AWD. AWD cars are heavier, but definitely will feel more planted to the road.

I see youā€™re from Texas, so youā€™ll never see any benefits from AWD in the winter months. Subarus see a lot of popularity gain in the Northern states and Canada because of this.

If you intend to keep the vehicle for more than 5 years, a Honda will prove to be more reliable. Subaruā€™s boxer engines tend to see more problems in the long term when pushed to extremes.

Last edited:

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you're not going crazy with mods, you'll be fine with a CVT. I read some posts the other day from a guy with CVT and he has been pushing somewhere around 230hp for like a year with no issues. If you beat the piss out of the cvt, it's going to give out on you. If you're mindful of too much torque and do your maintenance, you should be fine. It doesn't sound like you want a straight up racecar anyways!

That being said, the SI is an awesome platform and I think there are some Si's up in the 300's so if you want to really go to town on mods, like full bolt ons, tune, fuel kit, I'd definitely go for the Si.

I will mention I'm super biased against Subies, they crap out easily as @SDAlexander8 pointed out. That's my biggest problem with them compared to Hondas... you won't get that WRX to 200 or 300k miles. If you don't plan on owning for more than a few years, probably not a big deal. That AWD is nice but doesn't do much in Texas as also mentioned above.

FWIW I have a CVT and plan to get to about 220-230 whp and wtq and keep it there. If you aren't launching the car and stuff like that you shouldn't wear the transmission that much more than normal. It's the instantaneous torque that kills these CVT's.

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si

New Civic generation comes out this year and new WRX next year. Since you have a 2018 EX hatchback I would wait and see, maybe get Ktuner and do a mild tune in the meantime.

..FWIW I have a CVT and plan to get to about 220-230 whp and wtq and keep it there. If you aren't launching the car and stuff like that you shouldn't wear the transmission that much more than normal. It's the instantaneous torque that kills these CVT's.
What a crazy time we live in where we worry that our Civic has too much instantaneous torque ?

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm kind of doubting that we are actually going to see the rework this year with what is going on. They may hold off until next year for new model to save money. Anyway, it's all up to your personal preference and what you can actually afford. People on a forum are not going to be able to tell you what you want or can afford.

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
Too early for new gen. Most likely next year.

OP
OP
King Journey

King Journey

First Name
Journey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX, 2003 Lancer
Country flag
If you're not going crazy with mods, you'll be fine with a CVT. I read some posts the other day from a guy with CVT and he has been pushing somewhere around 230hp for like a year with no issues. If you beat the piss out of the cvt, it's going to give out on you. If you're mindful of too much torque and do your maintenance, you should be fine. It doesn't sound like you want a straight up racecar anyways!

That being said, the SI is an awesome platform and I think there are some Si's up in the 300's so if you want to really go to town on mods, like full bolt ons, tune, fuel kit, I'd definitely go for the Si.

I will mention I'm super biased against Subies, they crap out easily as @SDAlexander8 pointed out. That's my biggest problem with them compared to Hondas... you won't get that WRX to 200 or 300k miles. If you don't plan on owning for more than a few years, probably not a big deal. That AWD is nice but doesn't do much in Texas as also mentioned above.

FWIW I have a CVT and plan to get to about 220-230 whp and wtq and keep it there. If you aren't launching the car and stuff like that you shouldn't wear the transmission that much more than normal. It's the instantaneous torque that kills these CVT's.
Hmm interesting feedback! rn I'm kinda set on selling the CVT just because driving an auto isn't enjoyable where I currently live. (Maybe if I had padlle shifters but I have an ex) Half open roads half mini suburbs/city so I'm not sitting in stop and go by any means. I really wanna drive manual! Gonna test drive all in a month or two.
So the subie you got what happened exactly?

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hmm interesting feedback! rn I'm kinda set on selling the CVT just because driving an auto isn't enjoyable where I currently live. (Maybe if I had padlle shifters but I have an ex) Half open roads half mini suburbs/city so I'm not sitting in stop and go by any means. I really wanna drive manual! Gonna test drive all in a month or two.
So the subie you got what happened exactly?
So I personally don't buy Subies, I had a friend in high school with nonstop problems and it was like not too far over 100k miles. One of my bosses had one of the newer ones and it was in the shop every so often - but he bought it brand new and this was after at most 2 years of pretty normal use, no tracking or racing other than an occasional pull on a highway, so it shouldn't be in the shop much at all. That's why I put in there it's a personal issue with Subies, I don't have data or facts to back me up so it's merely an opinion based on what I've seen from people I personally knew!

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Gen 10 is long in the tooth at this point if you already have an ā€˜18. Iā€™d wait and see what gen 11 has to offer. The Si is a fun car to me... but if I didnā€™t care much for a non-Si w/a CVT Civic... my feeling would go probably from cool to lukewarm at best. If youā€™re not into your present Civic, Iā€™d cross shop heavily and see if thereā€™s something else that youā€™d prefer. Iā€™d not limit myself to just a WRX either. Thereā€™s a lot of compelling options under $30k and to me Iā€™d have to option a WRX out into that range to want one. Mazda3 should be a compelling choice at that time w/a AWD turbo option. Iā€™ve liked the 3s somewhat... but their weak engines could never make up for their nice-but-funky interiors. GTI/GLIs should be an even stronger showing as well.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
don't wait for an 11th gen civic. from what I've seen it's no big deal. a civic that looks more like the current accord. not as good looking, IMO, as the 10th gen. I'd love to sell my (paid off) 10th gen civic 6MT coupe (with 25K miles on it) and get a new Acura ILX (about 25-30K) but the responsible side of me is telling me "are you nuts?" "you've got a like new paid off civic that you really like, you idiot!" 20 years ago I would have gone back into debt for the new ILX. Now, not so much.
Sponsored