Looking for RV6 Rear Sway Bar Impressions

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
As I get more into track driving, I'm looking into upgrading to an RV6 rear sway bar. My primary goal is to improve turn in response. I've read that upgrading to a stiffer rear sway bar is a good way to increase rotation in high-speed corners; at my current skill level though, I'd prefer to maintain a more neutral balance as opposed to inducing oversteer.

My question is this: for those who have upgraded to a stiffer rear sway bar, have you noticed an increase in propensity for oversteer during high-speed turns? Or do you consider "increased rotation" in turns to be separate and discrete from "oversteer"?
Sponsored

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2006 v8 4x4 4Runner
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I believe @Lust has recently installed on and got some seat time with it.

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I believe @Lust has recently installed on and got some seat time with it.
Thanks! I believe that he was kind enough to share some of his experiences in another thread, but I would be grateful for any new impressions that he might have.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I’m still on the middle setting on my RV6 bar. Before the car was slightly under steer. I would say now with the RV6 bar, the car feels more nimble and neutral actually. Definitely nothing close to oversteer. You turn the wheel and the car follows like you’d expect. Feels much more precise and predictable. Hopefully this helps.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I followed Lust’s lead and am waiting for RV6 suspension goods to arrive. The rear sway is backordered but should be restocked this week or next.

Going to do one more track day stock, then hopefully the sway bar will be on for the next outing.

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
I’m still on the middle setting on my RV6 bar. Before the car was slightly under steer. I would say now with the RV6 bar, the car feels more nimble and neutral actually. Definitely nothing close to oversteer. You turn the wheel and the car follows like you’d expect. Feels much more precise and predictable. Hopefully this helps.
Did you get the end links as well or keep the stocks? Also how hard was the install? It looks a little complicated.

trucke

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR; 2022 Civic Si; 1987 Corolla FX16 GT-S
Country flag
I don't have the RV6, but the Karcepts. I had this set at 1,265 lbs/in and that revealed snap oversteer under hard braking. Now set at 1,119 lbs. in and it seems to offer a hint of the back end coming around. Perfect for autocross. The RV6 bar looks to have some settings under 1,119 so it should be okay at the lower settings.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Did you get the end links as well or keep the stocks? Also how hard was the install? It looks a little complicated.
Install wasn’t hard really. Just had to play around with jacking up the control arms to have the holes line up.

End links were a must for a lowered car.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
I don't recall having to over-correct any steering at my last track event. This was on completely factory car with the front camber pins removed, 35f/38r.

Braking before turn in, I'd end up over utilizing the front tires (Potenza S007a) and just have to control the understeer. This was pretty confident inspiring as I always knew the car wouldn't oversteer.

With a stiffer rear bar, are you still trying to manage understeer during steady state cornering/partial throttle? Did you notice any tendency to oversteer during corner entry?

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I don't recall having to over-correct any steering at my last track event. This was on completely factory car with the front camber pins removed, 35f/38r.

Braking before turn in, I'd end up over utilizing the front tires (Potenza S007a) and just have to control the understeer. This was pretty confident inspiring as I always knew the car wouldn't oversteer.

With a stiffer rear bar, are you still trying to manage understeer during steady state cornering/partial throttle? Did you notice any tendency to oversteer during corner entry?
No oversteer tendencies for me. I’m not sure if driving style plays a role into it. The best way to describe it is turn in being immediate and the car stays on line vs kinda plowing off in a stock car.

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do you guys think that a stiffer front sway bar would be beneficial as well? I've read that they can improve steering response, but I've also been told that a stiffer front sway can induce understeer.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Do you guys think that a stiffer front sway bar would be beneficial as well? I've read that they can improve steering response, but I've also been told that a stiffer front sway can induce understeer.
Steering response is already good IMO. I wouldn’t bother much with the front sway

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
I think upgrading the front bar became popular in the autox scene, where there are a lot of tight corners/turns and a stiffer front bar would give you that quicker turn in response.

On a street/track driven car, it's more about high speed long sweepers. Your chances of needing immediate turn in response is less important than trying to carry a sweeper turn and not understeering.

With that said, I'm also looking at potentially getting a rear bar and RV6 seems to be my top choice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I appreciate the feedback. To clarify: one of my goals is increased turn in feel (I love the feeling of having heavier/sharper steering). It sounds like I can achieve that with a front sway bar. Question is: does adding stiffness to the front sway directly correlate to a reduction in the effect of the rear sway bar? If so, can I just stiffen my rear my a proportionate amount to even it out?

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I appreciate the feedback. To clarify: one of my goals is increased turn in feel (I love the feeling of having heavier/sharper steering). It sounds like I can achieve that with a front sway bar. Question is: does adding stiffness to the front sway directly correlate to a reduction in the effect of the rear sway bar? If so, can I just stiffen my rear my a proportionate amount to even it out?
I would just start with a stiffer rear bar... increasing stiffness in the front will create understeer
Sponsored