Looking for opinions on the sedan's taillights, specifically deleting the upper, useless half.

Triple Six

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Ex-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just curious to see what you guys think of this. To me, the parenthesis lights definitely make them stand out on the road, but I think they look a little strange.

All of the actual used lights, ie the actual brake light, turn signals, and reverse lights are all in the bottom half of the taillight. I personally think deleting the upper half has zero negative effect on visibility or anything of the sort (as I mentioned nothing is used in the upper half) and I think it makes it look so much more sleek, stylish and aggressive from the back.

What are your thoughts?

Also, for whatever it's worth, I've had my tails like this for three years now without issue.

Honda Civic 10th gen Looking for opinions on the sedan's taillights, specifically deleting the upper, useless half. F0E98DB3-1BFD-4149-BC70-E39863054EB3

Honda Civic 10th gen Looking for opinions on the sedan's taillights, specifically deleting the upper, useless half. 30D99D60-879B-4EFB-A27E-257BE3081963

Last edited:

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
But the top part still lights up with your low-beams/brakes, right? Therefore you can't really claim they have no effect or are unused; the more red light in my face to tell me you are braking the better.
Also, I think Honda was going more of a 'C' shape for 'Civic' rather than a parenthesis ;)

OP
OP
Triple Six

Triple Six

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Ex-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
But the top part still lights up with your low-beams/brakes, right? Therefore you can't really claim they have no effect or are unused; the more red light in my face to tell me you are braking the better.
Also, I think Honda was going more of a 'C' shape for 'Civic' rather than a parenthesis ;)
It's DRL style. It lights up when I turn my headlights on, but the upper half doesn't activate/get any brighter when the brake is applied or anything like that.

OP
OP
Triple Six

Triple Six

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Ex-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Doesn’t look bad like that, but I kinda like as is. I always pay attention for other civics on the road, and the distinctive tail lights make it easier to spot at night.
Yeah, I can definitely understand that. Makes mine look not really like a civic I suppose .. But I just love the look!

TheHorse13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX
Country flag
I really wish that Honda did the same layout on the sedan tail lights as the coupe. The coupe tail lights are beautiful.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I kinda' like this idea. I always felt like the marker light design made it look like a crab.

Agreed: re trying not to delete any actual brake indicators.

Is there not a simple power wire or a bulb/LED strip that we can disconnect as an alternative to using a covering on the lens?

sillycar

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport Sedan Black, 2020 Honda Pilot EX
Country flag
Yeah, I can definitely understand that. Makes mine look not really like a civic I suppose .. But I just love the look!
The dark photos, especially the one in the parking garage make me think Scion TC (circa 2013 with the L shaped tail lights)... I liked that look too though, so I'm not saying it looks bad... I like it.

Tw1tcHy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Hmm maybe just me, but not really feeling it. The distinctive "C" tail lights were actually a draw for me when this generation first debuted. I can see where you were going with it though and if it didn't require a plainly visible portion of the light assembly not being utilized, I could probably get behind it more.

1Texan

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX Sedan CBP
Country flag
The sedan tail lights are the reason I didn't go with the coupe this time around. Not saying I don't like the coupe's, but as mentioned prior, I like the look coming across one at night. It stands out in a good way IMO.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I get the whole "C" idea Honda uses. That's cool. But man oh man the sedan taillights are just way too big. That and the fake vents are the two elements of the design Honda got wrong IMO.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m kind of neutral in the change. I do think the 9th gens rear/lights look better than ours. It’s the one angle after 2.5 years of owning the car I still think looks bad and literally whatever the 11th gen does is going to make our cars look instantly faddish and dated.
Sponsored