Looking for lightweight lug nuts with unique security features - any suggestions?

DyM

First Name
Dmitry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ladies and Genltebois,

Like the title says, I'm looking for the lightest set of conical lug nuts I can get in 12x1.5 (correct me if I'm wrong on the thread pitch for an Si) that come with a step up in terms of security. Currently on Gorrillas for my OEMs but I'm switching to a lightened set of wheels, and would like to continue shaving the unsprung weight specifically. A buddy of mine introduced me to Rays Duralumin lugs, and I was impressed with the weight, but I'm concerned that even the 7-sided ones would be too easy to remove. Since then, I've been on the hunt for a set that runs a balance of weight AND unique security.

I understand Project Kics/Muteki/Project Mu/Iconix are the usual move but (while I admit they have some neat security features) they're not really competitive in terms of weight. Most are steel alloy, rather than the A7075 which Rays are made of. The inverse is true with the titanium lugs I've found (Titan7, Muteki, Gorilla) which either lack security features, or are not even real Ti. One exception is Raceseng's line of titanium locking nuts which are true Ti, and have a fairly unique socket - but they're sold out, and Raceseng isn't responding to my emails regarding availability.

So... if you have the same requirements I do, and have managed to find a solution that satisfies them both, I'd love to hear what make/model did the job for you.

Stay safe, everyone!:headbang:
Sponsored

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I wish I had so much extra money I was looking for Ti lug nuts haha

... Seriously though, how much weight do you save in total. Sorry I couldn't point you in the right direction but I am curious.

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
I wish I had so much extra money I was looking for Ti lug nuts haha

... Seriously though, how much weight do you save in total. Sorry I couldn't point you in the right direction but I am curious.
Not enough to outweigh them becoming seized lol. If you really wanna drop unsprung weight I’m surprised he hasn’t gone to an 8th gen front brake setup. It’s a smaller and lighter.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I agree with the others, if you are focused on security you will have to give up some of the weight loss, but the weight difference it negligible to begin with for a street car.

OP
OP
DyM

DyM

First Name
Dmitry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@REBELXSi - "extra money" now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time, long time ????? FYSA the OEM lug nuts are about 220g (about half a pound) per set of 5. With each lightened lug nut weighing in at about 20-23g (100-115g for a set of 5), that's a 50% savings over OEM, but still only about a quarter of a pound worth of weight per wheel.

Is this a massive weight reduction? No, not at all. Nowhere near as drastic as going from a 29lb wheel to a 19lb wheel, which is where I'm starting. With the new tire shaving another 3lbs of dead weight per wheel, the total savings comes to 13lbs per corner. Compared with that, the lug nuts are a "negligible" change indeed. That said, the purpose of my post was to do my due diligence in terms of research, and then see if someone found a unique solution I had missed.

@Oddwayne - Baby steps. It's on the road map, but wheels are going on first... and with great wheels comes great lug-nutsponsibility.

@vieux georges - thank you for your opinion. However, as mentioned in the OP, these are not going on the OEM.

@360glitch - I agree with your conclusion. I am willing to give up a little weight for added security.

Still looking for specific make/model recommendations, if anyone has them.

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
I will be getting titanium lugnuts eventually. I brought a set of wedsport locks. Run 16 titanium and 4 locks.

vieux georges

First Name
georges
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017civic si coupe
Country flag
If these are not the original wheels, then it is almost obligatory
to change the nuts and, in many case, the angle of the seats
in the new wheels require special nuts , usually an angle of 60
degrees instead of 90 of origine.
You will find a large selection at Muteki's.
Sponsored