First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, 2017 Civic Hatch LX 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey all, not sure if this is the right section for this but my friend bought me an Aukey DR01 dashcam for my 2017 Civic Hatchback LX and I want to install it, but I have two big issues: it has to plug into the power outlet/has no direct wiring option, and it comes with 3M sticky clips to keep the cable secured to the interior by the windshield. Since it's my first brand new car I'm really not trying to have wires running all over the interior with sticky junk on them. Any tips/experience with this model?

Here's a picture of the accessories for reference:
Honda Civic 10th gen Looking for daschcam installation advice 71X6mto-wSL._SL1500_
Sponsored

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
You can run wires through the headliner, down the a-pillar, and through the dash.

Use a plastic pry tool to gently push the wire in, it's not terribly difficult. You may need to remove certain parts of the lower dash, and make sure you zip-tie loose wires to the chassis so as to not tangle in moving parts (like the steering column).

ShuJam

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the exact same dash cam and have it wired like @inv4zn described. But I’ve plugged it into the power outlet, not hard wired it. So the wire runs through the passenger side.

I removed the glove box and fed the wire behind it. Although I might re-run the wire outside of the glove box, further back at the bottom of the dash using the 3M clips, as right now with the wire running behind the glove box, the wire is crimped a bit where it comes out from the glove box hinge to the power outlet.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
it has to plug into the power outlet/has no direct wiring option
Buy a cigarette lighter socket and wire that to your fusebox. Then plug your camera's power cord into that, wrap a little tape around it to make sure they stay plugged together, then zip-tie it all up under your dash somewhere. Viola, it's direct-wired.

Deep

First Name
Deepam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Country flag
I usually hardwire all my dashcams using this.
Power it using an Add-A-Circuit and you can wire it up the A-Pillar, and then to the dashcam. The only hard part is finding a place to ground it. I ended up getting a small self-tapping screw and grounding it to that.

OP
OP
Cat Damon

Cat Damon

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks so much to all you guys, these are great suggestions! I'll update this when I get a chance to actually do it!

fc two

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
integra gsr integra ls civic's
Country flag
I ran mine thru the head liner it just stick it there no need to pry for me

kvnhmmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
If going through the A pillar, be careful that the cord doesn't wrap in front of the side curtain airbag. Who knows what will happen when you need to use that airbag...

fc two

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
integra gsr integra ls civic's
Country flag
its along the passenger airbag nothing so far ( knock on wood )

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
If going through the A-pillar you should definitely remove the panel, and zip-tie the wire(s) to the frame behind the bags.

That said, the force of the bags deploying is so powerful that it'll just rip it out one way or the other and likely not affect the airbag.

OP
OP
Cat Damon

Cat Damon

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I usually hardwire all my dashcams using this.
Power it using an Add-A-Circuit and you can wire it up the A-Pillar, and then to the dashcam.
It's been an eternity but I finally got around to doing this, and it worked great. Only thing I wanted to note if anyone else is going to try the same thing: 10th Gen Civics use low-profile fuses, so the fuse provided in the car won't plug into that particular add-a-circuit. Also, the wire from that kit plugs straight into the camera, which left it pushing hard against the windshield in my case. I just got a 90-degree adapter and it's fine now, but those two things snuck up on me!
Sponsored