Si Looking for a Definitive Answer: Can Anyone Tell If You Have Flashed Your Ecu If You Flash It Back?

ThatDustyFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FC1 Si
Country flag
I'm interested in getting a KTuner with TSP's Stage 2 tune and a Flex Fuel kit in the next couple of months, but I've seen some members on here stating that there is a counter on the ECUs of our cars that gets incremented by one every time the ECU is re-flashed and that the logs get erased every time you re-flash the car. My question is how valid is this claim? Does said counter actually exist? Is there any hard proof behind these claims? If I run my car re-flashed and run into no issues, and flash it back to stock and take it into a dealer, would any of their techs be able to tell that I had flashed and re-flashed the ECU at some point?
Sponsored

Mogadee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Mazdaspeed 3, '17 WOP Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm interested in getting a KTuner with TSP's Stage 2 tune and a Flex Fuel kit in the next couple of months, but I've seen some members on here stating that there is a counter on the ECUs of our cars that gets incremented by one every time the ECU is re-flashed and that the logs get erased every time you re-flash the car. My question is how valid is this claim? Does said counter actually exist? Is there any hard proof behind these claims? If I run my car re-flashed and run into no issues, and flash it back to stock and take it into a dealer, would any of their techs be able to tell that I had flashed and re-flashed the ECU at some point?
I don't think that you will get a definitive answer as that would need to come from a high ranking Honda engineer whom would most likely be under an NDA for such information. From a technology standpoint, it is very plausible that they can. I have read both of the flash count enumeration and date flashed field. I don't believe the standard techs would be able to see these. Also, if they could, I guarantee that one of them would have admitted to it by now. If you are worried about warranty work, wait til after your 3 year mark. Even though Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act puts the burden of proof on the manufacturer, they undoubtedly have more resources to fight a claim.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
years of speculation and even some techs "saying" they can tell and still not one person has shown proof they can tell if you flashed when you flash back to stock. The couple of people who have had warranty claims denied because of flashing, had catastrophic failures of their engines and so the freeze data was there for the techs to see. Neither would confirm or deny that they had flashed back to stock either after blowing the motor. Those who have had bent rods or busted cvts that have also flashed back to stock before going in have all had their warranty work covered by the manufacturers warranty. Flashing by itself isnt voiding you whole warranty anyway. Being smart is the best thing, if you flash, always flash stock for dealer visits. If your dealer isnt cool with modding your car, going in with Ktuner stickers everywhere isnt good either. In the end, you are modifying your car away from factory spec, so if they do deny it, you can't be mad about it. But its the risk you take as with anything, is it worth it to you. For the majority of us here it is. FYI, I have had multiple things like AC compressor and battery covered under warranty, and never a word has been said to me about "flashing"

Jaak_b

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Currently have my car at the dealership. I was running Hondata with Siri Moto flex fuel kit on my 17 SI for about 5 months then it started to smoke like crazy from the exhaust. I took off the kit and sold it and reflashed back to stock before taking it in. Everything checked out fine, except my injectors. Service at the dealership asked if I did anything to my car, and I played coy and waited to see if he mentions anything about ecu, eventually I told him I tuned it. Most likely my power train warranty has been voided and now I’m trying to make sure they don’t throw any bs work other than injectors. It’s the risk I take tho, sucks but oh well I took that responsibility

Civii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Currently have my car at the dealership. I was running Hondata with Siri Moto flex fuel kit on my 17 SI for about 5 months then it started to smoke like crazy from the exhaust. I took off the kit and sold it and reflashed back to stock before taking it in. Everything checked out fine, except my injectors. Service at the dealership asked if I did anything to my car, and I played coy and waited to see if he mentions anything about ecu, eventually I told him I tuned it. Most likely my power train warranty has been voided and now I’m trying to make sure they don’t throw any bs work other than injectors. It’s the risk I take tho, sucks but oh well I took that responsibility
Never cave in again :)

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There is no definitive answer to this. No-one has been 'caught' as far as I can tell from the forums.
My suggestion is that if you are concerned about this, don't flash your ECU. You will never have an issue whether this is definitive or not. No sense taking a chance and you being that guy that will give that definitive answer.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
My take is different than some here. Once I tuned, I knew that I was risking my warranty but I took the educated guess that tuning at base/canned tuned power levels was relatively safe for my driving style. I generally drive conservatively but do push it hard from time to time.

I even take my car to the dealer tuned to do routine maintenancce services. Took it tuned to a Maryland emissions test and passed.

I'm probably one of the biggest proponents of tuning here at CivicX. It's the one mod that has the single biggest positive effect on the way our cars drive. But having said all the above, if your main concern is the drivetrain warranty and not better driveability/fun, DO NOT TUNE. I repeat DO NOT tune.

Here's some good real world data in terms of tuned 10th gens and reliability:

https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...ence-reliability-thread-for-all-models.42361/
Sponsored