Looking at buying a CTR soon. Have some questions.

hemiblas

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus st, mustang v6, 99 cherokee, jk, jku
I message dealers on facebook asking what they are selling Type R for and I have gotten a few back with actually decent answers. the sketchiest being "put a $500 non-refundable deposit" and wait a couple months whereas one was " we have one for MSRP coming in a month or 2". I feel like I am being the most irresponsible (financially) when it comes to buying one but I have told myself that down the road I will be much happier than I would be in a (GTI or used golf R). If you want one just message dealers, and don't be afraid to drive for one. That's gonna be your best bet until the hype dies down (which it won't).
It will be fun, get great mileage, 4 doors, and the insurance so far is reasonable. Your not being irresponsible at all. I say do it if you can. You only live once.
Sponsored

jdogcarroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic coupe ex-t lunar silver
It will be fun, get great mileage, 4 doors, and the insurance so far is reasonable. Your not being irresponsible at all. I say do it if you can. You only live once.
Yea i say that because I am a college student working full time w/ about 3k in negative equity on my 16 coupe.... Thinking about leasing one but we will see. It truly is between a gti or type R

OP
OP

Kevin S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 hype R
Country flag
Yeah I actually was wondering about insurance. Checked yesterday - it's 15 bucks cheaper than my Toyota truck ! haha - I'm 36 yrs old, great credit and no tickets , also in Colorado I hear insurance is higher than most places !

OP
OP

Kevin S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 hype R
Country flag
Yea i say that because I am a college student working full time w/ about 3k in negative equity on my 16 coupe.... Thinking about leasing one but we will see. It truly is between a gti or type R
This sounds like a terrible financial decision. Are you planning on rolling negative equity from your 16 coupe into a gti or typ R ? Beyond the ADM you will have another 3k tacked on to a depreciating asset.

You are in college. I'm assuming student loan debt ?

My advice - keep the coupe now for at least a couple more years until you can get out of it and not loose your shorts! Then you can probably afford either a cpo or higher miles used type R for a great price !

Also the GTi is a great car but any german car out of the manufacturers warranty is one big rolling liability ! Speaking from personal experience I will probably never own a new german car again because of the lack of reliability.

jdogcarroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic coupe ex-t lunar silver
This sounds like a terrible financial decision. Are you planning on rolling negative equity from your 16 coupe into a gti or typ R ? Beyond the ADM you will have another 3k tacked on to a depreciating asset.

You are in college. I'm assuming student loan debt ?

My advice - keep the coupe now for at least a couple more years until you can get out of it and not loose your shorts! Then you can probably afford either a cpo or higher miles used type R for a great price !

Also the GTi is a great car but any german car out of the manufacturers warranty is one big rolling liability ! Speaking from personal experience I will probably never own a new german car again because of the lack of reliability.
little college debt because it is being paid for by my job. Also yes I did plan on rolling it into the Type R. However there are plenty around me going for MSRP. I have a list of about 5 dealers who are selling for MSRP. I will break even on my civic by summer next year if I keep paying extra like I have. I just struggle with patience.. especially with the idea of only paying more to be upside down again.. ya know? I like the type R and all it stands for, the GTI is the only other hatch with all the things I am wanting in a car.

Fk8 4343

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Type R, 17' CR-V Touring
little college debt because it is being paid for by my job. Also yes I did plan on rolling it into the Type R. However there are plenty around me going for MSRP. I have a list of about 5 dealers who are selling for MSRP. I will break even on my civic by summer next year if I keep paying extra like I have. I just struggle with patience.. especially with the idea of only paying more to be upside down again.. ya know? I like the type R and all it stands for, the GTI is the only other hatch with all the things I am wanting in a car.
So like a $40k (MSRP+tax+negative equity trade) loan on the Type R? You will always be upside down.

OP
OP

Kevin S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 hype R
Country flag
So like a $40k (MSRP+tax+negative equity trade) loan on the Type R? You will always be upside down.
Yup sounds like a terrible idea. Sell the civic you have now in a year or so when you are not upside down and can make a profit (hopefully). I've rolled negative equity from an old accord I had that I was upside down on into a cr-z. Needless to say I lost my shorts on that deal ! Never again.

Unless you plan on making 2-3 payments a month it's hard to get yourself out of the red.

Fk8 4343

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Type R, 17' CR-V Touring
Choose a down payment + monthly payment so you will never be upside down. If you can't afford either, have a close look at your financial situation.

Increase the monthly payment/additional payments to get positive equity and payoff faster with less interest.

Then when you *want* a new car in a few years, you have positive equity on your trade to put towards your new down payment.

hemiblas

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus st, mustang v6, 99 cherokee, jk, jku
Winter is here in Denver. I'm not sure how all those people that bought one are going to get them off the lots. Summer tires with 20" wheels..... I've tried that before and it was a mess. I went about 10 feet before giving up. These things are like hockey pucks on ice. For all of those thinking of buying one here and taking it back home, you'll never make it over the Rockies.

OP
OP

Kevin S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 hype R
Country flag
Winter is here in Denver. I'm not sure how all those people that bought one are going to get them off the lots. Summer tires with 20" wheels..... I've tried that before and it was a mess. I went about 10 feet before giving up. These things are like hockey pucks on ice. For all of those thinking of buying one here and taking it back home, you'll never make it over the Rockies.
Honestly depends on the car. Should you be driving around in a car with sports / summer tires - no most likely not. Can you ? Yes IMHO. The type R's mechanical diff will help greatly i imagine. Plus being fwd and having all that weight over the front tires = alot less likely to spin out - as long as you don't drive like an idiot once the snow starts hitting the ground (and sticking) haha. Right now it's still too warm - at least at lower elevation.

When i bought my toyota x-runner it had summer tires on it(no M+S rating haha). I bought the vehicle in december during a snow storm from a guy in aspen. The xrunner is also equipped with a rear mechanical limited slip - Having both rear wheels for traction was very helpful ! I stopped at a lowes and bought 4 - 50 lb bags of ice melt - put it in the bed and was able to get home - surprisingly with little fuss.

I don't recommend taking a type R in the mountains - especially right now though lol - good way to find the nearest ditch!

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
Honestly depends on the car. Should you be driving around in a car with sports / summer tires - no most likely not. Can you ? Yes IMHO. The type R's mechanical diff will help greatly i imagine. Plus being fwd and having all that weight over the front tires = alot less likely to spin out - as long as you don't drive like an idiot once the snow starts hitting the ground (and sticking) haha. Right now it's still too warm - at least at lower elevation.

When i bought my toyota x-runner it had summer tires on it(no M+S rating haha). I bought the vehicle in december during a snow storm from a guy in aspen. Having both rear wheels for traction was very helpful ! I stopped at a lowes and bought 4 - 50 lb bags of ice melt - put it in the bed and was able to get home - surprisingly with little fuss.

I don't recommend taking a type R in the mountains - especially right now though lol - good way to find the nearest ditch!
Our tires are horrible for winter driving, like "you're going to hit something in the first few feet" level horrible.

I've done it before, but you can't even look at the brakes with any level of intention of using them or you'll slide.

Diff, traction control, abs, none of that matters with these tires.

You are going to slide, period.

gtolio

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 EP3 Si hatch, 2019 Civic Sport Hatch 6spd, 2017 Honda Ruckus
Country flag
is the C7 faster on the track than the CTR? Honest question. Your best bet would be to find an MSRP dealer within your state or nearby (I called over 200+ dealers and none panned out... I bought it used with 600 miles cuz I didn't want to wait) and get one of those lists.If you don't mind going out of state, that is probably your best bet.
Yes, the C7 Z06 is one of the few cars under $100k that can beat it. Corvettes are very fast on the track. There are probably others, but it's a short list, and definitely nothing close to the MSRP of the Type-R.

I think you underestimate how useless full summer only tires are in the snow, and even how much their grip drops in just cold wet conditions like we have today. The soft compound gets hard and the grip goes to basically zero on snow. Even when I had an Evo VIII on 9 MR wheels and summer tires, that was useless in the snow.

I have Pilot Super Sports on my 08 Si sedan, and I spent an hour before work this morning changing over to my steelies with Blizzaks.

Tires make all the difference!

Last edited:

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
I think OP will be happy with a foRS. Drove it last week. That tail is really nimble .
Sponsored