Looking at buying a CTR soon. Have some questions.

jtrown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Civic Hybrid, 2010 Accord Crosstour, Rallye Red CTR
So after a short test drive this weekend. I'm going to sell my c7 and i will be looking at purchasing a new civic type R - possibly as soon as the corvette sells. Most likely it won't be until spring time however (or at least until inventory catches up with demand).

I have a couple questions about mainly price, inventory/supply.

I'm in Colorado. I have called exactly one dealer (about a week after the type R came out) and was told they had no idea when they would get the next batch in. They got in 2 and both were sold and they could put me on a waiting list - that (I'm sure the salesman was exaggerating) was over 500 deep haha !

I gave him my info but have not heard nor do I plan to hear anything from them.

I have not searched with any dealerships in my area.

Honestly I'm ok with waiting.

I've never ordered a car before - my c7 and every car i've ever purchased was on dealer lots readily available.

So how does that work exactly (especially with Honda - and this being a new & relatively low volume car) ?

Do I just make my order and wait (for how long?) or should I just fly out of state and purchase one ?

Autotrader shows one located within 500 miles of me - with a msrp of 35k ? Not sure if that is correct or not.

Sorry for my dumb questions. New to all of this high demand / short supply business. Corvettes and all my previous cars (a couple Hondas in there as well) were easy to get !

One more thing if anyone is in Colorado and can recommend to me the preferable dealer here in Colorado for Honda that would be great! I have previously purchased a Honda from Fischer in boulder (ages ago) and my last 13 accord sport was from Autonation / Go Honda. Fischer was the better of the 2 but not what I would call professional(this was however back in the 90's so who knows)

Thanks all ,
Kevin.
I guess I missed the reason you're selling the C7 Vette. If it's the cost of the car I can understand. But trying to pick up a CTR these days for MSRP is a bit hard to do. I wanted to pick up a C7 but the wife said no. I told her I was just going to buy a civic and she said nothing....... until I brought the Type R home. She's been pissed ever since. I love my CTR, but I would keep the C7.
Sponsored

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
I wanted to pick up a C7 but the wife said no. I told her I was just going to buy a civic and she said nothing....... until I brought the Type R home. She's been pissed ever since.
and that my friends is how you win at life :thumbsup:

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Ah i see, i never had that problem before until i bought the type r.. then i noticed it. Ya kinda lame.. makes it so you cant go to redline cause it will bounce up to limiter when shifting

Thanks!:thumbsup:
Not at all, it doesn't make the rpm rise, unless your pushing the clutch in before you take your foot off the gas.

OP
OP

Kevin S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 hype R
Country flag
I guess I missed the reason you're selling the C7 Vette. If it's the cost of the car I can understand. But trying to pick up a CTR these days for MSRP is a bit hard to do. I wanted to pick up a C7 but the wife said no. I told her I was just going to buy a civic and she said nothing....... until I brought the Type R home. She's been pissed ever since. I love my CTR, but I would keep the C7.
Honestly not sure if I'm going to sell the c7 yet.

Prefer the drive of the type R (at least in the city) - unlike the vette it just feels really nible and very light on it's toes ! I feel like IMHO the vette is obviously the more powerful car and definitely faster on a track. However the CTR is just all around more fun. Plus being able to only take my wife on trips gets old !

What's that saying jtrown ? You can sleep in a car but you can't drive a house ? Haha good luck in your future purchases. My wife not only wants me to get a CTR, I think I'm going to have to fight her for the keys most days lol !

Last edited:

Vdeity86

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
350z Anniversary Edition(sold), Accord, #1220 CTR
Country flag

Prefer the drive of the type R (at least in the city) - unlike the vette it just feels really nible and very light on it's toes ! I feel like IMHO the vette is obviously the more powerful car and definitely faster on a track. However the CTR is just all around more fun. Plus being able to only take my wife on trips gets old !

What's that saying jtrown ? You can sleep in a car but you can't drive a house ? Haha good luck in your future purchases. My wife not only wants me to get a CTR, I think I'm going to have to fight her for the keys most days lol !
is the C7 faster on the track than the CTR? Honest question. Your best bet would be to find an MSRP dealer within your state or nearby (I called over 200+ dealers and none panned out... I bought it used with 600 miles cuz I didn't want to wait) and get one of those lists.If you don't mind going out of state, that is probably your best bet.

S2k_Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
Country flag
is the C7 faster on the track than the CTR? Honest question. Your best bet would be to find an MSRP dealer within your state or nearby (I called over 200+ dealers and none panned out... I bought it used with 600 miles cuz I didn't want to wait) and get one of those lists.If you don't mind going out of state, that is probably your best bet.
What's interesting about the C7 vs the CTR, I saw a 2014 Yellow C7 with 6,600 miles being sold for just below $40,000. Not a bad deal considering the CTR is selling for that or more on average. Both are hatchbacks too :).

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
What's interesting about the C7 vs the CTR, I saw a 2014 Yellow C7 with 6,600 miles being sold for just below $40,000. Not a bad deal considering the CTR is selling for that or more on average. Both are hatchbacks too :).
Bet that's a salvage one .

S2k_Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
Country flag

hemiblas

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus st, mustang v6, 99 cherokee, jk, jku

I'm in the same boat you are here in Colorado. I have decided to just wait. For the first time in my life I would buy a car for msrp, but getting one here in CO is just not feasible right now. I'm driving a focus st with a tune until I can get my hands on one and I'm agreed fun factor is there with these smaller stick hatchbacks vs the bigger cars. I get in my wife's mustang and it just doesn't give me the same feel as the focus st. All my friends think I'm crazy.

OP
OP

Kevin S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 hype R
Country flag
I'm in the same boat you are here in Colorado. I have decided to just wait. For the first time in my life I would buy a car for msrp, but getting one here in CO is just not feasible right now. I'm driving a focus st with a tune until I can get my hands on one and I'm agreed fun factor is there with these smaller stick hatchbacks vs the bigger cars. I get in my wife's mustang and it just doesn't give me the same feel as the focus st. All my friends think I'm crazy.

Kuni Honda said next year...maybe ! Pretty much the same story with all local dealers here. Mile High Honda said they have a list of over 100 !!! ridiculous haha.

Yup small cars are just more fun. I've had a lot of cars over the years and to this day one of the most fun would have to be a 91 Toyota mr2 turbo ! Na Miata is right there as well in the fun factor !

hemiblas

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus st, mustang v6, 99 cherokee, jk, jku
Kuni Honda said next year...maybe ! Pretty much the same story with all local dealers here. Mile High Honda said they have a list of over 100 !!! ridiculous haha.

Yup small cars are just more fun. I've had a lot of cars over the years and to this day one of the most fun would have to be a 91 Toyota mr2 turbo ! Na Miata is right there as well in the fun factor !
Crazy. All those honda commercials aren't helping either. Its just going to get worst. I won't buy a car unless I test drive it and I'm usually looking for a deal. Looks like I might never get one.

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
My buddy works at a Ford dealer and he texted me that they are running ST's at $6500 off right now. That would bring a 1 package down pretty cheap.

OP
OP

Kevin S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 hype R
Country flag
Crazy. All those honda commercials aren't helping either. Its just going to get worst. I won't buy a car unless I test drive it and I'm usually looking for a deal. Looks like I might never get one.
It's unfortunate but hopefully in a year or so I can buy one. I've waited since 98 for my own type R - guess I can wait a bit longer haha

jdogcarroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic coupe ex-t lunar silver
I message dealers on facebook asking what they are selling Type R for and I have gotten a few back with actually decent answers. the sketchiest being "put a $500 non-refundable deposit" and wait a couple months whereas one was " we have one for MSRP coming in a month or 2". I feel like I am being the most irresponsible (financially) when it comes to buying one but I have told myself that down the road I will be much happier than I would be in a (GTI or used golf R). If you want one just message dealers, and don't be afraid to drive for one. That's gonna be your best bet until the hype dies down (which it won't).
Sponsored