Long term reliability; 1.5T vs 2.0NA ?

alias Igme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Romeo 156, Honda Civic (1.5t hatchback)
Country flag
Only had the 1.5t hatch CVT for 6 months(I think) and is happy with it so far.

I used to prefer traditional MT but I found myself very happy with my previous (electro-hydraulic MT) and current (CVT) dailies. But they got to have paddle shifters at least.

It might be too soon to tell, but I have been doing spirited driving whenever I get the chance and no problems so far.

Honda Civic 10th gen Long term reliability; 1.5T vs 2.0NA ? 8B82A4F7-95B8-474E-907F-5E0E3BB9FC0D
Sponsored

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
6 pages and no one has ultra high mileage examples because this question can't be answered as the oldest example of the vehicles in question is only about 4 years old.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
what we all really want is a DCT trans, but it doesn't look like we're going to get that in a civic anytime soon. The new vette has 490hp and an 8 speed DCT. I've never driven one but can't wait to try.

OP
OP
raf702

raf702

First Name
Ralf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatch Sport SGP
Country flag
what we all really want is a DCT trans, but it doesn't look like we're going to get that in a civic anytime soon. The new vette has 490hp and an 8 speed DCT. I've never driven one but can't wait to try.
DCT would be a great option, but I'm wondering how much more expensive DCT is versus CVT. And cost effectiveness, since I'm sure Civics are mean't to have inexpensive but reliable parts. I personally associate DCT transmissions with higher end vehicles.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I personally associate DCT transmissions with higher end vehicles.
Higher end vehicles like the Hyundai Elantra Sport? :p

OP
OP
raf702

raf702

First Name
Ralf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Higher end vehicles like the Hyundai Elantra Sport? :p
Well in comparison to a Civic, I think it's a tad higher end. Lol

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
DCT would be a great option, but I'm wondering how much more expensive DCT is versus CVT. And cost effectiveness, since I'm sure Civics are mean't to have inexpensive but reliable parts. I personally associate DCT transmissions with higher end vehicles.
yes, you're right. DCT is the most expensive trans. CVT is the cheapest, but 500 hp would destroy a CVT in short order.

OP
OP
raf702

raf702

First Name
Ralf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
yes, you're right. DCT is the most expensive trans. CVT is the cheapest, but 500 hp would destroy a CVT in short order.
At that point, it only makes sense to stick with CVT for the Civics and vehicles with not much HP. How much more could they improve on the design of the CVT. There's always room for improvement anywhere. Couldn't a traditional automatic be improved, rather than switching over to CVT.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
At that point, it only makes sense to stick with CVT for the Civics and vehicles with not much HP. How much more could they improve on the design of the CVT. There's always room for improvement anywhere. Couldn't a traditional automatic be improved, rather than switching over to CVT.
Say what you will about CVT's but they are really efficient in both keeping power where it needs to be and fuel efficiency.

Here's an interesting article regarding CVT's and F1 racing.

https://www.racefans.net/2007/05/03/banned-continuously-variable-transmission-cvt/

OP
OP
raf702

raf702

First Name
Ralf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Say what you will about CVT's but they are really efficient in both keeping power where it needs to be and fuel efficiency.

Here's an interesting article regarding CVT's and F1 racing.

https://www.racefans.net/2007/05/03/banned-continuously-variable-transmission-cvt/
I’m not making any substantial claims against CVT. I’m just expressing my understanding of it, as I know nothing, nor have experience with CVT. Until I recently read briefly about it. I don’t doubt the performance of a CVT.

Bosco72

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic coupe sport
Country flag
Dct have there problems to ford had a big problem. My veloster turbo had a dct sued and won that's why I have the civic now.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm sure by now, there are thousands of 1.5T civics out there with over 100k miles and still running fine. I have almost 80k on mine and no issues. Hell, I still love this car, it's always fun to drive, especially ktuned.
The civicx is a great car, whatever engine it has.
Sponsored