First Name
Ralf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatch Sport SGP
Country flag
But which of these cars was not FI?
I apologize, I misunderstood your question. I meant I've driven "FI" as in Forced Induction cars previously.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
It’s funny you say that. I bought my girl the 2018 civic hatchback 1.5t cvt and got myself the 2018 civic sedan 2.0 6mt. Well I just upgraded my rims and tires plus ktuner. Now we both run head to head, except of course I keep pulling away because I don’t govern out. But I don’t want to tune hers because I don’t want her CVT to burn out on her. I know my 6 speed can handle more than I’m giving it

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
The Vtec engagement is not based on the gear. It engages at a certain RPM. With the base tune with the ktuner is 5600 RPM. Stock setting is 6100 RPM. So it smooths out the power band on the top end. Now that I got my dbx Flowmaster muffler installed you can really hear the Vtec engagement. So you have Vtec in all the gears. It’s just hard to notice in 1st and 2nd because it happens so fast. But with the ktuner it drops to 5600 so you will notice it more in the lower gears

OP
OP
raf702

raf702

First Name
Ralf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Manual for daily use is why I switched to automatic. And I don't race or do pulls, been there done that. My vehicle is strictly a commuter car for ease of travel. But if this was my secondary car, then without a hesitation I'd get a Manual 1.5T.

smulla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic LX Black Pearl
Country flag
Before I bought my 2019 civic hatchback turbo after my 2016 civic sedan 2.0 litre was deemed totaled by the wreck. I test driven the 2.0 liter sedan and the 1.5 t hatchback. I ended up financing the hatchback because I felt I can handle the extra power and it handled well. Keep in mind I had the 2 liter and there was nothing wrong with it, but I heard turbo engines do not last as long but by the time you driven the car to its last leg you will be looking for a another car anyways.

OP
OP
raf702

raf702

First Name
Ralf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Before I bought my 2019 civic hatchback turbo after my 2016 civic sedan 2.0 litre was deemed totaled by the wreck. I test driven the 2.0 liter sedan and the 1.5 t hatchback. I ended up financing the hatchback because I felt I can handle the extra power and it handled well. Keep in mind I had the 2 liter and there was nothing wrong with it, but I heard turbo engines do not last as long but by the time you driven the car to its last leg you will be looking for a another car anyways.
I was between the 1.5T and 2.0. And for 2016, the 1.5T was the first generation. Which there is always issues with first generation engines, I would have to at least get a 2018+ to be on the safer side. As many mentioned, turbo has extra components to replace and can cost $. Again if I could choose this as a secondary car, I would get the Hatch Sport or Touring 1.5T Manual or CVT. I really like the body style of the Gen X, it really impresses me over the previous generations. With the exception of the 97-00, that's my second favorite generation of Civics.

ManofGod1000

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Couple Energy Green
Country flag
Hey all, so I'm in the market and very soon to buy a 2016+ Civic. I've got my eye on the 2016 1.5T, and already test driven a 2016 2.0 the other day. And it drove smoothly no complaints at all, not much to say there. This will be a long term vehicle, as well as my daily driver.

In regards to long term reliability, which one has the advantage? Even with regular maintenance of both. I'm leaning more toward the 1.5T, because it obviously has turbo, more power, slightly better mpg, and more features from the LX-P which is the second option.

I plan for the engine to remain stock for the most part, just keep things simple, aside from exterior/interior mods. Thanks, I appreciate everyone's input!

Ralf
They are both going to be long term reliable, since these are Honda engines. :) I have the 2018 Si, absolutely no fuel dilation issues and I regularly change my oil every 5000 miles. I do not beat the crap out of it and I have gotten up to 44.5 mpg on the highway. I think the big thing is whether you are going to have an automatic or manual, I think the manual will be less expensive overall and longer lasting.

Oh, and there is a bulletin on the 1.5T which says, if you ever get the issues they reported in the first 6 years or unlimited miles, they will fix it at no cost. I know of no other manufacturer that would do that, if needed.

OP
OP
raf702

raf702

First Name
Ralf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
you want a 2.0 no doubt about it, will last way longer
I’ve had the 2.0NA now for almost a week, and it’s the best decision I’ve made! Thanks!

They are both going to be long term reliable, since these are Honda engines. :) I have the 2018 Si, absolutely no fuel dilation issues and I regularly change my oil every 5000 miles. I do not beat the crap out of it and I have gotten up to 44.5 mpg on the highway. I think the big thing is whether you are going to have an automatic or manual, I think the manual will be less expensive overall and longer lasting.

Oh, and there is a bulletin on the 1.5T which says, if you ever get the issues they reported in the first 6 years or unlimited miles, they will fix it at no cost. I know of no other manufacturer that would do that, if needed.
That’s awesome, but my budget could only afford the 2016 at the price I got it for. Or else, I would of settled with at least an 18’. I’ve known Honda engines for so long to be reliable that’s no doubting.

I was unaware there was a bulletin for the 2016+ 1.5T.
Sponsored