Moises

First Name
Moises
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 honda type r
Country flag
Hello , everyone i got a 2020 type r about 4 months ago and i am thinking of getting a hondata , intake , downpipe and exhaust. And my question is for does owners Who have a FBO type r for a while have you guys had any mechanical problems in the long run ?
Sponsored

Ismael Lafluer

Project Harukonokaze R-00691
First Name
Ismael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R, 2016 Honda Accord sport, 2007 Honda Pilot
Country flag
Expect more interior rattling and vibrations from random places. I changed exhaust that has 2 resonators and there is no drone and very little to no resonance and 99% of my problems are gone.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Just be aware that pretty much all those parts you listed besides Hondata and downpipe won’t add any power.

Depending on your exhaust, you may get false knocking from a bad install since most aftermarket exhaust have less clearance than factory.

samji

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1996 Accord V6 EX-L
Country flag
Funny you guys all answered a different question than the one OP asked LOL

@Moises
I don't think there's enough high mileage CTR's that are FBO right now to have an accurate answer. But I've seen some guys running downpipe/tune and well into the the 50-60k range with no issues, which still really isn't enough miles to say our cars are reliable yet..

I would think our cars would at least be more reliable than the 4 banger turbos from early to mid 2000's though, but that's just my own speculation/opinion. Might have to ask again in a year or two to get an accurate data set imo.

PwrOfDreams

It ain't a Type R then it ain't a tight car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other
Country flag
from what i am reading an intercooler and a tune is all this car really needs.....
That is the setup I have been using for 2+ years. Something simple since it’s a car driven everyday.

Reactions: Jdm

BrokeCTROwner

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 1999 K20 Integra
Country flag
I wouldn’t say I’m fbo but I’m downpipe, intercooler, and pro tuned with 27k miles 17k of those being tuned

fk8mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag
2017fk8 8345miles no issue at all,fbo,tuned 390/400 94oct+meth weekend car,no drag or track

any power goal? also street car(rollkiller)or lap/track day? the tune/car utility ?

OP
OP

Moises

First Name
Moises
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 honda type r
Country flag
2017fk8 8345miles no issue at all,fbo,tuned 390/400 94oct+meth weekend car,no drag or track

any power goal? also street car(rollkiller)or lap/track day? the tune/car utility ?
I am looking for something around 360-390 hp and my fk8 is my daily driver. I am just looking for a bit of fun . Like I’ll race my fk8 on the street here and there but not all that much.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Use high quality fuel and periodically look at your logs for abnormalities.

Unless you have a defective motor or you installed an aftermarket part incorrectly, a modest tune isn’t going to hurt your engine.

GotCTR?

Banned
Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
Hello , everyone i got a 2020 type r about 4 months ago and i am thinking of getting a hondata , intake , downpipe and exhaust. And my question is for does owners Who have a FBO type r for a while have you guys had any mechanical problems in the long run ?
just get hondata and do a e30 tune , you are wasting your money on FBO

trade the car in a few years and upgrade it. Expect your car to throw check engine lights if you have FBO. Happens alot on here on the forums, downpipes and intakes.

also when you trade the car in the dealer wont look at your car as a modded car . You will end up have to take everything off or selling it. if you plan on keeping your car for 5+ years and taking a huge depreciation hit then by all means do what you please. Cars now are not like 10 years ago where they never really changed in tech and HP. It would seem the future is EV motors/hybrid/AWD and even more tech . I would not be surprised if acura or within 4 years we see a bad ass hybrid sports car using acura nsx tech.

For right now
I would invest in a set of rims and tires for winter if you live in a colder area , below 60 degrees the stock tires suck and can become unsafe to drive on at high speeds. The rubber gets hard and bumps are even louder this alone will be around 1800.00 minimum.

. I love my 2020 CTR because of the LKAS /Lane departure /adpative cruise but I think i might go AWD EV in the future . I even owned a 2018 CTR for 2 years also and just bought my champ white 2020. It cost me next to nothing to upgrade since I dont pay for title tax, and got 32k for my trade. Even though my loan reset , i have a lower payment and interest rate . went from 2.85 to 2.45 %.

So either get Hondata first , unlock the ECU
Get a K&n drop in filter
If e85 is common in your state , tune for that
get some rims and all season tires or winters

also get a bad ass radar detector

Last edited:

fk8mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag
I am looking for something around 360-390 hp and my fk8 is my daily driver. I am just looking for a bit of fun . Like I’ll race my fk8 on the street here and there but not all that much.
great so going with base mods but the right one(intercooler/catless dp or not)you will never had any issue "IF" you keep in mind that you drive the car?

i would also suggest a VERY good fuel(92oct+/e30) and a tuner(good one)

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Expect your car to throw check engine lights if you have FBO. Happens alot on here on the forums, downpipes and intakes.
He shouldn't be expecting anything of the sort. You should not be getting CELs from any mods other than by going catless without disabling the secondary O2 CELs.
Sponsored