Long road trip in 100+ degree heat causing multiple electronic errors?

ctr-12884

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 18'
Country flag
Doing a cross country road trip (FL > CA). Heat has been high and I think it might have caused an electrical problem. TPMS, Brake system, Brake hold system, Electronic Power Steering system, Stability control and Hill start ALL went off at the same time. No noticeable hardware issue with any system. Any one have an issue like this before?
Sponsored

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Another recent post had similar issues, it was a fuel pump issue in the end. Even though they were not on the recall, that was the diagnosis and solution.

goodvibes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R CBP
Country flag
I drove the car from Florida to Arizona. By the time I got there I had all kinds of lights on the dash. Car was Parked for about a day or two until I had to drive back to Florida and it made it back fine until the next day I turned it on and had the Emissions and rev match on the dash, took it to the dealerships and it came back as a fuel error, after a day of being in the dealerships getting different test done or whatever It came back as fuel pump gave out and had to get it replaced. Not sure how much heat takes a toll on these cars but I did noticed that high heat is a factor on any car but mostly on the type r . When driving in cold temperatures or in the low 80s is perfect but anything past 96f is sluggish and semi responsive.

Last edited:

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
It's 115F daily where I am right now, not a single problem due to heat.

Pull the codes and find out what is going on instead of guessing.

goodvibes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah is better of just checking what error codes the car was throwing. Good luck OP

OP
OP

ctr-12884

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 18'
Country flag
Just finished the road trip. Final destination was actually Fairbanks, Alaska so I'm just now getting around to update. After all the errors happened I let the car rest for a bit in the shade with the hood opened and then drove it to get the battery tested at an Autozone. By the time I got there I left the car off for a bit. Came back and turned it on and all the warnings were gone. Couldn't get to test because it was too late at night. Fished the night by getting to LA and then kept going the rest of the way with no issues at all. Haven't gotten a chance to check the battery but will do it soon.

OP
OP

ctr-12884

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 18'
Country flag
Another recent post had similar issues, it was a fuel pump issue in the end. Even though they were not on the recall, that was the diagnosis and solution.
I'm not sure if the fuel pump had anything to do with it. I don't know if the car would show any signs with fuel economy or performance if the fuel pump was the issue but I didn't notice any difference and still haven't.

OP
OP

ctr-12884

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 18'
Country flag
could be battery. Can cause everything to go crazy.
I think that might've been the issue although I haven't gotten a chance to check it out. Was able to finish the trip after letting the car rest a bit in the city.

OP
OP

ctr-12884

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 18'
Country flag
I drove the car from Florida to Arizona. By the time I got there I had all kinds of lights on the dash. Car was Parked for about a day or two until I had to drive back to Florida and it made it back fine until the next day I turned it on and had the Emissions and rev match on the dash, took it to the dealerships and it came back as a fuel error, after a day of being in the dealerships getting different test done or whatever It came back as fuel pump gave out and had to get it replaced. Not sure how much heat takes a toll on these cars but I did noticed that high heat is a factor on any car but mostly on the type r . When driving in cold temperatures or in the low 80s is perfect but anything past 96f is sluggish and semi responsive.
Were there any signs that you could feel that made you think the fuel pump was out? Or was it all diagnosed at the dealer?

goodvibes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Were there any signs that you could feel that made you think the fuel pump was out? Or was it all diagnosed at the dealer?
The only thing I felt while driving was only the loss of power when pressing on the gas pedal, the car got to a point where it wouldnā€™t go pass 2500rpm or 35mph. When I took it to the dealerships the first time, they said it was bad gas and a valve leak, so I got those fixed through warranty and the next day the car went limp again. Second time I took it it was still giving out a code related to the fuel and they said it was the fuel rail so I got that replaced also and the car went limp on the second day of having it back. Then the third time they said they had to escalate the issue to Honda Since the car still was showing codes for the fuel even after changing gas stations and fixing the other things, so the car was at the dealerships for about a week and a half getting inspected and they found that it was the fuel pump. That was in March and since that I havenā€™t driven out of state since I was a bit concerned that it would happen again and also due to COVID, but so far I have used it for regular daily driving here and there and it hasnā€™t given me any issues anymore.

OP
OP

ctr-12884

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 18'
Country flag
The only thing I felt while driving was only the loss of power when pressing on the gas pedal, the car got to a point where it wouldnā€™t go pass 2500rpm or 35mph. When I took it to the dealerships the first time, they said it was bad gas and a valve leak, so I got those fixed through warranty and the next day the car went limp again. Second time I took it it was still giving out a code related to the fuel and they said it was the fuel rail so I got that replaced also and the car went limp on the second day of having it back. Then the third time they said they had to escalate the issue to Honda Since the car still was showing codes for the fuel even after changing gas stations and fixing the other things, so the car was at the dealerships for about a week and a half getting inspected and they found that it was the fuel pump. That was in March and since that I havenā€™t driven out of state since I was a bit concerned that it would happen again and also due to COVID, but so far I have used it for regular daily driving here and there and it hasnā€™t given me any issues anymore.
Yeah I didn't get any of those issues. Makes me believe it was the heat making the electronics (possibly the battery) go a bit crazy temporarily. Everything seems fine now. Thanks for the info!
Sponsored