WhatTheFun

Knows some stuff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
After 16k miles in my touring, I have come across some little annoyances that I have listed below. I still find it to be a great car, especially for the price. Fuel economy is fantastic. LED headlights are amazing. Decently quiet for its class.

1. Siri is really loud when she speaks but voice calls are quiet (makes Siri shockingly loud next time I use her after a call)
2. Auto lock: I want to fill up my gas tank without it auto locking!!
3. Lumbar adjustment, my back must not be average, it hurts after a while
4. Volume control in drive thru, wheel is always turned, makes it hard to do the "quick mute" swipe
5. Apple maps, if I used it last time I drove, my phone automatically opens the map app in the background during the current trip. I have to close the map app when connected to CarPlay to make it stop
6. Flimsy roof: sounds like it will be shaken off in the dryer section of the car wash
7. Alternate skin for screen: requires more taps of the screen to access the preset radio stations
8: lane watch shuts down any Siri activities when it is activated
9: rear view: the trunk is high for aerodynamics but blocks the view
10: turbo/CVT lag/high overall final drive ratio: taking off from a standstill is slow, hard to dart out into traffic and is occasionally scary! (Once it gets going it's great)
11: rain sensing wipers... No need to say more
12: CMBS: it put me at a complete stop in an intersection when it thought i was too close to a bus (bus was turning right, I was going straight, it thought my closing speed was too fast)
13: ACC: great for 2-lane roads, terrible for highways, people keep cutting in front because of the large gap
14: LKAS: again, great for 2-lane country roads, terrible anywhere near construction, sometimes it wants me to ram into trucks in the next lane
15: Honda sensing in general: I started out to be a super-fan, now it gets turned off unless I'm on a 2-lane country road. It is only half baked and not very smooth.
16: optimistic fuel economy gage, always 1 to 1.5 mpg optimistic (not terrible, but annoying)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
1. Siri is really loud when she speaks but voice calls are quiet (makes Siri shockingly loud next time I use her after a call)
When Siri is talking you can use the volume buttons to control it's volume, same goes in a call. At least on Android auto you can set all the volume levels individually. That's all I got unfortunately. Have you checked the settings for auto lock when fueling? Maybe just leave your key in the car?

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
what I do when I fill up is leave the rear driver's side door open.

Doors won't lock, you don't have to leave the keys in the car, and you just close it when you're done.

Dan198

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW 335 xDrive, 2010 Audi Q5, 2014 Porsche Boxster S, 2016 Civic EX
Country flag
what I do when I fill up is leave the rear driver's side door open.

Doors won't lock, you don't have to leave the keys in the car, and you just close it when you're done.
Hmmmm. I've only had mine for a few days and haven't had to fill up yet but this seems like it's a real pain. I've pretty much decided to not use the auto lock feature as I'm old school that way.

Last edited:

ediblebirch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK7 ST
Country flag
You can always turn off the auto-lock completely, I find it convenient. I live in Oregon so I don't even have to get out of my car to get gas. ;)

Honda sensing has been working great for me on 2+ lane highways and freeways. Only annoyance I am having at the moment is the mentioned ability to mute on the fly and inconsistency with the infotainment system.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Hmmmm. I've only had mine for a few days and haven't had to fill up yet but this seems like it's a real pain. I've pretty much decided to not use the auto lock feature as I'm old school that way.
That's also an option haha - I found the autolock rather convenient, so I'd rather have it enabled for the 95% it's useful, and just deal with the 5% when it isn't.

Threemaples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX, 2011 Hyundai Sante Fe
After 16k miles in my touring, I have come across some little annoyances that I have listed below. I still find it to be a great car, especially for the price. Fuel economy is fantastic. LED headlights are amazing. Decently quiet for its class.

4. Volume control in drive thru, wheel is always turned, makes it hard to do the "quick mute" swipe
5. Apple maps, if I used it last time I drove, my phone automatically opens the map app in the background during the current trip. I have to close the map app when connected to CarPlay to make it stop
6. Flimsy roof: sounds like it will be shaken off in the dryer section of the car wash
7. Alternate skin for screen: requires more taps of the screen to access the preset radio stations
10: turbo/CVT lag/high overall final drive ratio: taking off from a standstill is slow, hard to dart out into traffic and is occasionally scary! (Once it gets going it's great)
12: CMBS: it put me at a complete stop in an intersection when it thought i was too close to a bus (bus was turning right, I was going straight, it thought my closing speed was too fast)
13: ACC: great for 2-lane roads, terrible for highways, people keep cutting in front because of the large gap
14: LKAS: again, great for 2-lane country roads, terrible anywhere near construction, sometimes it wants me to ram into trucks in the next lane
15: Honda sensing in general: I started out to be a super-fan, now it gets turned off unless I'm on a 2-lane country road. It is only half baked and not very smooth.
16: optimistic fuel economy gage, always 1 to 1.5 mpg optimistic (not terrible, but annoying)
17. Big red tomato ignition button. Ruins dash. What were they thinking? Should change to green or blue...like other cars

Dan198

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW 335 xDrive, 2010 Audi Q5, 2014 Porsche Boxster S, 2016 Civic EX
Country flag
17. Big red tomato ignition button. Ruins dash. What were they thinking? Should change to green or blue...like other cars
18. On EX less HS, when going downhill, the cruise control doesn't slow the car down to maintain the set speed.

timt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Steering wheel spoke attaches at the bottom, leaving no place to rest your palm at the very bottom of the wheel. Many other cars have the same design, but my previous car had a nice cutout where I could grab the wheel. Now I have to hold the wheel at an angle from the plumb line, and that is not comfortable.

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
18. On EX less HS, when going downhill, the cruise control doesn't slow the car down to maintain the set speed.
Book says it will do this if you have ECO mode on. Cruise does slow you down when ECO is off. I've tried it and it works as advertised.

myriad46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
The swipe gesture works on the capacitive buttons on the head unit itself, also. Just found that out the other day. I do agree, though. I often want to skip a track while on a curve. I love the tight steering for driving, but even the slightest curve puts the buttons signifincanty out of place.

On the steering wheel buttons...I never thought i'd say this, but there are almost too many. If I'm distracted, I'll accidently change the audio input trying to change the volume, or adjust the volume instead of the cruise control, etc.. Certainly took some getting used to, coming from a car with no steering wheel controls.

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad

1. Siri is really loud when she speaks but voice calls are quiet (makes Siri shockingly loud next time I use her after a call) UF: all volumes can be set in the settings
4. Volume control in drive thru, wheel is always turned, makes it hard to do the "quick mute" swipe UF: hit the AUDIO power button conveniently places at upper left of the infoturdment screen.
7. Alternate skin for screen: requires more taps of the screen to access the preset radio stations UF: use the steering wheel controls
10: turbo/CVT lag/high overall final drive ratio: taking off from a standstill is slow, hard to dart out into traffic and is occasionally scary! (Once it gets going it's great) UF: use "L" mode and have fun!
See inserts above.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The swipe gesture works on the capacitive buttons on the head unit itself, also. Just found that out the other day. I do agree, though. I often want to skip a track while on a curve. I love the tight steering for driving, but even the slightest curve puts the buttons signifincanty out of place.

On the steering wheel buttons...I never thought i'd say this, but there are almost too many. If I'm distracted, I'll accidently change the audio input trying to change the volume, or adjust the volume instead of the cruise control, etc.. Certainly took some getting used to, coming from a car with no steering wheel controls.
I find there's just enough for the functions that are needed IMO. But, I think the buttons feel and look cheap. It looks like el cheapo plastic on top of printed paper. And the creak a bit when you click them, would have preferred the rubberized style controls of any other Honda.

OP
OP
WhatTheFun

WhatTheFun

Knows some stuff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
See inserts above.
Yes, I am aware of those. Doesn't stop me from being annoyed by them :rant:

As for the "L" that does not address the final drive ratio or turbo lag. I'm mostly concerned about the first 30 feet from a stop.

But I guess I'll keep the car;)

Jl-QC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic Touring 2016
Vehicle Showcase
Totally agree with #11 Wipers, it's never consistant and sometimes the wipers start to go so fast even without big rain.. Very annoying.
Sponsored