List of Factory Defects

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Again, there are no pressure sensors used in the tires on indirect TPMS like the Civic's.
Even on systems that do use pressure sensors, the sensor is contained completely inside the tire and is not exposed to the outside elements.
But they fail. Just had one replaced for a slow leak at 60,000 miles - $161 ouch!
Sponsored

OP
OP
zroger73

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
But they fail. Just had one replaced for a slow leak at 60,000 miles - $161 ouch!
Ouch is right! Those sensors retail for $45 and can purchased for online for less. Many tire shops will unmount and remount a tire for the price of a flat repair or less (~$10) and charge $30 to program the replacement sensor to the vehicle. $161 is about twice too much. :(

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Ouch is right! Those sensors retail for $45 and can purchased for online for less. Many tire shops will unmount and remount a tire for the price of a flat repair or less (~$10) and charge $30 to program the replacement sensor to the vehicle. $161 is about twice too much. :(
So about a total of $85 if we'd gotten it on-line. Considering a 3-5 day wait (no Prime) without the car and having to then find an installer, not to mention finding the less than 1 psi per month leak cause that I'd already done the easy things, I consider it money well spent. And, we got a detailed intro to the Si Coupe along with the wife getting a fit test in the CTR seat - a perfect fit by the way! This was the first "defect" in our Si so I'm not disheartened.

OP
OP
zroger73

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Two more:

4. Fabric on both sun visors is loose as if it weren't stretched tight enough and/or is missing adhesive.

5. Gasket between spoiler and trunk lid is coming out.

EDIT: Fixed. The exposed plastic film-backed foam gasket pieces easily pulled right off. There were small pieces of the ends still sticking out, so I gently lifted up the spoiler and shoved them back under the spoiler with the edge of a business card.

Honda Civic 10th gen List of Factory Defects IMG_7233.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen List of Factory Defects IMG_7232.JPG

Last edited:

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I just at checked mine. 41 in the front and 40 in the rear. Going to air them down to the proper PSI.

Thanks for the info!
Mine were also at 40 psi and I actually drove it like that for 2 weeks! My buddy who use to work at a tire shop told me that as long as you are 10-15 psi under that max load then it's fine.... after two weeks I could not understand why the ride was always so bumpy even on normal mode. After deflating to 33-32 psi , car is so much better.

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2012 Honda Accord LX-P
Country flag
Two more:

4. Fabric on both sun visors is loose as if it weren't stretched tight enough and/or is missing adhesive.

5. Gasket between spoiler and trunk lid is coming out.

IMG_7233.JPG

IMG_7232.JPG
Have you taken this back to the dealer for a fix yet?

My visors suffer the same symptoms

OP
OP
zroger73

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I finally got around to fixing my subwoofer rattle today.

First, I downloaded an app called Signal Generator by Media Punk Studios (UPDATE: See new recommendation below*) on my iPad which I connected to my Si via Bluetooth. I set the radio's volume at 20, the iPad's volume at 100%, the app at 0 dB, and swept through low frequencies. I found that my rattle was centered around 40 Hz. It didn't take long to find the rattle was the plastic trim on the rear deck vibrating against the metal structure below. I removed the trunk light and inserted about a 1" square by 3" long piece of foam weatherstripping towards the rear of the car between the plastic trim and the metal. No more subwoofer rattle.

*I found a tone generator I liked better: Audio Signal Generator by Thomas Gruber. I liked it well enough for pay $1.99 to remove the ads and unlock all the features.

Honda Civic 10th gen List of Factory Defects subfix1.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen List of Factory Defects subfix2

Last edited:

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Found a few issues with the front end panel gaps. I had expected a few hiccups with the Si being a new unit at the Ontario plant. While the bumper alignment is not common, the hood alignment has been previously reported on the 2016s. I'm surprised that both I and Honda missed it during inspection. But the good news is that the dealer will have it resolved in a day (hopefully). I know their network's body shop does really good work, so I'm optimistic things will be just fine after Monday.

The fender will need to be pulled slightly to align with the plastic bumper.

Honda Civic 10th gen List of Factory Defects 20170825_125515

Hard to see here, but the hood edges near the cowl sit 2 mm too low. They will adjust the hood and potentially pull the edges to align.

Honda Civic 10th gen List of Factory Defects 20170825_130758

Honda Civic 10th gen List of Factory Defects 20170825_130806

OP
OP
zroger73

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Found a few issues with the front end panel gaps.
Yeah - my driver's side front bumper doesn't sit flush against the fender. If you push it back in, it just pops right back out either immediately or after driving. I'm used to this since all three of my first-generation Ridgelines had this same issue. There was never a 100%, guaranteed fix in its case.

Honda Civic 10th gen List of Factory Defects IMG_7268.JPG

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2012 Honda Accord LX-P
Country flag
My hood is lower than the fenders on both sides at different rates

Should I go complain about this? Will they fix it?

wopsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
Right side of my sedan spoiler is loose due to 3m tape holding it down at the end, which the tape ended up splitting in half horizontly the long way. Had them retape it. Most of it connected onto the surface but part of the tape is still "lifted". Must be an uneven spoiler surface that's not fully flush onto the trunk. Still is sticking. Any of you guys have that issue? I only discovered it by waxing my whole car. Otherwise I wouldn't have discovered it till much later.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Yeah - my driver's side front bumper doesn't sit flush against the fender. If you push it back in, it just pops right back out either immediately or after driving. I'm used to this since all three of my first-generation Ridgelines had this same issue. There was never a 100%, guaranteed fix in its case.

IMG_7268.JPG
My hood is lower than the fenders on both sides at different rates

Should I go complain about this? Will they fix it?
My understanding is that Honda is pretty attentive the first year of ownership. If it bugs you, I'm sure they'll offer a fix. I'll plan to report back with photos.

OP
OP
zroger73

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My understanding is that Honda is pretty attentive the first year of ownership. If it bugs you, I'm sure they'll offer a fix. I'll plan to report back with photos.
Oh, they are. However, I can't recall the number of times they tried on the Ridgeline only for the bumper to pop back out of place days later, if not on the way home. It was just a poor design. And, the less a dealer touches my vehicle the better. I took a perfect Ridgeline in earlier this year for a wiring harness recall that ended up with a gouged rear bumper that needed replacement - and that was just the most recent example. Another Ridgeline before that at a different dealer had the power seat switch reinstalled upside down (did they not test it after reassembly and realize the seat worked opposite of the switch?) after replacement of some factory trim that didn't snap together properly from the factory. I have many other examples from different dealers over the decades. :)

DR_FC1

First Name
Darien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Aegean Blue Si, 1997 Ek Hatchback Cx
So I just picked up a new '17 Si sedan after trading in my 9th gen Si coupe & i like the car and all the amenities that it has compared to my previous Si (which was a '13). The only thing i that threw me off was i turned on the car to change some of the settings with the keyless feature and when i turned off the car you heard a noise coming from the engine bay and the car and engine shake but it only seemed to happen when i was turned on the car and stood stationary and then turned it off again. I drove to work from long island to manhattan and turning off the car nothing was out of the ordinary. Just wondering if anyone else had this issue. New Si has about 150 miles on it. I'm not to sure if anyone has posted about this in any other threads i couldn't find it but i could've missed it. thanks
Sponsored