Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Abuse with a tune (IMO) means constantly brake launching or anti-lag or tweaking the boost table too high or ignoring problems with parameters like fuel trims on datalogs.

That's different than just driving the car a bit aggressively which mostly only hurts mpgs.

Israel, with the street MAF, you should be fine
Sponsored

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Abuse with a tune (IMO) means constantly brake launching or anti-lag or tweaking the boost table too high or ignoring problems with parameters like fuel trims on datalogs.

That's different than just driving the car a bit aggressively which mostly only hurts mpgs.

Israel, with the street MAF, you should be fine
Anti-Lag is like when you unable the lag on a tuebo? Or what it is?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
The "problem" with tuning is that Ktuner/Hondata makes it too easy and accessible for the masses. Anyone can buy a tuner and turn up the boost without doing their homework. A lot of people don't do datalogs or monitor the fuel trim of their vehicle. It doesn't help that there are poorly designed intakes and a bov that is harmful to our cars.

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The "problem" with tuning is that Ktuner/Hondata makes it too easy and accessible for the masses. Anyone can buy a tuner and turn up the boost without doing their homework. A lot of people don't do datalogs or monitor the fuel trim of their vehicle. It doesn't help that there are poorly designed intakes and a bov that is harmful to our cars.
What do you think of the Design of Cobra cold airintake?
I was about to get Injen but did some research and found the problems wity fuel trims

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Two ways of looking at that. You're right, people can easily f up their car by going into tables and altering things. Or by buying crappy bolt ons or not monitoring fuel trims. But...

People have to be smart about things and respect the power of the tune. If you don't know what you're doing, you shouldn't mess with boost or ignition. If you don't know how to datalog, you probably shouldn't even tune. You just have to be smart. Hondata or Ktuner isn't to blame for offering tuning devices to the masses. I recommended people read and learn all they can about engines, turbos, tuning and the tuning devices themselves before buying and using one.

What do you think of the Design of Cobra cold airintake?
I was about to get Injen but did some research and found the problems wity fuel trims
If someone offers you an Injen intake for FREE for our car, run away.. fast. They are garbage. The PRL Cobra is excellent.

Last edited:

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Two ways of looking at that. You're right, people can easily f up their car by going into tables and altering things. Or buy buying crappy bolt ons or not monitoring fuel trims. But...

People have to be smart about things and respect the power of the tune. If you don't know what you're doing, you shouldn't mess with boost or ignition. If you don't know how to datalog, you probably shouldn't even tune. You just have to be smart. Hondata or Ktuner isn't to blame for offering tuning devices on the masses. I recommended reading and learning all you can about engines, turbos, tuning and the tuning devices themselves before buying and using one.
Agree
Research before doing anything

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Agree
Research before doing anything
Yep. Back in the day, I knew nothing about tuning. I asked question after question and read all the great answers I got from members here. It was only then that I finally decided to tune my car. In my opinion, tuning done right is mostly safe. But, it's also easy to damage you car if you aren't careful with your choices.

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yep. Back in the day, I knew nothing about tuning. I asked question after question and read all the great answers I got from members here. It was only then that I finally decided to tune my car. In my opinion, tuning done right is mostly safe. But, it's also easy to damage you car if you aren't careful with your choices.
Same here im on my process of asking after question fir the day when I decide to Tune my Car ill be knowing what im doing

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Those who don't know what they are doing should only use the tunes that come with Ktuner (base tunes) or TSP's stage 1 tune. With the TSP tune, you can't mess with the settings because they lock it down. Both these tunes are safe if you don't mess with them.

That being said, like WRX's, STI's and EVO's, people from these car cultures have some kind of modding bug in them, so warning people just goes to deaf ears. Check out Regularcars YouTube video reviewing a WRX. Hilarious!

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
....the point I made is inarguable, regardless of your trying.
One must be very young and radical to say this....:lol:

And yes, it's my opinion.. It's an opinion based on solid fact:
You should start with this, :lol: not the above "inarguable point." How solid is a "fact" and whether it indeed is a fact, is also only your opinion. Even if you are an professional, official, certified, accredited and authorized "fact checker." :p

If you need your warranty, leave it alone.

And yes, it's my opinion.. It's an opinion based on solid fact: I also wasn't the one to comment about it being "all too common" someone ruins their car and wants it repaired under warranty and needs to "reflash back to stock". I'm clearly not the only one that is smarter than you're giving credit for. ;) A lot of us have an extended warranty as well.
It's better to leave it alone or get someone who knows what they're doing to modify your car. Sure, most people get away with a moderate tune, but even if you have done relatively nothing to it, a simple repair like a head gasket is going to come out of your pocket instead of being warrantied. There is nothing wrong with modifying your car, but if you chose to do it, it's better to have an outfit that will warranty their own work to do it so you're not out of pocket if it goes poof. ;)
So here is my "inarguable opinion" :D: :rofl:
I never used the power train warranty ever in my life. (Fact) That's because I never broke my power train in any car I ever owned (Fact). That's probably the case because I never bought a stupid car like a Chrysler, a Focus with a DCT, or another shitbox that blows its gasket at 20 kmiles. I also never had a Hyundai/Kia or some such vehicle with extra long power train warranty. Any power train issues I ever had happened long time and far away from the power train warranty. Even a potential extended warranty (which I never had in my life). Maybe I'm also lucky. In any case, the power train warranty has been entirely useless to me.

So my only hope to ever have a chance to use the power train warranty is a tune, and a tolerant dealer service. Since I can't count on that, the power train warranty is still useless to me, whether stock or tune.

Warranty might (a definite firm maybe :hmm:) be useful for other things like AC, power this or that, etc.. But, Honda is capable of trying to suck some of the owner's money for AC repair even during the warranty period, which is crazy. And it will most often fail just after the mileage or time limit. Mazda replaced on warranty my broken door handles once or twice, but they were the same junk and they kept breaking, so I still had to /do it/pay for it/ myself for the rest of the time. Other mfrs may be even worse.

So generally, I don't care all that much about warranties. I focus on keeping away from unreliable stuff instead of relying on warranties. If I could get an additional 10-15% off the purchase price, I would gladly go without any warranties for most products I buy, and I would be ahead. Your mileage may vary, depending on what you buy, how you use it, and how much God loves you.

TL;DR : Power train warranty is way overrated.
If you buy the right car and don't tune it and don't abuse it, you will never need your power train warranty.
If you tune the car and/or abuse it, the power train warranty may pay if you're lucky, but don't count on it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Moisescanoo

Moisescanoo

First Name
Moises Cano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic coupe EX-T
Country flag
I am so sorry for not responding I wasent getting emails notified to my phone untill today. But here’s an update about my not blown tranny, I was driving with my friend and he told me I had a blown tranny so I thought so too (we are teens). So I towed my car home and then the next day I came here to get some help and information, and it worked!. A guy named gtman told me what to do. I told him what mods I had and he told me to take out the ijen SRI and out the stock one back. So I did and everything went back to normal weird to me...my check engine light was gone and it drives again! About the cylinders miss firing I don’t know about that I just plugged in my Hondata and threw that code. About my car is there anything else I should check or clean like fuel pumps or stuff? Sorry for the late response I work 2 jobs also I don’t have much free time. But thanks to everyone who told me something. Oh and I’m stopid stoned and these seems long bye.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
here’s an update about my not blown tranny, I was driving with my friend and he told me I had a blown tranny so I thought so too (we are teens). .
So I towed my car home and then the next day I came here to get some help and information, and it worked!. A guy named gtman told me what to do. I told him what mods I had and he told me to take out the ijen SRI and out the stock one back. So I did and everything went back to normal weird to me...my check engine light was gone and it drives again!

Oh and I’m stopid stoned and these seems long bye.
OK, so what you're saying is, my advice and posts were right on the money. Good. :)

Now, since it was nothing but a temporary limp mode situation and not a blown trans due to the tune, can you change the topic title? Also, don't drive stoned.

Last edited:

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda civic lx 2020 civic si
Country flag
I am so sorry for not responding I wasent getting emails notified to my phone untill today. But here’s an update about my not blown tranny, I was driving with my friend and he told me I had a blown tranny so I thought so too (we are teens). So I towed my car home and then the next day I came here to get some help and information, and it worked!. A guy named gtman told me what to do. I told him what mods I had and he told me to take out the ijen SRI and out the stock one back. So I did and everything went back to normal weird to me...my check engine light was gone and it drives again! About the cylinders miss firing I don’t know about that I just plugged in my Hondata and threw that code. About my car is there anything else I should check or clean like fuel pumps or stuff? Sorry for the late response I work 2 jobs also I don’t have much free time. But thanks to everyone who told me something. Oh and I’m stopid stoned and these seems long bye.
@gtman to the rescue :headbang:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
moisescanoo...

Thanks for the update, the props and the title change. :thumbsup: Glad it worked out. My bill for the helpful advice will be in the mail soon. ;)

And for all those who jumped to the conclusion that the "blown trans" was caused by the tune...

...oh nevermind... too easy. :cool:
Sponsored

Last edited: