Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
FC3L15B7, everyone here knows there's inherent risk/reward in tuning. And being here since 2015, I've read and written a ton on tuning pros and cons. The base tunes are super dialed back and conservative. The tuning reliability survey shows most people have had little to no problems.

As far as your comment about people needing to "be happy with what they got" until the warranty is out, that's your opinion, but...

I've been modding my cars for 40 years under warranty. It's a choice to personalize and improve on the generic factory car. And most folks don't want to wait 5 years to truly improve their cars driveability. A tune isn't just about ultimate power. The reduced lag, removed rev hang, better than stock throttle response and improved VSA all contribute to a much better driving experience.

A simple tune is a great mod. Back in the day I was adding intakes and exhausts and boring out throttle bodies etc. to eek out power. With a tune, you have a plug and play standalone mod that gives you'll all you really need even without any other mod.

Last but not least your comment about the warranty being over if you flash a tune is untrue. My warranty is intact. Obviously, destroy an engine or transmission and you're most likely screwed but you're assuming all tuned cars will have mechanical issues related to the warranty. Also, a tune won't affect someones coverage on their A/C, for example.
It doesn't matter if you've been somewhere a day or a decade. It doesn't matter if you've been modifying cars since the dawn of the Model T - it means nothing because the point I made is inarguable, regardless of your trying. If you need your warranty, leave it alone.

I also wasn't the one to comment about it being "all too common" someone ruins their car and wants it repaired under warranty and needs to "reflash back to stock". I'm clearly not the only one that is smarter than you're giving credit for. ;) A lot of us have an extended warranty as well.

And yes, it's my opinion.. It's an opinion based on solid fact: It's better to leave it alone or get someone who knows what they're doing to modify your car. Sure, most people get away with a moderate tune, but even if you have done relatively nothing to it, a simple repair like a head gasket is going to come out of your pocket instead of being warrantied. There is nothing wrong with modifying your car, but if you chose to do it, it's better to have an outfit that will warranty their own work to do it so you're not out of pocket if it goes poof. ;)
Sponsored

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda civic lx 2020 civic si
Country flag
Some dealerships sell hondata tunes. Seems like the safe route, tune with warranty intact.

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Some dealerships sell hondata tunes. Seems like the safe route, tune with warranty intact.
Right. And who warranties the car if something goes wrong? Them - the outfit that tuned it. That was the point I was making. Just pointing that out in general.. Not something you originally said. ;)

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Right. And who warranties the car if something goes wrong? Them - the outfit that tuned it. That was the point I was making. Just pointing that out in general.. Not something you originally said. ;)
How did you not see that was my point to agree with both of you? I was giving the best of both worlds scenario.

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How did you not see that was my point to agree with both of you? I was giving the best of both worlds scenario.
That's a kind intention, but it doesn't change the fact that what you said is exactly what I was saying about having professionals tune it instead of going about it yourself and being out of pocket if it goes wrong. :)

SDotLee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
My car has been tuned for over a year and I have had zero issues. So I am not sure what all the fuss is about when it comes to tuning. Do it properly and obviously do not abuse the car and you will be fine. Most people don't understand the limits of these motors and think they can just throw everything at it with a stock turbo and internals.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
^ You hit the nail on the head, as I've been trying to explain in these threads. Look, no one who is tuned is telling anyone tuning is a MUST DO mod. It's a choice. But these folks painting a tune as some sort of massive mistake aren't putting it in perspective.

Number one, as a mod, a tune is the simplest way to increase power. And sure it's possible it could cause issues as could virtually any mod. But I truly believe the pro 10th gen tuners have created very thoughtful tunes and have dialed back the tunes quite a bit for safety. Yes, you hear about issues but without question most of the issues happen with people haphazardly adding bolts-ons and not tailoring a custom tune to those bolts on. Or their cars were flat out abused.

In the tuning reliability survey here at the community 97% of members have had no serious problems due to the tunes and that's in a combined 2,000,000+ miles.

Number two, before anyone makes comments about the "evils" of tuning, buy a tune. Try a tune. Live with a tune. Talk to Derek and Doug and JR. You may come away with a more balanced point of view.

Number 3. I think most people are like me. I liked my car but felt like it was lacking a bit in a few areas. That's why I've always modded. I've made improvement in looks and lighting and handling and performance. The tune gives me better driveability. And quite honestly, the improved throttle response and lack of lag has gotten me out of some near misses on the road. It's not about running the car hard all the time. Matter of fact, I take it easy most of the time. Just knowing the power is there though gives me a more confident feeling on the road.

I guess we've all said what we feel about tuning and we're going to agree to disagree.

Back on topic, let's wait for the OP to come back with updates. Maybe he'll pop by in 2020. Hopefully. :cool:

Last edited:

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
my biggest issue with tune the threads are twofold. One no one really posts success stories, so whether it’s frequent or not it has the appearance that issues are in fact frequent. And two, no one posts updates. If tunes do cause minor problems no ones posted the evidence to prove they’re minor. Obviously some ppl have tuned with great success and that’s awesome. Personally I can only reference what I read daily and sadly that’s usually bad stories. Maybe people can start posting some success stories, I am open minded, but the last 12 months haven’t looked great

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
arsh88,

I had ongoing Hondata and now KTuner "journal threads" that document my success over the last nearly two years and many hundreds of posts. The tuning survey I started paints a very positive picture for the most part too. If you look in the Ktuner and Hondata sections most posts are positive as well.

Here's the thing. When we see the blown motor/trans threads, that gets our attention. The topics generally get heated and are often closed by the admin or mod here. But read the entire thread and we often are either left in the dark as to the real story or it's painfully obvious it was abuse.

But look, if the idea of potentially losing warranty coverage or potential damage stops anyone from tuning, I totally get that. I'd never belittle someone's choice to stay stock. For me, at least, and my driving style, I feel fairly confident the better driveability from tuning is worth the risk. I mean I'm not tracking the car, generally just city/highway commute and only drive hard maybe 5% of the time. But man oh man that 5% is crazy fun. :)

https://www.civicx.com/threads/my-ktuner-experience-an-ongoing-journal.29033/
https://www.civicx.com/threads/have-a-turbo-and-a-cvt-considering-a-tune-read-this.31242/
https://www.civicx.com/threads/tune...nce-survey-si-non-si-type-r-with-stats.42361/
https://www.civicx.com/threads/hondata-flashpro-6-psi-my-ongoing-review.21931/

Last edited:

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
my biggest issue with tune the threads are twofold. One no one really posts success stories, so whether it’s frequent or not it has the appearance that issues are in fact frequent. And two, no one posts updates. If tunes do cause minor problems no ones posted the evidence to prove they’re minor. Obviously some ppl have tuned with great success and that’s awesome. Personally I can only reference what I read daily and sadly that’s usually bad stories. Maybe people can start posting some success stories, I am open minded, but the last 12 months haven’t looked great
I am going to post a success story. I tuned my 2018 Si, TSP stage 1 tune. I also installed a performance intercooler (Mishimoto Performance IC). I drove the car for 1 year, 3 months and 17K. I drove it hard. Very hard. I drove it more than 8 times between Northern and Southern California, 360 miles each way in temps ranging from 115 degrees F in the summer and below 30 degrees F in the winter at speeds up to 90 mph for 6 to 8 hours straight. I drove it for hours upon hours in stop and go LA traffic.

Data logs while doing spirited driving showed fuel trims, knock control all normal. Two oil change samples at 7K were sent to Blackstone labs and Oil Analyzers showed oil was 100 percent normal. I again want to emphasize that I drove this car hard. I didn't race it but I did drive it hard.

My advice to people? Stay away from bolt-on's, especially Injen intakes. The only bolt-on's I would use are a good quality Intercooler. If you look thru "engine blown" threads, you will find a few common denominators: Bolt-on's and custom tunes, and sometimes flex fuel. Basically people trying to push these motors way to far on a stock build. Anyway that's my story

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That's a kind intention, but it doesn't change the fact that what you said is exactly what I was saying about having professionals tune it instead of going about it yourself and being out of pocket if it goes wrong. :)
Again we are making the same point. I was saying what you where saying. Except adding actual usuable info on where to get a tune and retain warranty. The hondata tune from honda isnt a professional tune. Its the same +6 psi ots tune everyone else runs when they buy the actual hondata unit. But again, probably what you meant. And yeah honda warrantys the car with that tune they give you. No professional tuner is going to warranty any of the hardware he tunes.

there is no more saftey in these "pro tunes" than the ots hondata. Its all about who loads the tune. You or honda.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Meh.

The OPs transmission must have blown up with a few kilotons of force finally... because... he gone.

Look for the crater with the Honda emblem on the ground nearby. Say a prayer for all of those that are tuned, that they don’t meet the same fate, explode and take out a nearby town.

Happy (almost) new year. The rum is flowing here in SE GA.

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
You guys do realize that 95+ percent of tuned 10th gens are doing just fine right?

Check out the survey if you think I'm bs'ing. And like I've mentioned abuse is generally the cause of the problems.

But you know what? Preach the dangers of tuning. Feel free. I'll enjoy my helluva fun tuned car.
Abuse as to Step heavy on the Gas Everytime?
Gtman I have a question I have PRL intercooler and Street Cobra Cold Air intake is it safe to drive it with out a Tune. Dont want my fuel trims go off Lol
Sponsored