Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
This might be a stupid question but I'll ask anyway. ;)

I know these tunes were developed on a bone stock car. My car is mechanically stock except for a high flow aFe air filter. To be on the "safe" side should I just go back to the stock filter? I do remember Doug saying that using an aftermarket hi-flow filter could possibly throw off some numbers.

The reason I ask is that yesterday I did some WOT runs (uphill admittedly) and the power was a little underwhelming... almost felt like stock WOT. I know there are a lot of factors but it felt less powerful than usual. I run 93 octane. Ambient air temps were in the 40's and the car was fully warmed up.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jamroxorz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This might be a stupid question but I'll ask anyway. ;)

I know these tunes were developed on a bone stock car. My car is mechanically stock except for a high flow aFe air filter. To be on the "safe" side should I just go back to the stock filter? I do remember Doug saying that using an aftermarket hi-flow filter could possibly throw off some numbers.

The reason I ask is that yesterday I did some WOT runs (uphill admittedly) and the power was a little underwhelming... almost felt like stock WOT. I know there are a lot of factors but it felt less powerful than usual. I run 93 octane. Ambient air temps were in the 40's and the car was fully warmed up.
Never trust butt dyno. Datalog and look at your boost pressure and numbers. Changing your intake MAY throw off your AFM readings and fuel trims. Just a filter change? I highly doubt it changed anything at all, because you’re not moving around the air box or the MAF sensor. Try flashing back to stock and see how that feels haha.

Also - as silly as it may sound - make sure you’re not useing hondata mode for the Econ button, and not using Econ =S

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Never trust butt dyno. Datalog and look at your boost pressure and numbers. Changing your intake MAY throw off your AFM readings and fuel trims. Just a filter change? I highly doubt it changed anything at all, because you’re not moving around the air box or the MAF sensor. Try flashing back to stock and see how that feels haha.

Also - as silly as it may sound - make sure you’re not useing hondata mode for the Econ button, and not using Econ =S
What is hondata mode? Is it enabled by default on the maps they provide?

Nevermind .Found it
https://www.hondata.com/help/flashpro/index.html?hondata_mode.htm

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

I am using Hondata mode for the econ button. Why is that bad? Or do you just mean make sure I wasn't in Econ. I wasn't by the way. :)

Jamroxorz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am using Hondata mode for the econ button. Why is that bad? Or do you just mean make sure I wasn't in Econ. I wasn't by the way. :)
Nope not bad, just would obviously make your car feel stock haha. If you weren’t using it then yeah, try to datalog.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Drove it today like I stole it and holy hell. Passing was effortless. Yesterday must have been a fluke. Or, maybe the Hondata base +6 tune does work better on a non modded car. I did put the stock filter back in. This car is crazy fun with the added boost. Need better tires though.

Last edited:

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Drove it today like I stole it and holy hell. Passing was effortless. Yesterday must have been a fluke. Or, maybe the Hondata base +6 tune does work better on a non modded car. I did put the stock filter back in. This car is crazy fun with the added boost. Need better tires though.
The AFE filter you were using was just the high flow panel filter right?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For what it's worth you are not going to have any issues with a drop in filter, since the MAF sensor housing has not been modified in any way.

Spunkster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 CTR, 2x 98 ITR's, 88 Integra, 06 RSX Type S
Country flag
Happened again today. On the +6 psi tune. All stock other than the tune. Was driving home, went WOT and at about 4500rpm the car surged and then lost all power. Check engine light flashing and won’t move under its own power. Pulled over. Try to rev it and it revs super rough. Plugged in my flashpro and knock control is at 99. If I rev it afr is around 15-17. Super lean. Showing codes for misfire on cylinder 1-4 as well as multiple random misfire.

This is the second time this has happened to my car on the plus 6psi tune and I’m about to take the tune off and throw it away and go elsewhere.
Do you have a datalog of this?

OsosikMedia

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si 2017 Civic SI x2
Country flag
I second the fuel possibility. I had someone ask me why their car was running funny, then I looked at the knock and it was high. I then asked which fuel he uses and that made him remember, he did an emergency fill up (before running out) and his only option was 87 octane.

But remember, the only true way to see what is going on is by analyzing. Datalogging is a MAJOR tool so i'd say record a log of it happening, then reach out for some help. Either to Hondata Tech Support or anyone on here. Feel free to message me, I can help with what I can...and if I don't know the answer, i'm sure I can find out.

OP
OP
Jay.DeVries

Jay.DeVries

Yee Yee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
going to try and datalog it tonight. It never seems to do in when I am. But it’s not a fuel issue. On 93 octane. No ethanol.

OsosikMedia

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si 2017 Civic SI x2
Country flag
going to try and datalog it tonight. It never seems to do in when I am. But it’s not a fuel issue. On 93 octane. No ethanol.
Ok, well just Log it anyway (try and make it repeat). Then feel free to send it to me and I can review it.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.