• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

OP
OP

Tokyotexan

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Evo 5, 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS coupe
  • Banned
Shouldn’t surprise anyone, Toyota is doing the exact same with the GR Corolla.
GRC is in the thousands though, not the hundreds. Also won't be offered in the UK.

Whitboy82

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
GRC is in the thousands though, not the hundreds. Also won't be offered in the UK.
Ok let me clarify. I am 100% certain, that UK publication is referring to UK allotments and not 100s for the entire world. And I understand the GR Corolla isn’t offered in the UK, I’m simply saying, it’s similar to what Toyota is doing.

kevinwang

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
I'm based in London, joined the wait list in my local dealer this Feburary. Checked with the dealer today, they have no information so far.

Whitboy82

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
Of the 47,000 FK8 Type Rs made, nearly 20,000 were estimated to be sold in the US. That would be somewhere near 4,000/year, here in the US…and that’s a country with 350,000,000 people…so obviously the UK doesn’t need to make anywhere near 4,000/year…hence 100s being a realistic number for them, or at least a relative number.

People have to remember when they read articles from other markets, that it applies to their market and not automatically the US or the world.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Tokyotexan

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Evo 5, 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS coupe
  • Banned
Of the 47,000 FK8 Type Rs made, nearly 20,000 were estimated to be sold in the US. That would be somewhere near 4,000/year, here in the US…and that’s a country with 350,000,000 people…so obviously the UK doesn’t need to make anywhere near 4,000/year…hence 100s being a realistic number for them, or at least a relative number.

People have to remember when they read articles from other markets, that it applies to their market and not automatically the US or the world.
Well yea, this is why I said "at least in the UK." But what was the most interesting part in the article was the UK chief of Toyota said they want the car to be exclusive, thus meaning that the low numbers is for exclusivity and that production numbers will not be based on population of said country.
I don't think it will apply to NA, but who knows at this point.

Whitboy82

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
Yeah who knows… it’s gonna get spicy, no matter what.

KoukiVAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR(Sold), 19 TLX, 21 Veloster N
I thought the FK8 was supposed to be "limited production" too tho lol That's what dealerships said when it first came out.

mpneda

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 WRX STI
I'm for sure getting it, I'm planning to sell my 2012 sti for 25k, use 20k as a downpayment, and the rest for taxes and registration etc. Willing to wait but hopefully I can find a deal close to msrp.

D.no

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 GT3, Range Rover Velar, MINI Cooper
I'm based in London, joined the wait list in my local dealer this Feburary. Checked with the dealer today, they have no information so far.
I'm also UK-based. In order to sort those merely interested from those with a real intent to purchase my local dealership started taking deposits earlier this month. When I placed my deposit I was told I was the second person to do so, and that the dealership only expects to get 2 or 3 cars.

This seems to support the comments regarding supply being limited (for the UK at least), and is perhaps also linked to the comments about RHD drive cars being built in Japan (capacity constraints?)

With domestic production of the (LHD)CTR now to be in the US, it could be an entirely different situation over there.

Of course, the numbers may not be limited at all, and could well be based on sales predictions if the cost turns out be significantly above ÂŁ40k!

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000, Nissan Skyline R33 GTR
If it's deliberately going to offered in such limited numbers then I'm losing interest. It's supposed to be an accessible practical performance car you can do everything with as a daily driver, not a collectors item there for individual investment or brand boosting. What a shame.

Whitboy82

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
If it's deliberately going to offered in such limited numbers then I'm losing interest. It's supposed to be an accessible practical performance car you can do everything with as a daily driver, not a collectors item there for individual investment or brand boosting. What a shame.
I mean, first off, the last gen FK8 was made in low volume. It averaged 4,000/year in the US. As for your opinion on what the Type R is, I personally disagree. The Si sounds like what you’re describing. I mean, yes the Type R can be considered more accessible and practical than say, an S2000, but it’s still a special vehicle, that didn’t even exist here before 2017.

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000, Nissan Skyline R33 GTR
That's a fair point you make about the Si, but sadly we don't and won't get that in the UK. I don't know the precise number, but I don't think the FK8 Type R was as limited over here as it was in the US.

Whitboy82

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
I mean, I agree with where you’re coming from too, it would be a shame to be so limited, only very few enthusiasts can get their hands on it.
Sponsored