Lightweight 16 inch wheel options in Europe

thetracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic FK6 1.0T
Country flag
Hello,

I am driving my 1.0 with 16 inch steel wheels through the winter and the engine response is noticeably better, especially when pulling away, or bellow 2200rpm. Ride is also smoother. I researched a bit, and apparently the steel wheels weigh 8kg each whereas the 16 inch Honda alloys weigh more than 11kg each.

So that got me thinking if we have some lighter wheel options in Europe. especially 16 inch. I checked some sites and the offer is mostly the same; Enkei Yamato, Autec Wizard, Oz Ultraleggera from more established manufacturers. Then there's Königsräder KR1 or Japan Racing JR3, which have TUV approval but are they safe enough? Sidewall will be generous with 215/55/16 tires so maybe they should work.

What do you think? Do you know about other lightweight wheels, preferably with some sort of TUV approval?
Sponsored

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My winter wheels are Brock /RC design RC19 which came from a hyundai i40 .They are 17x7 ET40 have TuV and are much lighter then my oem alloy 17x7 wheels. If you need the TuV specific for your vehicle rc design and brock has a few wheels in 16" for the 2017 civic hatch 1.0

OP
OP

thetracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic FK6 1.0T
Country flag
Thanks, I looked them up but I did not find a really light wheel in their offer. I'll keep searching then.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You can also try motec wheels ,they have lightweight Wheels and are a German manufacturer so they might have tuv also.

OP
OP

thetracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic FK6 1.0T
Country flag
Thanks again, while they only go as low as 17 inches, their Ultralight wheel seems very interesting, only 7.something kilograms! Looks good too! Because I have the sonic grey colour, I am kind of restricted to black wheels :/

PS. Do you feel any difference with ET40 instead of ET45? I found some Japan Racing Wheel with ET35 but I am afraid I might ruin the handling.

Civic_EU

First Name
Matus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB Sport, Volvo 940, couple of e36 BMW
Country flag
There is no effect on handling when you change ET with such small difference….

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks again, while they only go as low as 17 inches, their Ultralight wheel seems very interesting, only 7.something kilograms! Looks good too! Because I have the sonic grey colour, I am kind of restricted to black wheels :/

PS. Do you feel any difference with ET40 instead of ET45? I found some Japan Racing Wheel with ET35 but I am afraid I might ruin the handling.
The motec Nitro goes as low as 15" .
They are available in 16x7,5" and are really lightweight.Going from et 45 up to et 35 is going to feel much different.

Civic_EU

First Name
Matus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB Sport, Volvo 940, couple of e36 BMW
Country flag
yeah sure gona feel that 20mm difference :D been changing rims as wide as 9.5J in front and 10J in the back with ET low as 8 to stock to wide again, semislicks up front with drift tires in back to grip tires on all 4 corners, and the diffrence was noticeable in a analog car with huge ass diffrence in rubber quality and width but you are talking about diffrence in handling is noticeable just becouse you add basicly 1cm spacer on each side in this modern (stock) car with pretty much minimum feedback...not saying that you are wrong in increased trackwith but chances of noticing it in a Civic on public roads are miniscule…

Last edited:

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
You're not gonna feel any significant difference between ET35 and ET45. especially not in the 1L Civic.

OP, maybe look into some OEM wheels from Hybrid vehicles. I know the ones from the older Prius weigh almost nothing, though the PCD is different. The older 8th gen Civic Hybrid came with some pretty lightweight rims made by Enkei too. You could look at the options for the CR-Z, Stream etc and see if there's anything lightweight that you like the look of.

I'd look into narrower wheels too. Most aftermarket options will be wider than original steelies but if you get something similar to the steelie width then you'll be saving a chunk of weight there too.

OP
OP

thetracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic FK6 1.0T
Country flag
Thanks, I will research into those hybrid car wheels. I cannot do narrower wheel because it looks kinda weird with the 215 tire :)

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7,RW2,RD1,RD5,RE5,RU1,FK1,FN2,EP3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
JR seem to be decent. I have been running JR28 19" but I do have large sidewalls (235/55) so they are protected by the tires. You can also look into 2015+ HR-V wheels, OEM are 16" and could be lighter than the ones which you currently have

Last edited:

David228cx

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Red Honda Civic Sport (EU)
Country flag
I think 16 inch for this civic is... too small.

JUst get a set of lightweight aftermarket wheels.

I use 2forge zf1: 8,6 Kg compared to the stock Honda that weight 11,6Kg.

That's 12Kg of unsprung mass saved and you can definitely notice.

ivanCivix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 10th gen 1.5 sport
Country flag
I think 16 inch for this civic is... too small.

JUst get a set of lightweight aftermarket wheels.

I use 2forge zf1: 8,6 Kg compared to the stock Honda that weight 11,6Kg.

That's 12Kg of unsprung mass saved and you can definitely notice.
17 or 18?
Does the car feel more agile and nimble?
Sponsored