First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
First post here!!! Loving the community!

Just and FYI I have a 2019 Civic EX, and I honestly wanted a CRV at first but I didn’t really think my first car through. Well, I’m financially bound to this car for 8 years and I want to enjoy it as much as possible!

Since I live in a snowy area, I’d love to raise my car. I’ve only seen Two out of state Civics and I have not been able to see them again and ask how they did it. Anyone have any idea what I could do whether it’s a lift kit or new springs? Bigger tires (Prolly not..) Anyone here do it?
Sponsored

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
only thing i would recommend is to pick up a set of 16 inch wheels and beefier tires, far as what size i couldn't tell you, i know alot of people here do swap out their low profile tires for winter tires. did u finance it for 8 years? if you did you woulda been far better off buying a 2-3 year old used one, anything over 60 months will kill you on interest rates, unless its like 72 months 0%, then by all means take the 0%

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Just and FYI I have a 2019 Civic EX, and I honestly wanted a CRV at first but I didn’t really think my first car through. Well, I’m financially bound to this car for 8 years and I want to enjoy it as much as possible!

Since I live in a snowy area, I’d love to raise my car. I’ve only seen Two out of state Civics and I have not been able to see them again and ask how they did it. Anyone have any idea what I could do whether it’s a lift kit or new springs? Bigger tires (Prolly not..) Anyone here do it?
Back in the day... you could swap Civic springs over into a CRV to lower them. I would assume the same is true. If you were to ask here and on a CRV forum... you might be able to determine the difference in the uncompressed height of each (folks are likely to have a stock set lying around they can measure) to verify you'll gain some height with the swap. You may run into the stock dampers being barely compressed and need to do both.

I'd prefer get taller tires myself and add an inch or two and compensate for how your speedometer would be off or use your phones GPS in a mount for speed. That way you could have a set of dedicated taller snow tires to have better traction and gain a little height in the process. 1-2 inches is probably as far as you could get though. When I had an RSX in upstate NY... I had a set of 16s with tires decent in the snow for the winter and 18s with summer tires for the rest of the year. I did not get overly tall tires though... the circumference of each of the 16" vs 18" tires were about the same.

OP
OP
jdlc1400

jdlc1400

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
8 year car loan? Ouch.

You can always trade in for another car, you have options while holding a car lein/loan.
Yeahhhhh lets just say as my first car, with very young credit, I’m blessed to at least get a good deal/even get accepted for a loan on it.

I would trade it but I want to make the most out if it!

OP
OP
jdlc1400

jdlc1400

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
only thing i would recommend is to pick up a set of 16 inch wheels and beefier tires, far as what size i couldn't tell you, i know alot of people here do swap out their low profile tires for winter tires. did u finance it for 8 years? if you did you woulda been far better off buying a 2-3 year old used one, anything over 60 months will kill you on interest rates, unless its like 72 months 0%, then by all means take the 0%
Very low APR, I think 2.8%, but I’m def paying it off in 4-5 years!

I’ll hit up my nearby tire shop and see what they suggest!

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
"good deal" - i severely doubt it man, your getting screwed, credit takes time to build up, a cosigner could have been better, usually family member is willing to help with that. my pickup i bought, my dad was the "buyer" and i cosigned for it, but 6 months into the loan we refinanced him off of the loan for me to be the buyer, intrest rate went up, but it helped build my credit - On another note, those extra 2 years equates to about 1,000 extra dollars from 2300 - 3300 for about a 20,000 dollar loan.

OP
OP
jdlc1400

jdlc1400

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Back in the day... you could swap Civic springs over into a CRV to lower them. I would assume the same is true. If you were to ask here and on a CRV forum... you might be able to determine the difference in the uncompressed height of each (folks are likely to have a stock set lying around they can measure) to verify you'll gain some height with the swap. You may run into the stock dampers being barely compressed and need to do both.

I'd prefer get taller tires myself and add an inch or two and compensate for how your speedometer would be off or use your phones GPS in a mount for speed. That way you could have a set of dedicated taller snow tires to have better traction and gain a little height in the process. 1-2 inches is probably as far as you could get though. When I had an RSX in upstate NY... I had a set of 16s with tires decent in the snow for the winter and 18s with summer tires for the rest of the year. I did not get overly tall tires though... the circumference of each of the 16" vs 18" tires were about the same.
Seems like this is the most popular/reliable route. THANK YOU!

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Seems like this is the most popular/reliable route. THANK YOU!
Don't be afraid to check the used market. When I got my tires for the winter... I got them already mounted on some rims off a older Prelude that had a couple season on them and had several left. I think I spent something like $150 or 200 for the rims and tires. When people leave the salt belt... they rarely take their snow tires/rims with them.

OP
OP
jdlc1400

jdlc1400

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
"good deal" - i severely doubt it man, your getting screwed, credit takes time to build up, a cosigner could have been better, usually family member is willing to help with that. my pickup i bought, my dad was the "buyer" and i cosigned for it, but 6 months into the loan we refinanced him off of the loan for me to be the buyer, intrest rate went up, but it helped build my credit - On another note, those extra 2 years equates to about 1,000 extra dollars from 2300 - 3300 for about a 20,000 dollar loan.
You’re 1000% right, Like I said I kind of got too excited for my first car so I didn’t get the best deal(not to mention i STUPIDLY bought it new). I only pay 350$ a month (which I pay an ADDITIONAL 300 towards the principal) which as already lowered my interest significantly. Making the best out of a not so great situation. The “good part” of the deal is that the dealership waived all “bs fees” and gave me 4k off the MSRP of a NEW car over small inconsistencies and since my parents were getting a car too. Not to mention this was a 0 down deal.

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
alright thats not all THAT bad then.. paying that extra every month will certainly bring the total owed down significantly, decent intrest rate too so its not that bad. the 0 down kinda hurts you a bit as you financed more overall.. but more cash for cushion fund, and amung the pandemic that extra cash could come in handy..

On another note, your story reminded me of a former co worker i worked with.. bought a 2016-17 Ford focus SE - it also was his first car, bought it new as its the only car the dealership woulda let him buy in the first place.. ended up paying something like 8-12% intrest, on a 84 month loan cause he didnt have credit.. on top of that, he bought 2 additional "extended warranties" worth 4,000 each.. his payment was around 480-500 dollars a month of that car that was only worth 20,000. on top of that i know he missed a few payments very early in the loan, and once or twice while i was working with him the 6-7 months he was there. 2017-2018 he still owed over 24,000 dollars on it after owning it for around 3 years - been through at least 2 transmissions, ( fords duel clutch automatic garbage ) less than 40,000 miles on it.

blinkz0rz

First Name
Jrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FC1 Civic Si, 1997 Dodge Dakota, 1972 Plymouth Roadrunner 440, 2010 JKU Jeep Wrangler
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You’re 1000% right, Like I said I kind of got too excited for my first car so I didn’t get the best deal(not to mention i STUPIDLY bought it new). I only pay 350$ a month (which I pay an ADDITIONAL 300 towards the principal) which as already lowered my interest significantly. Making the best out of a not so great situation. The “good part” of the deal is that the dealership waived all “bs fees” and gave me 4k off the MSRP of a NEW car over small inconsistencies and since my parents were getting a car too. Not to mention this was a 0 down deal.
If you are paying almost double the monthly fee, yeah you will have it paid off in 4 years roughly. You aren't legally contracted to the 8 year loan when the contractual amount is fully paid off, making the car fully yours. That's the beauty of paying additional principle, less time and lower interest paid overall.

OP
OP
jdlc1400

jdlc1400

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
alright thats not all THAT bad then.. paying that extra every month will certainly bring the total owed down significantly, decent intrest rate too so its not that bad. the 0 down kinda hurts you a bit as you financed more overall.. but more cash for cushion fund, and amung the pandemic that extra cash could come in handy..

On another note, your story reminded me of a former co worker i worked with.. bought a 2016-17 Ford focus SE - it also was his first car, bought it new as its the only car the dealership woulda let him buy in the first place.. ended up paying something like 8-12% intrest, on a 84 month loan cause he didnt have credit.. on top of that, he bought 2 additional "extended warranties" worth 4,000 each.. his payment was around 480-500 dollars a month of that car that was only worth 20,000. on top of that i know he missed a few payments very early in the loan, and once or twice while i was working with him the 6-7 months he was there. 2017-2018 he still owed over 24,000 dollars on it after owning it for around 3 years - been through at least 2 transmissions, ( fords duel clutch automatic garbage ) less than 40,000 miles on it.
Geeeeeeeeeeeeeez

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
Drove my hatch through 2 canadian winters and the only time I got stuck was with the stock A/S tires in 6" of snow. Once I put decent winters I haven't even come close to getting stuck. This car is pretty good in winter with the proper tires. I got 215/65/16 as stock replacement, Toyo Observe GSI 6 and they are amazing in everything, even driving in temps over freezing for a while they haven't worn too much and I drove about 3000 km/mo on them.

I don't think you need to go higher but use the size above to get bigger, might be hard to find though and it will def put a dent in your fuel mileage.

dktyson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Since everyone was focused on the car loan ... here ya go, 3 years late.

https://www.hrgengineering.com/product-page/1-5-inch-38mm-lift-kit-for-2016-2021-civic
Sponsored