First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Hey folks,

I live in an area with a solid amount of rain and infrequent flooding. I have a 2020 sport hatchback (cvt) as my DD. For the moment, im buying two mods for my car— a PRL intake and a Ktuner with phearable 1.5R.

Im leery of the CAI due to hydrolock, but I hear the SRI is susceptible to heatsoak. My problem is, I can’t find any actual empirical experiences or numbers to explain what that feels like on these 10th gens.

What I’m looking to find out is, how bad would the heatsoak be, and how noticeable? And what would I have to do to cause it?

My summers here can get into the 90s, my winters sometimes below 0, so there’s a lot of temperature fluctuation. I very infrequently give my car hard pulls— I usually just drive a 25 mile commute twice a day, barely any traffic, and stay home the rest of the night. I just want the intake for those times that I do pull it.

I’m partial to the SRI, but don’t want to screw my performance or gas mileage, so advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
The SRI will give you great sound but honestly VERY little in the way of power gains. Maybe a bit better throttle response. And it will heat soak as bad or worse than the stock airbox although you said you rarely are in stop and go. I think Hondata did a study that showed that.

Personally, if I was afraid of hydrolock (although very rare) and a CAI was out, I'd just do a PRL silicone intake hose/aFe or AEM drop-in and call it a day. That's what I run with a Phearable 1.5R and that setup is a huge difference over stock.

Or even better, get a CAI. :cool:

OP
OP

ProxyMarine

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The SRI will give you great sound but honestly VERY little in the way of power gains. Maybe a bit better throttle response. And it will heat soak as bad or worse than the stock airbox although you said you rarely are in stop and go. I think Hondata did a study that showed that.

Personally, if I was afraid of hydrolock (although very rare) and a CAI was out, I'd just do a PRL silicone intake hose/aFe or AEM drop-in and call it a day. That's what I run with a Phearable 1.5R and that setup is a huge difference over stock.

Or even better, get a CAI. :cool:
I appreciate the input! I’ve got the tuner and I just got a full set of DWS06+ to cover my performance and my handling, so I’m really just looking to wake up the sound a bit for sure. What I’m trying to find is how bad the heatsoak actually impacts performance with an SRI. Like you said, in theory and on paper it’s absolutely real, but I can’t find almost anyone who can quantify it for me in a way that I know “ah, I’ll experience x, y, z”.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I know this is Type R, but watch it carefully.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I did a great amount of testing with a different SRI here

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/bms-intake.38171/

I found it still cooled better than stock, but isn't as close to ambient air as a good CAI.

Adding the 27one TIP created a huge heat sink in my engine bay and lead to my switch to CAI

Hydrolock is a potential hazard. I've hit a large bit of water in a deluge that got my filter wet and required me to limp mode until I could get to a gas station and dry out for a minute before staying out of boost on the way home. I'm still running the PRL cobra 🙃

@Myx has done extensive track experimenting with SRI and found an optimal setup with ram air feeding a SRI cool air

Last edited:

OP
OP

ProxyMarine

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

I found it still cooled better than stock, but isn't as close to ambient air as a good CAI.

Adding the 27one TIP created a huge heat sink in my engine bay and lead to my switch to CAI

Hydrolock is a potential hazard. I've hit a large bit of water in a deluge that got my filter wet and required me to limp mode until I could get to a gas station and dry out for a minute before staying out of boost on the way home. I'm still running the PRL cobra 🙃

@Myx has done extensive track experimenting with SRI and found an optimal setup with ram air feeding a SRI cool air
Thanks a ton for your reply. Very useful information. It sounds like going with the SRI, I won’t notice any negative effects just based on my driving style (grandma because I’m obsessed with my fuel efficiency). Especially considering I’m only installing this and using a tuner (for now) which won’t be generating any noteworthy additional heat like your TIP did. If I decide to do any other bolt-ons in my engine bay, my first mod would be an intercooler. If my heat generated is too much at that point, I’ll grab the PRL conversion kit and turn it into a CAI. Unlikely though since I’m planning to buy an FG2 to mod for my performance car.

OP
OP

ProxyMarine

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Very interesting watch, thanks for posting that for me!

SilkyMittsSI

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Sierra 2500HD Dmax, ‘19 Civic SI, ‘14 Civic LX
Country flag
I’m in the same boat, been looking at the PRL sri for a while but can’t figure out how noticeable or safe it is to run it, with it getting heat soaked.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
As far as "safe" regarding heat soak maybe you're not understanding it. An SRI isn't "unsafe", it's just that it isn't as good of an improvement over stock compared to a CAI (excluding the sound). Heat soak itself generally happens at idle in city stop and go or if you've been pushing it hard especially in warm temps. You aren't damaging your engine, just reducing it's power potential until things cool back down under hood.

Haven't you ever noticed on a hot summer day how your car feels a bit more sluggish? It's kind of like that.

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Let me offer you guys another intake idea, if you're nervous about potential CAI hydrolock. Have you considered a 27Won intake? Not only will it heat soak less than a traditional SRI, you have no water concerns because the filter is up high in that box. Looks amazing under the hood too.

Honda Civic 10th gen LF PRL SRI Heatsoak Experiences ah4cvskdxn471

OP
OP

ProxyMarine

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I’m in the same boat, been looking at the PRL sri for a while but can’t figure out how noticeable or safe it is to run it, with it getting heat soaked.
It’s certainly not unsafe. Your car will just run sluggish until it cools down. If you’re tech savvy, Think of it like a modern desktop processor that gets too hot— its speeds automatically drop until it’s below a certain temperature threshold, and then it picks back up. I’m moreso just interested in how noticeable the slowdown really is. Which has been tough to find. But hearing that it’s close to stock helps my perspective quite a bit.

OP
OP

ProxyMarine

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Let me offer you guys another intake idea, if you're nervous about potential CAI hydrolock. Have you considered a 27Won intake? Not only will it heat soak less than a traditional SRI, you have no water concerns because the filter is up high in that box. Looks amazing under the hood too.

ah4cvskdxn471.jpg
Thanks for the recommendation. I’ve looked into the 27WON, and while it might be super ricer of me, I’m just not a fan of how muted it tends to sound compared to the PRL.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If I decide to do any other bolt-ons in my engine bay, my first mod would be an intercooler.
This was the same path I took

Tune --> free flowing filter ---> SRI ----> intercooler

From there I kept going down the rabbit hole 😵💫

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the recommendation. I’ve looked into the 27WON, and while it might be super ricer of me, I’m just not a fan of how muted it tends to sound compared to the PRL.
Hey man, I get it. In my younger days, I did some SRIs (both pro and homemade lol). With my Civic though, I'm more into the sleeper thing. Looks ands sounds mild mannered but takes off like a scalded cat when needed.

OP
OP

ProxyMarine

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This was the same path I took

Tune --> free flowing filter ---> SRI ----> intercooler

From there I kept going down the rabbit hole 😵💫
With the restrictions of the CVT, I just feel like my money is better spent on a different car y’know. Which sucks, as genx is my favorite civic, but I didn’t know the sport’s limits when I bought it.
And tbh, as much as I love the sound of American muscle and bolted 4-bangers alike, I think that it could get annoying on a daily driver. My commute is at 6:20am so everybody would hate me 😂
Plus, a built K20z3 engine? VTEC crossovers just hit different. Then to add a turbo 🤤
Sponsored

Last edited: