Let's talk knock 1.5 ext

simon_lefisch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I'd say no. There are people that have removed it simply to make the intake sound louder. There's some debate as to whether or not it makes the airflow more turbulent, hurting velocity and therefore actually reducing power... but there are threads involving people removing it and driving it as such.
your mpgs going down could definitely be related to bad fuel trims from the intake. It could also be you are in the gas more to hear the intake or take advantage of your new found cold air
I’m prob going to put it back in this weekend, but don’t want to put that resonator since I’ll have to take it out once a get the PRL intake since it was a PITA to get out in the first place. I looked under the hood to see but couldn’t really tell.

I will say that I haven’t had a lot of knock. Maybe one or 2 and k control had been pretty good. About 0.59-ish.
Sponsored

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m prob going to put it back in this weekend, but don’t want to put that resonator since I’ll have to take it out once a get the PRL intake since it was a PITA to get out in the first place. I looked under the hood to see but couldn’t really tell.

I will say that I haven’t had a lot of knock. Maybe one or 2 and k control had been pretty good. About 0.59-ish.
youll be fine without the box. your k control wont really move if the fuel is good (91,93 octane), even if your trims are out of whack. Itll just run rich

KramVT0215

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe, 2008 Acura TL
Country flag
Not trying to flame anyone, but this is exactly why when people ask "Is the PRL really worth the $400, I can get XXX brand for 1/2" I tell them yes it absolutely is. If the shape or size of the MAF housing changes at all, its an issue. The PRL is proven by multiple users to be spot on with fuel trims with no tuning at all, on every car that has looked at it. I have a crappy sri too, the AF Dynamic to be exact, it was around 10-12% off but I got it custom tuned nearly immediately so it never became an issue. So if you aren't tuning or don't know how to mess with the trims, some of these intakes out right now will absolutely mess up your trims which can lead to bigger issues.
This! I've got the PRL CAI and on the ktuner 19.5/23psi map my short fuel trims are spot on 1-2% drives like a dream. I was custom tuned by Vit too at around 25-26pis but stock clutch didn't like that lol FX350 is going in next month.

simon_lefisch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
youll be fine without the box. your k control wont really move if the fuel is good (91,93 octane), even if your trims are out of whack. Itll just run rich
Yea I use nothing but 91. Not really trying to race it but I do like to do some spirited driving.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
Not sure if this has been put on here, haven’t seen it yet. Another one. Quote of the video “ don’t go past 26psi.”

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag
Not sure if this has been put on here, haven’t seen it yet. Another one. Quote of the video “ don’t go past 26psi.”

That's a bent connecting rod, just like Sgtstaadanko... The hollow sound's frequency is too high to be a valve, as the valvetrain rotates at half the speed of the crankshaft.

250GTCalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
His car lasted 11 months. From the description he was using a Hondata +6 Mishimoto custom tune?

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is this posted here anywhere or just the Youtube video

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd like to know more about circumstances and the setup that he was running. Based on the 11 month old video on his channel the last dyno he had posted had him "only" putting down 200 lbs/ft at the wheel ("only" ~25% over his baseline). Presumably he had gone beyond that. I know we are dealing with small samples and a lot of missing info, but it is a bit disheartening. Sure would like to know how/if the Si rods are any different ...

250GTCalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I'd like to know more about circumstances and the setup that he was running. Based on the 11 month old video on his channel the last dyno he had posted had him "only" putting down 200 lbs/ft at the wheel ("only" ~25% over his baseline). Presumably he had gone beyond that. I know we are dealing with small samples and a lot of missing info, but it is a bit disheartening. Sure would like to know how/if the Si rods are any different ...
I would be very interested in the first Si that runs into this issue. I don't think we've had one yet.

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
I would be very interested in the first Si that runs into this issue. I don't think we've had one yet.
I've been trying to break ours with 28PSI daily, but no go so far.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

So the guy responded to my comment, Ill post it here

Honda Civic 10th gen Let's talk knock 1.5 ext upload_2018-1-26_9-14-26

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
His comment is misleading. Once the rods exceed their max tolerance, they can slowly succumb to increased deformation over time. In other communities, we'd see a lot of blown motors while owners were cruising at highway speeds. The damage was already done; the motor was simply a time bomb waiting to go off.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
His comment is misleading. Once the rods exceed their max tolerance, they can slowly succumb to increased deformation over time. In other communities, we'd see a lot of blown motors while owners were cruising at highway speeds. The damage was already done; the motor was simply a time bomb waiting to go off.
you talking about him saying he miss shifted and thought it should blow up right away? If so, yeah, a missed shift could hide for days/weeks/months then Kablooey
Sponsored