Let's talk knock 1.5 ext

Jamroxorz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ve had to get 2 fouled spark plugs replaced after my Injen SRI messed up my S.Trim causing misfires and limp mode. Running a +9 base flashpro tune with my AFM adjusted to make my S.Trims nice - plus got rid of the Injen SRI and switched PRL Stage 1. It’s been running smooth like butter since, hopefully stays that way.
Sponsored

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR - 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
How could you tell your spark plugs were bad. What did the SRI do exactly to it. Like what did your s trim show in terms of value.

I’ve had to get 2 fouled spark plugs replaced after my Injen SRI messed up my S.Trim causing misfires and limp mode. Running a +9 base flashpro tune with my AFM adjusted to make my S.Trims nice - plus got rid of the Injen SRI and switched PRL Stage 1. It’s been running smooth like butter since, hopefully stays that way.

Jamroxorz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How could you tell your spark plugs were bad. What did the SRI do exactly to it. Like what did your s trim show in terms of value.
Crazy high s.trim in the 15’s. Misfires and limp mode on WOT. Had the AFM adjusted to normal, but I think the damage was done and led to failure. Eventually my engine misfired at low load - CEL came on. Super rough idle, and limp mode constantly. Took it to Honda, they replaced 2 fouled spark plugs.

Cscott_xGen

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Crazy high s.trim in the 15’s. Misfires and limp mode on WOT. Had the AFM adjusted to normal, but I think the damage was done and led to failure. Eventually my engine misfired at low load - CEL came on. Super rough idle, and limp mode constantly. Took it to Honda, they replaced 2 fouled spark plugs.

So your fuel trims were off. Did you mess with any calibrations before the plugs went bad? What Fuel are you running?

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When the injen throws your trims off, its because it thinks more air is coming in and its not, but its still adding the fuel. When you add fuel and not air you run rich. When you run rich you foul plugs, when you foul plugs you cause misfires and check engine lights. Jamroxorz issue is not bad fuel. Multiple people have reported terrible fuel trims with the injen intakes on the ext and even worse on the SI.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So your fuel trims were off. Did you mess with any calibrations before the plugs went bad? What Fuel are you running?
Also, people have been told on this forum, that if they are running the injen with the hondata base cal for the injen, and their trims are off, to switch back to the base tune not for the injen.

Jamroxorz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Also, people have been told on this forum, that if they are running the injen with the hondata base cal for the injen, and their trims are off, to switch back to the base tune not for the injen.
Yeah I believe this was due to my issue, but not 100% sure if I was the first or only. Sucks there are so many variables with installing certain intakes and how it would effect your AFM. Definitely worth looking into how to tune AFM, it’s not a very complicated process.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah I believe this was due to my issue, but not 100% sure if I was the first or only. Sucks there are so many variables with installing certain intakes and how it would effect your AFM. Definitely worth looking into how to tune AFM, it’s not a very complicated process.
Not trying to flame anyone, but this is exactly why when people ask "Is the PRL really worth the $400, I can get XXX brand for 1/2" I tell them yes it absolutely is. If the shape or size of the MAF housing changes at all, its an issue. The PRL is proven by multiple users to be spot on with fuel trims with no tuning at all, on every car that has looked at it. I have a crappy sri too, the AF Dynamic to be exact, it was around 10-12% off but I got it custom tuned nearly immediately so it never became an issue. So if you aren't tuning or don't know how to mess with the trims, some of these intakes out right now will absolutely mess up your trims which can lead to bigger issues.

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So I had the injen CAI for about a month before I got my PRL cai. One time with the injen installed I got a lot of black smoke on startup and car almost died on me when trying to drive. Did it mess with my plugs any? How can I tell. It was obviously running too rich.

I haven’t had any issues with my PRL. What should I be looking for as far as numbers on my short and long term trims.

Not trying to flame anyone, but this is exactly why when people ask "Is the PRL really worth the $400, I can get XXX brand for 1/2" I tell them yes it absolutely is. If the shape or size of the MAF housing changes at all, its an issue. The PRL is proven by multiple users to be spot on with fuel trims with no tuning at all, on every car that has looked at it. I have a crappy sri too, the AF Dynamic to be exact, it was around 10-12% off but I got it custom tuned nearly immediately so it never became an issue. So if you aren't tuning or don't know how to mess with the trims, some of these intakes out right now will absolutely mess up your trims which can lead to bigger issues.

Jamroxorz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I had the injen CAI for about a month before I got my PRL cai. One time with the injen installed I got a lot of black smoke on startup and car almost died on me when trying to drive. Did it mess with my plugs any? How can I tell. It was obviously running too rich.

I haven’t had any issues with my PRL. What should I be looking for as far as numbers on my short and long term trims.
It’s possible you might have a bit of build up starting on the plugs, but wouldn’t really know if they’ve been effected unless they are checked.

As for the fuel trims, generally you want to stay as close to 0 as possible, but no more than -/+ 10 between short and long combined. Best way to check this is to run a datalog at normal engine operating temps, at regular driving for about 5-10 mins and then checking a graph for mean s.trim over different AFM sensor voltages.

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Are the plugs easy to check on here? There’s some things I can do and others I’ve never done lol. Spark plugs are not my specialty.

It’s possible you might have a bit of build up starting on the plugs, but wouldn’t really know if they’ve been effected unless they are checked.

As for the fuel trims, generally you want to stay as close to 0 as possible, but no more than -/+ 10 between short and long combined. Best way to check this is to run a datalog at normal engine operating temps, at regular driving for about 5-10 mins and then checking a graph for mean s.trim over different AFM sensor voltages.

ElementalHonda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe, 2010 Accord Crosstour, 2008 Civic LX Coupe(Totaled), 2005 Acura TL(Sold), 1996 Accord EX Coupe
Country flag
Oh wow great information here guys. I just installed a CAI, if its messing with my fuel I should probably find out. "s.trim" is what I should be looking at? As close to 0 as possible?

simon_lefisch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I've had an Injen CAI for a couple months and all I've seen is MPG go down. I am going to switch back to the stock intake tho til I get the PRL CAI.

Off topic question tho, do I need to have the intake resonator installed for the intake to be functional? I assume yes as it looks like it supports the intake box.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've had an Injen CAI for a couple months and all I've seen is MPG go down. I am going to switch back to the stock intake tho til I get the PRL CAI.

Off topic question tho, do I need to have the intake resonator installed for the intake to be functional? I assume yes as it looks like it supports the intake box.
I'd say no. There are people that have removed it simply to make the intake sound louder. There's some debate as to whether or not it makes the airflow more turbulent, hurting velocity and therefore actually reducing power... but there are threads involving people removing it and driving it as such.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

your mpgs going down could definitely be related to bad fuel trims from the intake. It could also be you are in the gas more to hear the intake or take advantage of your new found cold air
Sponsored