Let's talk knock 1.5 ext

andyboyd102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Well then it's probably your upper lip..... I'm just trying to see if others have this issue as well. What's fishy anyways in your opinion are you stating that I'm making false claims about my experience with my car?

It all started when my engine started to misfire took it to a reputable tuner shop in my County and they fixed the problem. My plugs were fouled quite bad actually. I went on my way soon after I noticed this spudder when I'd let off the gas. It'd come and go so I thought nothing of it. Well my car eventually went it to limp mode and it all went down hill from there. Honestly man I think it was a lemon but I'm curious on how many people have experienced this as well.
Please list the tuner that you used along with the cold air intake and other mods that you have installed please. I noticed you only mentioned one name in your post but didn't mention any other names or manufacturers.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
All I was questioning was the first post was asking members about knock in general. A very common topic here so I clicked on the topic cause it interested me. Then in the next post I'm reading about a blown engine and a Ktuner base tune. It seems that talking about the blown engine should have been the topic, just saying. No matter what I am sorry your engine blew. That sucks.

Like dallas said though, if you had a local tuner adjust things it would be interesting to find out what changes he made to the basemap.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes engine blew. Was running ktuner tune with 91 octane on base map stage 2 mt only 8k miles on it.

My car could have been a lemon who knows just trying to see if others have experienced the same. Mods installed is cold air intake and catback.
You were asking about the +9 last month so was your engine already acting up then or did you get your tuner after that and blew it up under a month?

andyboyd102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
All I was questioning was the first post was asking members about knock in general. A very common topic here so I clicked on the topic cause it interested me. Then in the next post I'm reading about a blown engine and a Ktuner base tune. It seems that talking about the blown engine should have been the topic, just saying. No matter what I am sorry your engine blew. That sucks.

Like dallas said though, if you had a local tuner adjust things it would be interesting to find out what changes he made to the basemap.
Yeah I'm like you, if you had a toner adjust things then you're no longer running a KTuner base map. At that point you put your car in someone else's hands. I would like clarification also.

indexcow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX (Crystal Black)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wanted to make a thread on how many people here are experiencing knock, misfire, or any weird issues with their cars. People who are tuned have boltons or both are the ones I want to hear from the most, so feel free to post or comment on this thread!! Thanks guys!!!
@Solidus_turbo You say the engine knocked and blew at 8k and @VitViper Says that rod knock is caused by lack of lubrication; how many times have you changed the oil? There are a lot of factors that could have caused this but for the record, there are many other Civics that are properly running setups like yours and haven't reported any issue.

D-RobIMW

www.imwtuned.com
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2001 Integra Type R, 2019 RDX A-Spec
Country flag
These engines are built in the U.S.; I wouldn't put it past some guy named Jim or Tom not paying attention and sticking the wrong bearing half into a rod on assembly before his state-mandated 15 minute smoke break.

If you have "rod knock," it's not tune related. It's lack of lubrication (not necessarily oil level). Either the clearance was too tight on the journal, the oil pump has failed, the oil was contaminated with too much fuel, etc.

Did you happen to have an aftermarket intake on the car, or a VTA blow off valve installed for any period of time?

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I do think this is something worth monitoring in the community. And I think the OP's responses have been fair in not blaming the tune or anything else as to what may have happened (we're tracking one running Hondata as well).

Also to be fair, rod knock is not always tied to a lubrication issue. It can also stem from a spun bearing or rod deformation under high midrange load. The latter which has always concerned me with a small dsiplacement motor like the 1.5. You can read below on the symptoms that plagued the rods in the MS3's turbo DI powertrain.
http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f10/real-reason-people-breaking-rods-33010/

Again, not reaching or making a correlation; just stating that this is worth tracking in our community for better understanding.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I do think this is something worth monitoring in the community. And I think the OP's responses have been fair in not blaming the tune or anything else as to what may have happened (we're tracking one running Hondata as well).

Also to be fair, rod knock is not always tied to a lubrication issue. It can also stem from a spun bearing or rod deformation under high midrange load. The latter which has always concerned me with a small dsiplacement motor like the 1.5. You can read below on the symptoms that plagued the rods in the MS3's turbo DI powertrain.
http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f10/real-reason-people-breaking-rods-33010/

Again, not reaching or making a correlation; just stating that this is worth tracking in our community for better understanding.
That is a great thread there. A lot of good info.

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag
Yes, engine knock due to connecting rod deformation.

Bent connecting rod. They're trying to claim hydrolock. It's been below zero for over a month, there's literally no liquid water that I could have picked up, not to mention I never had a CAI installed. I've talked to Honda Customer Relations, they need me and the service manager on the phone together, but the service manager is off for the rest of the week... This may be a longer process than I thought.
https://www.civicx.com/threads/well-im-knocking.20266/

akrachanko

First Name
Aleks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.krachanko.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T 6MT
Country flag
Not to derail the existing conversation, but I'd like to address OPs original question with my situation. So I have a 2017 EX-T Sedan with the 6 speed manual, and no bolts-ons at all. I flashed it with Flashpro up to a +9 PSI base map early on to see what it was capable of. I didn't have any issues with knock. Hondata's base map tunes, in my experience, have excellent knock control. I have since backed down to a +6 PSI base map to extend the life of my clutch a bit further. Based on this thread, not everyone is having a smooth an experience as me, but I hope my input helps!

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I don't think the base maps modify the factory KR. They simply modify boost control. Perhaps the others can chime in and confirm.

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
I don't think the base maps modify the factory KR. They simply modify boost control. Perhaps the others can chime in and confirm.
KTuner leaves factory knock control in place.

Cscott_xGen

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Yes engine blew. Was running ktuner tune with 91 octane on base map stage 2 mt only 8k miles on it.

My car could have been a lemon who knows just trying to see if others have experienced the same. Mods installed is cold air intake and catback.

What boost levels were you running was this just a ex-t?

BubbzWasHere

First Name
Kaleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport 6mt
Country flag
I think @Solidus_turbo needs to come back and explain the situation better. From his earlier post, I gather that he took it to a TUNER shop(read, import) and they changed the fouled plugs out. It doesn't seem to me like he was saying they messed with the tune. But like I said, he needs to come back and explain better. And a diagnosis from a dealer or shop would be nice to see what actually happened to his engine.
Sponsored