CincyTypeR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #0426. 2014 Accord Coupe V6
Country flag
Besides not knowing how much the stock clutch can handle we really don't know how much the transmission can handle. So with that in mind wouldn't it be better to have a clutch that will breakdown/fail before causing harm to the transmission?

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
Besides not knowing how much the stock clutch can handle we really don't know how much the transmission can handle. So with that in mind wouldn't it be better to have a clutch that will breakdown/fail before causing harm to the transmission?
Transmission is more likely to fail due to bad shifting or synchros than too much power.

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
Puck clutches can bust your diff or your transmission from clamping so hard abruptly.

JLOracing

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type-R Time Attack, 2007 Honda Fit Sport Time Attack, 2009 Honda Fit Sport Time Attack, 2009 Honda fit Sport World Challenge TCB, 2012 Honda Fit Sport daily, 1996 Honda Civic Coupe endurance road race, 1999 Honda Civic Hatchback rallycross, 1971 Datsun 510 Coupe project track car
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Puck clutches can bust your diff or your transmission from clamping so hard abruptly.
This is false and a loaded statement. There are a lot of variables at play and in the past I have done hard launches at 400whp on stock type-r LSD and stock level axles with slicks using an unsprung disc with no damage.

As for the torque capacity of the stock clutch. While SPEC was using my car for development, they measured the clamping force of the stock pressure plate, and calculated it with the disc size and material and say it should be rated for around 340ft lbs......again, lots of variables will cause clutch failure or a clutch to survive in a harsher environment than rated for.

I currently have the SPEC Stage 3 puck clutch for lighter weight as well as quicker more instant shifts on track.....road course, not drag strip.

CincyTypeR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #0426. 2014 Accord Coupe V6
Country flag
This is false and a loaded statement. There are a lot of variables at play and in the past I have done hard launches at 400whp on stock type-r LSD and stock level axles with slicks using an unsprung disc with no damage.

As for the torque capacity of the stock clutch. While SPEC was using my car for development, they measured the clamping force of the stock pressure plate, and calculated it with the disc size and material and say it should be rated for around 340ft lbs......again, lots of variables will cause clutch failure or a clutch to survive in a harsher environment than rated for.

I currently have the SPEC Stage 3 puck clutch for lighter weight as well as quicker more instant shifts on track.....road course, not drag strip.
How does the Stage 3 feels compared to stock?

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
That’s why I said “can” and not “will.” I respect your extensive real-world racing knowledge but I’ve also been following the aftermarket scene for almost 20 years. Back in my ITR days, puck clutches did break Honda transmissions and differentials here and there. Things may be better now with more modern designs but it did happen and buyers should still beware.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-type-r-8/nasty-damage-clutch-must-read-you-guys-191866/

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
to though who's clutches have started to slip. did if make any sounds? i have a rattling like sound when i slightly accelerate, knock counts were registered and knock control went to .67. this was all after doing a 3rd gear pull onto the highway. after some diving the sound that i was getting, just costing or louder with small acceleration, went away.

Geckos

First Name
Sebastien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
i place the exedy stage 2 tomorrow ;)
I will give you my opinion.
but in your opinion I could do how many kilometers with it?

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I pushed the stock clutch in the mid 400wtq for a year without any slipping. Mind you this wasn’t for 100,000 miles but Clutchmasters say the 400 series maxes at 480wtq, and to stay stock until I was ready to spgrade to the twin disc 1725 kit with hydraulic bearing (also includes lightweight flywheel) and gives a much more stock feel just a bit different in learning the engagement timing. Very soft with the hydraulic and a must IMO.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Civic Type R; 14' AMG C63; 18' Toyota Avalon XLE
Country flag
I pushed the stock clutch in the mid 400wtq for a year without any slipping. Mind you this wasn’t for 100,000 miles but Clutchmasters say the 400 series maxes at 480wtq, and to stay stock until I was ready to spgrade to the twin disc 1725 kit with hydraulic bearing (also includes lightweight flywheel) and gives a much more stock feel just a bit different in learning the engagement timing. Very soft with the hydraulic and a must IMO.

Would you be willing to elaborate on the difference in clutch engagement? Is there any chatter associated with this kit? Not a big deal, just wondering as I pick one up on a Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Civic Type R; 14' AMG C63; 18' Toyota Avalon XLE
Country flag

victorkuznets

First Name
Viktar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Fk8
Country flag
Hello all. I seem to be having nothing but nightmares with my ClutchMasters clutch. I already had to get a new one sent in and this new one has given me issues as well. I have the FX350 and I seem to get disengagement issues. Mechanic states it is never fully disengaged. Gives me issues going into certain gears especially Reverse. Can anyone assist?