Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Most important: do our Civics have NFC readers?

Context: I'll leave my iPhone XS Max in the Si's cupholder or under-console tray, have the key FOB in my pocket, exit the car, shut the door, and walk away, and the car blares that sequential 'key left in vehicle' chime. Given the iPhone doesn't have RFID, but does have NFC, this context suggests our cars have an NFC reader built in with which it is 'seeing' the key still left in the vehicle.

Thoughts welcomed!

https://ww.9to5mac.com/2020/02/05/n...r-unlocking-driving-and-sharing-nfc-car-keys/
Sponsored

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
That’s something we would have to ask Honda. My car thinks my keys are left in the car here and there. When I carry my 3ds in the same pocket as my keys while it’s on standby mode, my keys would never auto lock or unlock my door. Whatever wireless linking tech the 3ds has jams my keys. It would be interesting to have. Idk what I would use that for. Although I would be greatly concerned about the car getting hacked wirelessly because I don’t think think the car can randomly generate new one time use hash keys to prevent unauthorized access

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
NFC has very limited range, it's unlikely that Honda would have installed a reader near the cup holders.

17exsedan

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
Old thread I see, but my car never does a key left in vehicle chime. The only chime related to the location of the key is when I leave it running and close the door behind me it sounds an alert to warn me the key left the interior of the car.

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
more likely the other keys on your key chain are interfering with the signal of the key, this happens fairly often, particularly when it's near 40 degrees Fahrenheit (but can happen at other temperatures), completely separate your fob from any other metal sources and you will see.

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If I don't leave my key in the car, I get beeps every time I go to open the passenger side mirror after backing out. I have a relatively skinny driveway so I park favoring the passenger's side to get more room for the driver's side so I close the mirror to prevent scratches, which leads to this dance. I've learned to drop it in the cupholders as I'm backing out, and I won't hear those beeps. I think you might have that bit backwards? I also get the beep if my fob's signal is being blocked and the car can't detect it.

Also, this article doesn't explicitly state it but I'm guessing it was featured because NFC was added into the new Accord as a first.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/samabu...nvisible-feature-to-2018-accord/#38e5d1e36162
Sponsored