Let the good times roll. Now I just gotta drop the tranny. ACT SFI spec FW and street clutch kit.

OP
OP
RehabJP

RehabJP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
A place like this started in my town last year. I don’t think they survived 6 months. Not sure if that is a reflection of the business model or the business man.
Yea, upon further reflection its not as easy as it sounds. I just opened my own mobile mechanic service. No brick and mortar shop,, and I am in the hole over 10K easy. I mean you have to start a company then get all the proper licenses and then find real estate and commercial real estate is stupid expensive (especially in California and why I do not have a brick and mortar shop) then you gotta get insurance and not easy to find insurance companies to insure you sometimes. I had a hard time finding one willing to write a policy for a mobile operation for some reason. Then you gotta buy tools and other expensive equipment.

Then you do all that and you hope and pray that you get enough business to pay the bills and back debt and maybe put a few bucks in your pocket.

I guess its a weird time in DIY mechanical. On the one hand repair data and how to guides are plentiful but on the other hand cars are getting more complicated and less old school analog take a screwdriver and make and adjustment or unbolt a part and swap it out. In example had a dude with an 03' Saturn and he had to replace the Alternator and did. Still would not charge the battery. Returned the thing 3 times with a different one still no charge. I went over it and everything was fine; The fusible link, the ground, the sense wire. He even bought a used ECU just to try and that did not work. Finally he found a shop that specialized in Alternators and charging systems and they had to reprogram the ECU to accept the new alternator (GM does not make the OEM part for that car anymore so that was not an option)

90% of service calls I get are in some way electrical related which I hate because I much prefer wrenching on engines but that is the nature of modern auto repair. Gotta know your lectrical if you wanna work on cars plus the new smaller engines are packed into the engine bay so tight you gotta take the whole dame thing apart to do stuff that used to be considered fairly easy like swap out a clutch disk. Even changing belts on some cars has gotten crazy so I see why maybe people would rather pay someone else to do it even if they can find the guide on how to to it on You Tube.
Sponsored

vandalSI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic Si sedan
Country flag
what are your power goals?
trying to decide on clutch/flywheel.
shooting for 300whp/350torque.
leaning towards the type r retro but it's difficult to get a hold of one.

OP
OP
RehabJP

RehabJP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
my goals are about the same. 300 WHP and a decent bump to toque

vandalSI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic Si sedan
Country flag
i'm just worried the organic street from act wont hold the torque.

OP
OP
RehabJP

RehabJP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
i'm just worried the organic street from act wont hold the torque.
I've put 22 PSI of boost on the Stock clutch and has not slipped. I am confident the ACT clutch with the Organic Sprung disk is sufficient. Going to a race clutch will give more grip but at the cost of clutch feel for daily driving.

The ACT Street clutch is rated for 363 lb/ft which is 63% over the stock clutch so I do not think we are gonna have any issues unless you do something drastic to put down a lot more torque

OP
OP
RehabJP

RehabJP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I've put 22 PSI of boost on the Stock clutch and has not slipped. I am confident the ACT clutch with the Organic Sprung disk is sufficient. Going to a race clutch will give more grip but at the cost of clutch feel for daily driving.

The ACT Street clutch is rated for 363 lb/ft which is 63% over the stock clutch so I do not think we are gonna have any issues unless you do something drastic to put down a lot more torque
Also the Race clutchs wear a lot faster so you will be changing the out a lot more especially if you track the car or if you drive hard.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
You can always tune some torque out in favour of HP. Remember that the 363 tq is at the flywheel so yes it may not be enough. Have you tought of the CM dual clutch kit? It's about as expensive as the CTR retrofit and the street set-up is supposed to be pretty decent pressure-wise and still holds up to 750hp. I don't know of anyone who uses one though but dual plate is what they use in the built diesel world to very good success.

vandalSI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic Si sedan
Country flag
i think the dual plate is overkill for my goals.
Edge auto was running one and it wasnt very streetable according to them.
Sponsored