Let’s Talk Brake Upgrades for Track Use

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I am not seeing the pads for an Si, I'm only seeing them for the Type R. Am I missing something?
oh i apologize. Its the CTR section so i just assumed you had a CTR without reading your previous post.

iirc the rears are same for all 10th gen so that should fit. I am unsure on where you can source the fronts for the Si as i am unsure if they make it.

bnadeau73

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I compete in an SCCA Solo stock class (G Street) in my 2017 Civic Si Coupe. The class rules require I keep the brake rotors and calipers like stock. Therefore, does anyone have track day or racing experience with stock style blank rotors and track pads, I am looking for ones that will hold up better than stock? I plan to do track day events where there will be heavy braking. What are my options for pads? I was considering Paragon R5 and Paragon P3, but it appears that Paragon may not make front pads for my model. I used to daily drive, autocross, and do track days with Hawk DTC-70 and DTC-60 on my ‘04 G35, thus I’m ok with brake noise and dust, just looking for optimum performance both on the track and during autocross.

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
I compete in an SCCA Solo stock class (G Street) in my 2017 Civic Si Coupe. The class rules require I keep the brake rotors and calipers like stock. Therefore, does anyone have track day or racing experience with stock style blank rotors and track pads, I am looking for ones that will hold up better than stock? I plan to do track day events where there will be heavy braking. What are my options for pads? I was considering Paragon R5 and Paragon P3, but it appears that Paragon may not make front pads for my model. I used to daily drive, autocross, and do track days with Hawk DTC-70 and DTC-60 on my ‘04 G35, thus I’m ok with brake noise and dust, just looking for optimum performance both on the track and during autocross.
Instead of copying and pasting again here, you may have better luck reposting this question in the Si section. You're posting in the type R board.

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm about to switch from my oem pads to Project Mu Club Racers since I have only done 6 track days in the ctr and still learning. Should I resurface the 2 piece oem rotors for my ctr before installing the pads? Sorry if this is a dumb questions, I've been getting completely different answers.

roflitzjinno

First Name
Jinno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000
Country flag
I'm about to switch from my oem pads to Project Mu Club Racers since I have only done 6 track days in the ctr and still learning. Should I resurface the 2 piece oem rotors for my ctr before installing the pads? Sorry if this is a dumb questions, I've been getting completely different answers.
Prior to getting two piece rotors, I would normally pair a new set of pads with a new set of rotors.

I believe it might be slightly different with the BBK and two piece rotor. I just swapped in the new pads and bedded them in appropriately. I personally have never heard someone resurfacing a two piece rotor.

OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
You’d want new rotors ideally but you could get away with resurfacing blank rotors if they still have the right amount of thickness

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
Prior to getting two piece rotors, I would normally pair a new set of pads with a new set of rotors.

I believe it might be slightly different with the BBK and two piece rotor. I just swapped in the new pads and bedded them in appropriately. I personally have never heard someone resurfacing a two piece rotor.
I don't see why it would matter that they are two piece since they are blank. The pre 2020 cross drilled rotors would be difficult to resurface. I do wish that someone would start selling hats for the 2020 rotors so we don't have to replace the entire unit when they do wear out.

OnidCTR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rallye Red Civic Type R, 2017 Porsche Macan S, 2011 BMW M3 (Sold), 2005 BMW M3 (Sold), 2004 Honda S2000, 2000 Honda S2000 (Sold)
Country flag
I figured I should ask here since it’s about brakes. So here are the details.

1) I initially thought it was our infamous rock issue. I attached a video for your reference on the sound. Issue exists on both the passenger and driver side front wheels only. Rears are fine.

2) Checked all the shields and no rocks.

3) removed the brake pads and there is some rocks in between the pads and rotors.

4) spun the wheel without pads, no noise.

5) put everything back together and the noise is there ?

1st video is before taking everything apart.
2nd video is noiseless after taking everything apart.
3rd video is putting everything back together and the noise is back.

Car got the brakes done in Feb. It has maybe 1,000 miles at best (more like 600 miles). From February till now, it has seen one track day, 2 meets, 1 canyon run and 3 photoshoots. Car was only driven hard during track day. Pads are Project Mu Club Racer (black version) in the fronts. It happens on both sides, passenger and driver. Anyone have any suggestions or recommenrations? ?

Last edited:

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
At least one of your pads is dragging a bit which is not as serious as you might think. It may well sound different after re installing a wheel as the rotor won't necessarily fit perfectly until the lug nuts are tightened. Lots of race pads sound similar.

17RGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
I do not recommend the Paragon P3 rear pads. This is what I found after four track days. I checked them out after they were squealing bad. So happy to have that noise gone.
9B008617-E97B-4E04-A6E7-56070F8B6D94.jpeg
720CD095-AD4C-466A-87CF-6C12225B0658.jpeg
Did you reach out to Godfrey at Paragon with that information on your pads? That’s a little unsettling seeing the material fractured and cracked like that...

OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I do not recommend the Paragon P3 rear pads. This is what I found after four track days. I checked them out after they were squealing bad. So happy to have that noise gone.
9B008617-E97B-4E04-A6E7-56070F8B6D94.jpeg
720CD095-AD4C-466A-87CF-6C12225B0658.jpeg
As weird as it may sound, I think a rock or pebble might have gotten between the disc and pad causing that. There’s no signs of the pad overheating which would cause the pad to crack