-JP-

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 CTR, '06 RSX-S, '10 MDX, '01 Sequoia
Country flag
Appreciate the datapoints. Regarding the Girodisc vs Paragon rotors - any difference in performance or life that you've noticed so far? I'm tempted by the Girodiscs due to their performance and life - JDMStig has reported 30 track days with plenty of life remaining.
I won't know how well the life of Paragon rotors will hold up vs Girodisc for a while. I only have 3 trackdays on Paragon discs so far. If I were to guess, and hate guessing, I would say around the same since they are a similar (not identical) design.
That was pretty cool to see Steven get so much use out of the Giros. I don't think he brakes much though haha...
Sponsored

OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Slowly updating this thread. Please let me know if you guys are looking for any specific data or product.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
Thanks again Lust for starting this thread. I, too, have used Raybestos ST43s in the past on different cars and really like them but did not have any luck using them at the rear due to having too much initial bite and promoting rear lock up that was certainly unappreciated !!. They were great on the front with fairly easy modulation, good but not overpowering initial bite and excellent wear. They also released from the rotor very well, unlike some of the Carbotech/G-Loc pads. This is easy to tell when you bring your car in, let it cool somewhat, lift a wheel and see how much drag there is when rotating it. The Carbotechs/G-Locs always had a lot more resistance.

I have a set of Paragon R5 front pads in a box but won't be able to use them for a few months, (Canadian winter and all that) but am really looking for a choice at the rear. I am not a fan of running the same compound at the rear as the front given that with track tires there is more weight transfer to the front than the car was originally designed for when braking, meaning less braking is even available at the rear as there is less weight on the rear axle. OTOH, you need to have a rear pad that can handle a lot of heat i.e much more than stock but not necessarily have the same initial bite or coefficient of friction as the fronts.

One of the other issues that you need to deal with, is that if you are changing between pads for race and street use, not all pad materials are that compatible with each other. At the front this may actually not be that important as most well bedded race pad material will likely remove itself with low temp street driving and can be rebedded before the next track use. Not so sure about the rears as to the easy removal of race pad material which means it would be best to have compatible pads there. Brings me back to Carbotech who have both street and milder race pads (potentially the R8) that are compatible. My issue is with initial bite for race use on the rear. I don't want too much but need some ability to handle heat. I would love to hear suggestions.

As for fluid, I am a huge fan of SRF. Unless you change your fluid really often, SRF has the best wet boiling point and is incredibly consistent. I used to track a C5Z06 Corvette with race pads but stock rotors and calipers and believe me, that car is under braked, but had no issues attributable to brake fluid when using SRF. I could change it once a season.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
One of the other issues that you need to deal with, is that if you are changing between pads for race and street use, not all pad materials are that compatible with each other.
So how does one figure out which pads/material are compatible with each other?

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So how does one figure out which pads/material are compatible with each other?
Most pad manufacturers will know which pads of their own make are compatible. I don't think anyone has definitive knowledge of pad compatibility between different manufacturers. Anecdotal stories are that Carbotech/G-loc pads are not compatible with most other manufacturer's pads but I don't think there is a lot of hard data on that.

Hawk as well makes a wide variety of pads which may or may not be compatible with each other.

OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
So, what are you guys running for rear pads?
Im currently running PMu Club Racers. So far they’ve been great and I have them paired with the Paragon R5 pads up front. The PMu CR rear pads are long lasting as my previous set lasted more than a dozen track days.

My next setup will be R7 pads in the front and R5 pads in the rear

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How is the initial bite and how is the modulation of the Project Mu Club Racers. Are they streetable at all? I like that they seem to be able to handle very high temps.

RBrackett

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R Aegean Blue Metallic
Country flag
Im currently running PMu Club Racers. So far they’ve been great and I have them paired with the Paragon R5 pads up front. The PMu CR rear pads are long lasting as my previous set lasted more than a dozen track days.

My next setup will be R7 pads in the front and R5 pads in the rear
how has the R5 been on the street so far? i'm planning on going full R5 pads (with rotors) when the time comes to to change them, but I would be more street and maybe a couple days a year if that on the track.... not sure if the R5 might be a tad overkill but would be better than having to switch out pads/rotors if i decide to do a track day

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m currently running (Street and track use)

Girodisc Front rotors. Still OEM for rears. Will upgrade to Girodiscs when they wear out.

Front pads: Girodisc SS
Rear pads: Girodisc magic

Brake lines: SST Sakebomb Garage

Am interested to hear more details about the custom Goodrich lines Lust had made :)

Have been very happy so far. Seems to perform well, though I’m a track n00b. Low dust and no more rock noises.

If my driving and braking become more advanced, may try out Girodisc track pads. For now I’m using their street/light track pads

OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
How is the initial bite and how is the modulation of the Project Mu Club Racers. Are they streetable at all? I like that they seem to be able to handle very high temps.
Club racers work well in the cold and are pretty quiet on the street. It is more of a hybrid pad than a dedicated track pad. I like them for rear pads because they pair up well with a bunch of different front pads but I wouldn’t run the club racers in the front. They do offer very good bite and modulation. Very easy to use especially for novices. The R5 compound is the way to go for a serious track pad that offers the best modulation and bite that is consistent

how has the R5 been on the street so far? i'm planning on going full R5 pads (with rotors) when the time comes to to change them, but I would be more street and maybe a couple days a year if that on the track.... not sure if the R5 might be a tad overkill but would be better than having to switch out pads/rotors if i decide to do a track day
R5 is a dedicated track compound which you can drive on the street. With your track use I might look into one step down which is the P3. You’ll see better pad life and rotor life without much loss in brake performance on the street

OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I’m currently running (Street and track use)

Girodisc Front rotors. Still OEM for rears. Will upgrade to Girodiscs when they wear out.

Front pads: Girodisc SS
Rear pads: Girodisc magic

Brake lines: SST Sakebomb Garage

Am interested to hear more details about the custom Goodrich lines Lust had made :)

Have been very happy so far. Seems to perform well, though I’m a track n00b. Low dust and no more rock noises.

If my driving and braking become more advanced, may try out Girodisc track pads. For now I’m using their street/light track pads
The goodridge lines are very good. I actually felt a noticeable difference in the brake pedal. The lines I have aren’t custom, just a revised line they came out with to prevent rubbing on 18” wheels.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Club racers work well in the cold and are pretty quiet on the street. It is more of a hybrid pad than a dedicated track pad. I like them for rear pads because they pair up well with a bunch of different front pads but I wouldn’t run the club racers in the front. They do offer very good bite and modulation. Very easy to use especially for novices. The R5 compound is the way to go for a serious track pad that offers the best modulation and bite that is consistent

R5 is a dedicated track compound which you can drive on the street. With your track use I might look into one step down which is the P3. You’ll see better pad life and rotor life without much loss in brake performance on the street
Glad to hear it. I have new R5s for the front and Paragon rotors that need to go on but won't be able to use them for a few months. Otherwise I would probably use Raybestos ST43s for fronts but had no idea for the rears.

OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Glad to hear it. I have new R5s for the front and Paragon rotors that need to go on but won't be able to use them for a few months. Otherwise I would probably use Raybestos ST43s for fronts but had no idea for the rears.
I’ve paired the ST43 fronts with PMu CR rear and it worked out okay. You’ll definitely appreciate the better modulation of the R5 compared to the ST43 which is more of an on/off switch.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I’ve paired the ST43 fronts with PMu CR rear and it worked out okay. You’ll definitely appreciate the better modulation of the R5 compared to the ST43 which is more of an on/off switch.
Well, that is even better news. Great.
Sponsored