Legality of the infotainment system vs cell phone

SmokeySiFy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
If I have my phone mounted to my air vent and I interact with the phone using my hands I can get a very expensive ticket. If I touch the dial on my air conditioning or radio I am fine. But what if I use the infotainment system???

I can see it being ok, but it is practically a cellphone mounted to the car.
Sponsored

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
For the obvious reason you point out, the law probably talks about handheld or mobile devices and the car probably isn't going to get considered that. Of course that ignores the real prospect that you could get just as distracted playing with the infotainment. but that's what happens when laws aiming to reduce a state of mind--distraction--fixate on a specific behavior--playing with handheld/mobile devices.

OP
OP

SmokeySiFy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
You're probably right, and I am somewhat against the anti cellphone law. I got a ticket for removing my phone from my pocket and placing it in the center console while driving about 5 years ago. I just think this is a silly distinction of the the phone being installed in the car and thus legal to use while driving. Distracted driving was always illegal, but it is hardly enforced. I think that base distracted driving laws should be enforced vs "anti cellphone laws". There are many worse distractions compared to basic cellphone use.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

reversals

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
I'm guessing there's a clear distinction between a phone and something built into your car. It doesn't make the most sense, but the idea is that you're going to get more distracted on your phone because you're texting. But that also begs the question: can I look at a paper map? How is that better than looking at a phone?

OP
OP

SmokeySiFy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Perhaps few as common.
Noisy kids, eating, applying makeup, reading, looking at a mapquest printout.

I'm guessing there's a clear distinction between a phone and something built into your car. It doesn't make the most sense, but the idea is that you're going to get more distracted on your phone because you're texting. But that also begs the question: can I look at a paper map? How is that better than looking at a phone?
I agree, where is the line drawn. Are police going to use these stereos as a reason to pull someone over?

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Noisy kids, eating, applying makeup, reading, looking at a mapquest printout.
I don't think there's as much evidence for any of these activities being involved in transportation accidents as there is for cell phone use. Heck, it's illegal here and I see the cops doing it.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
In many states the law is written to give LOEs flexibility to determine whether your actions are viewed as distracting. Looking down at the phone/radio for extended periods of time, whether texting or dialing, is unnecessary with today's technology. Both Google and Apple allow voice dialing, voice to text, and various other voice commands to open & interact with apps. And we don't technically need AA or Carplay to do so.

Fumbling with a playlist, whether on the phone or on the radio, is the same offense as far as law enforcement is concerned.
Sponsored