First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R, 01 C5 Corvette, 12 Audi TTRS
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sounds like you just aren't use to that kind of extended physical activity. Judging by your height and body weight, you are approx. 40-50 pounds under weight. Try doing some body weight squats and drink more water to help with blood flow to the legs and for them to gain a bit of strength. The spreading pain is from fatigue in the muscle (I believe). I'm no doctor but I have seen this happen to new guys in the gym very often. I have a buddy with the same build as you, and he went through the same dilemma. Regardless, go see a doctor about it too, he or she can give you better insight, help, and advice than any of us here.
Sponsored

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
I agree don't take it the wrong way, 125 is pretty low for someone who is nearly 6'0.

I'm a tad overweight at 185 at the same height and don't have the same problems. I gym and cycle around 3 times a week.

Also, I wonder if you're too close to the wheel haha. I can't really tell from the angle but it almost looks like your leg is pushing down at the hip and not extending the leg, overworking your glutes. You want to be using your thigh muscles more which are used more frequently.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I agree don't take it the wrong way, 125 is pretty low for someone who is nearly 6'0.

I'm a tad overweight at 185 at the same height and don't have the same problems. I gym and cycle around 3 times a week.

Also, I wonder if you're too close to the wheel haha. I can't really tell from the angle but it almost looks like your leg is pushing down at the hip and not extending the leg, overworking your glutes. You want to be using your thigh muscles more which are used more frequently.
No, don’t worry, I’m aware I’m underweight but I never had a big stomach and my ADHD meds don’t help either.

I tried moving back one click and it felt like I was reaching for the pedal, which is the huge issue I have. If I could get in between where I sit now and one space back, it would be great, but if I raise the seat up I then run into the steering column. I have no idea how I don’t fit in this car.

randmtsk

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Agean Blue Civic Type R || 2015 DGM STi - Sold || 2000 Silverstone s2000 - Sold
Country flag
-Don't drive with wallet in back pocket.
-Look at youtube videos on how to properly sit in a car. It sounds stupid but I thought I was sitting too closely but I was way off. When I got to the Ron Fellows driving school they moved me like 3-4" closer.
-Make sure your posture is good.
-Maybe you've got a hyperagulability (thick blood) and are prone to a blood clot if sitting for a long time
-Hit the gym
Any particular vids you want to share?

randmtsk

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Agean Blue Civic Type R || 2015 DGM STi - Sold || 2000 Silverstone s2000 - Sold
Country flag
I have a similar problem but it feels like my leg is constantly about to cramp. I think the bolsters are tight and the seat slopes upward in the front so you don't slide forward cutting off some circulation. I'm 6' 175 lbs.

I also have a medical issue that if I don't keep on top of makes it worse...so I would agree with others who said you should go to the doctor to make sure nothing else is going on. (Although it took my doctors 3 years to find my problems so....)

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a similar problem but it feels like my leg is constantly about to cramp. I think the bolsters are tight and the seat slopes upward in the front so you don't slide forward cutting off some circulation. I'm 6' 175 lbs.

I also have a medical issue that if I don't keep on top of makes it worse...so I would agree with others who said you should go to the doctor to make sure nothing else is going on. (Although it took my doctors 3 years to find my problems so....)
Have an appointment for next week to see what they say... I got back from commuting this afternoon (although it was much longer because I was coming from further away) and my back was in severe pain and my left leg was surprisingly not as bad as it has been but doesn’t matter to me if my back aches this bad.

The lack of lumbar support (come ON Honda) isn’t helping either.

Commuting with my Toyota tomorrow and seeing if any of the pains are still experienced or not.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Have an appointment for next week to see what they say... I got back from commuting this afternoon (although it was much longer because I was coming from further away) and my back was in severe pain and my left leg was surprisingly not as bad as it has been but doesn’t matter to me if my back aches this bad.

Commuting with my Toyota tomorrow and seeing if any of the pains are still experienced or not.
Sciatic nerve problems(low back)? Remember pain radiates downward.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Where my foot makes contact with the clutch is right near the toes, which is an area that constantly gives me pain when pushing the clutch in and out repeatedly.
I'm going to disagree with most people here and say that this does not sound like a strength-related issue. Based on the quote above, you may be developing a Morton's neuroma in your left foot. It's frequently caused by repeated stress in the affected area, leading to pain in the local nerve. It's tough to tell just from an internet post, but if you're not confusing leg pain with muscle strain, then you may also be sitting in an awkward position that is causing referred pain down your leg.

If you don't feel like your leg pain is related to muscle fatigue, then you should make an appointment to see a P.T. to get assessed. If you don't have direct access in your state, then make an appointment with an Ortho first to get a referral. It should go without saying, but if you're having these kinds of pains while driving, then you should not jump into a weight training regimen without getting assessed by a professional first.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag

I never heard you complain about this so it must've happened only recently. Maybe the leg doesn't feel as bad because the pain in the back is worse.

I'd definitely have it looked at and try to avoid activities that is giving you that pain. (although that's kinda impossible because we all need to get to work). If commuting with the toyota doesn't give you any issues, i'd commute in that until next week when you can get it looked at. You don't want the problem to get worse if there is one.

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm going to disagree with most people here and say that this does not sound like a strength-related issue. Based on the quote above, you may be developing a Morton's neuroma in your left foot. It's frequently caused by repeated stress in the affected area, leading to pain in the local nerve. It's tough to tell just from an internet post, but if you're not confusing leg pain with muscle strain, then you may also be sitting in an awkward position that is causing referred pain down your leg.

If you don't feel like your leg pain is related to muscle fatigue, then you should make an appointment to see a P.T. to get assessed. If you don't have direct access in your state, then make an appointment with an Ortho first to get a referral. It should go without saying, but if you're having these kinds of pains while driving, then you should not jump into a weight training regimen without getting assessed by a professional first.
It’s hard to tell what it is, but it doesn’t feel like muscle strain. I never heard of a Morton’s neuroma but anything with an -oma in it concerns me so I hope it’s not.

I never heard you complain about this so it must've happened only recently. Maybe the leg doesn't feel as bad because the pain in the back is worse.

I'd definitely have it looked at and try to avoid activities that is giving you that pain. (although that's kinda impossible because we all need to get to work). If commuting with the toyota doesn't give you any issues, i'd commute in that until next week when you can get it looked at. You don't want the problem to get worse if there is one.
It started ultimately a month or two ago, and it’s been off and on until last week into this week where it was the worst I’ve experienced. The leg pain is still there but today that was overshadowed by the back issues.

Tomorrow is a big test to see if it affects me in an automatic as well. The RAV4 seats are pretty old but they are fairly comfortable and the ride quality is as well.

Ive been exclusively driving in comfort mode in the Type R to mitigate as much road imperfection as possible but that hasn’t made any differences. Also have slowed down my clutch release speed to use less force and that hasn’t done anything yet either.

CTRFK8

First Name
Sauce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
I have some leg issues when sitting for more then 30 minutes at the movie theatre or a position similar to if you were sitting on a desk in a classroom. My right knee starts aching then legs gets kind of numb. Its fine when i can slouch or have room to strech legs out.

Ive drove almost 900 miles one way traveling out of state but dont remember it bothering me except for the usual feeling of fatigue, ache and pains from long distance road trips.

I lift weights and tend to injure myself when lifting heavy. One thing I end up doing is rest then gradually work and strenghten the muscles surrounding the area that hurts, seems to work for me.

For your height your WAYYYYYY under weight at 120. Even if you gained 20 more pounds I would say your still skinny. Get yourself checked out first and go from there but you still need to put on somemore weight. At 6ft tall I dont see how being 120lb is healthy.

Worst case senario is get rid of the R for a vehicle thats more comfortable.

(note: ive had severe back spasms in the pass where if I bent down or lift with medium presser using my lower back, the spasms will happen. The type of spasms you fall to the floor, cant move, sweating, for a few hours I end up doing stretches then gradually used weights to strenghten low back/legs and been spasm free for a few years while lifting heavy as my strenght allows me)

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It’s hard to tell what it is, but it doesn’t feel like muscle strain. I never heard of a Morton’s neuroma but anything with an -oma in it concerns me so I hope it’s not.

It started ultimately a month or two ago, and it’s been off and on until last week into this week where it was the worst I’ve experienced. The leg pain is still there but today that was overshadowed by the back issues.

Tomorrow is a big test to see if it affects me in an automatic as well. The RAV4 seats are pretty old but they are fairly comfortable and the ride quality is as well.

Ive been exclusively driving in comfort mode in the Type R to mitigate as much road imperfection as possible but that hasn’t made any differences. Also have slowed down my clutch release speed to use less force and that hasn’t done anything yet either.
It's not cancer - it's more of a painful cyst that hugs a nerve on the bottom of your foot. Ultimately, you'll get all kinds of answers from we internet doctors of Civic X, but if you're genuinely having shooting pain originating in your back, you should see a P.T. to be assessed by a professional.

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
First half of my commute in my RAV4 produced noticeably less pain all around my body. I still had some back pain lingering from the previous day but it did not get worse driving the Toyota. Leg pain was, as expected, non existent. I’ll have to see if these hold true when I am commuting back home.

The thing I’m fearing is that if I can’t find a position in the CTR that allows me to have good posture when driving then I’m going to potentially risk doing more damage to myself than I want to. Even if I’m still young, if I’m experiencing these issues now I want to put a stop to them before they get any worse, because as they say, “it’s all downhill from here”.

It’s too early for me to base any decisions on these observations, and until I see the doctor and hear their recommendations / try their treatments I am holding off on solely blaming my CTR (well, it’s not the cars fault, it’s mine because I cannot find a good seating position).

On the plus side I was able to get Bluetooth audio in my RAV4... so I’m not stuck listening to FM radio :rolleyes:

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
I never mentioned before but one reason I sold my R was for this same reason. I have driven manuals for 30 years and this one although the clutch is amazing and I dont think its the clutch, caused me leg and back pain. I believe it is the seats. Now The seats in this car are about as polarizing as the looks. :) But debates aside, some like the seats and some hate the seats. I personally found them uncomfortable on long trips. they are difficult to get in and out of which may also being a factor in the pain. Its basically a race seat and not a street seat. Have nothing in your pockets while in these seats. Two of my friends who also had Type Rs one of their reasons for selling was the seats. One of them developed bad back pain for the seats. didn't have it before and didn't have it any more after selling. but like anything in life some are gonna love the seats and not see a problem and others are gonna have issues with them its how it goes. But yes please go have leg looked at and rule that out first. if nothing wrong with leg then might have to entertain selling car. Im not sure if there is other seat options for this car?? IM not saying that is the issue but just my opinion that it could just be the way you fit with your seats. I know the seats have been issues for others. even stopping some from buying the car. But I had same issues and now that Im out of the R like my friend my pain has stopped.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
From a comfort perspective, I will say that there are days when I'm tempted to swap for something like a Golf R. The traffic on my commute is getting worse, and the total lack of lumbar support combined with the super notchy 1st to 2nd shift (the higher the RPM, the worse it fights me) is really starting to wear on me. I know that the R is a much better car for raw performance, but there are admittedly days when I'm starting to question my original "I'll keep this car forever" statement. I think that a Grand Touring type car would be much more comfortable to commute in.
Sponsored