First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
better than bracket ? Easy adjust rotation.

mmexport1528431321443.jpg

mmexport1528431317997.jpg
I like the ability to adjust roll in this setup, but I worry about it's rigidity. Unless you cover everything with an epoxy after locking down your aiming I can see that moving after time.
Sponsored

cestjoel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
I ended up getting new Maxima Projectors and making a custom shield. Here is a quick pic of the output on a wall. (Might need to adjust the drivers side a bit)

OEM Maxima Projector w/ custom shield
E30 Lens
Osram CBB D2S bulbs
Hylux 45 watt Ballast

Honda Civic 10th gen LED VS HID B81CB17A-A49E-4CAD-9A10-5A21503D5C2E

Acey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Coupe Si HFP
Country flag
The problem with the led variants are the cheap Amazon and eBay ones...diode dynamics, morimoto 2.0s, gtr, are all great check out headlight revolutions reviews on them..and if you are going to run hids make sure to do the proper upgrades for the wiring so it doesn't melt.
I have 2Stroke 2.0 which are without question the best LED bulb for our projector, and it's still not HID.

Do not buy LED... period.

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have 2Stroke 2.0 which are without question the best LED bulb for our projector, and it's still not HID.

Do not buy LED... period.
Better than halogen though?

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Better than halogen though?
Output is almost the same, it loses some throw. The big difference is the color temperature. The Morimoto 2Stroke will appear brighter in dry conditions, but not as bright in wet conditions.

Acey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Coupe Si HFP
Country flag
Under no circumstance is the output even close to the same, objective testing of 2.0 vs halogen bulbs in various housings has proven that it destroys halogen by at least 50% and as much as 100%. Even in the wet there is a clear advantage. The same cannot be said for all LED drop-in.

Last edited:

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Under no circumstance is the output even close to the same, objective testing of 2.0 vs halogen bulbs in various housings has proven that it destroys halogen by at least 50% and as much as 100%. Even in the wet there is a clear advantage. The same cannot be said for all LED drop-in.
I'd love to see the LUX test that shows the Morimoto 2Stroke LED is 50% more than the halogen output.

Acey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Coupe Si HFP
Country flag
I'd love to see the LUX test that shows the Morimoto 2Stroke LED is 50% more than the halogen output.
540 to 1420 in F150 = 163%
750 to 1680 in Ram reflector = 124%

Outperforming halogen by a wide margin in a lux test is not something LED struggle with so I'm not sure why this is even a point of discussion. That said, it's not a great metric of performance.

Last edited:

cestjoel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
540 to 1420 in F150 = 163%
750 to 1680 in Ram reflector = 124%

Outperforming halogen by a wide margin in a lux test is not something LED struggle with so I'm not sure why this is even a point of discussion. That said, it's not a great metric of performance.
I haven’t seen the video. But, how usable is that light? Just because something is brighter, doesn’t mean that it performs better on actual driving conditions.

Acey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Coupe Si HFP
Country flag
I haven’t seen the video. But, how usable is that light? Just because something is brighter, doesn’t mean that it performs better on actual driving conditions.
The question wasn't whether or not the light is usable, the question was whether or not the difference in output of 2.0 vs halogen is greater than 50%, which he was doubting for some reason.

LED drop-in are trash overall* and the only thing to be done for proper usable output is an HID retrofit, period. I've stated this many times.

* LED drop-in have utility in applications where the goal is to maximize glare, i.e. signals, brake lights, and high beams.

Last edited:

nags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
So with everything I've read I understand that HID is the way to go. And we all know Morimoto is the number 1 choice across the forums. However, are there any other less expensive kits that y'all like? I know you get what you pay for but with so many on the market I can't imagine there's not another good choice in the sub $100 range. Or at least closer to it.

FK7Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
So with everything I've read I understand that HID is the way to go. And we all know Morimoto is the number 1 choice across the forums. However, are there any other less expensive kits that y'all like? I know you get what you pay for but with so many on the market I can't imagine there's not another good choice in the sub $100 range. Or at least closer to it.
Hylux ballast with Nhk bulbs. Hylux is the OEM for morimoto this generation

Stupefyer

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Im using some LED bulbs for my headlights on my FK7 and theyre working just great. Got mine for around $60 on amazon. Been on my car for a year now and havent had any issues.

nags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
Hylux ballast with Nhk bulbs. Hylux is the OEM for morimoto this generation

Thanks for the reply. Although just ended up ordering the Morimoto's after finding a coupon code that brought them into a much better price range.

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Morimoto Bulbs w/DDM Tuning Ballasts. Total Cost: $64 a set.

Honda Civic 10th gen LED VS HID S6FlAjqh

Honda Civic 10th gen LED VS HID ByNWrmih

Honda Civic 10th gen LED VS HID D4vREUZh