LED strips under dash

Brandons2697

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
I'm adding four LED strips soon for extra lighting in the footwell. What's the best way to go about doing it? I want it to turn on when I open the door but also have the option to turn it on with the doors closed.

SoonerinFL

BOOMER!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T and 2016 Acura TLX Base
Do you have a tap fuse with 2 slots? I installed a dash cam and hard wired it to the fuse box with the a/c fuse. I'm sure that would work also. Maybe even the daytime running light?
Yes, I have a two fuse tap. I want to sync so the floor lights turn on at night only. I don't want it to be on all the time. I was thinking of tapping into the headlights, but that would be a tad more difficult then tapping in the interior fuse box.

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I have a two fuse tap. I want to sync so the floor lights turn on at night only. I don't want it to be on all the time. I was thinking of tapping into the headlights, but that would be a tad more difficult then tapping in the interior fuse box.
Hmm, that might be more than my skill level lol. Not sure where you would tap that, or if you would have to do some wire splicing that connects to the headlight?

SoonerinFL

BOOMER!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmm, that might be more than my skill level lol. Not sure where you would tap that, or if you would have to do some wire splicing that connects to the headlight?
I will have to fuse tap to the box in the engine compartment. There are headlights fuse there. Then run a wire through the grommet I guess. Now, where is that engine compartment grommet.o_O:D

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
You guys are misunderstanding how fuseboxes work.

There are switched circuits and always on circuits.

Just because the headlights are not turned on, doesn't mean the Headlight Fuse is not getting power. If you tap to the headlight fuse, your LED will be on all the time, regardless of whether the lights are on or not.

You have to splice wires directly into the headlight's 12v wire, or hook up a relay to that same 12v and battery.

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
You guys are misunderstanding how fuseboxes work.

There are switched circuits and always on circuits.

Just because the headlights are not turned on, doesn't mean the Headlight Fuse is not getting power. If you tap to the headlight fuse, your LED will be on all the time, regardless of whether the lights are on or not.

You have to splice wires directly into the headlight's 12v wire, or hook up a relay to that same 12v and battery.
That makes good sense to me now that I think about that logic. Good call :)

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 EXL Pilot AWD Sensing
Here is what I would do, if you plan on tapping into your headlights, get an H11 extender, plug your factory harness into that, then splice that wire....may be a few dollars more, but your not splicing into your factory wiring...

https://www.amazon.com/AutoLover®-Connector-Extension-Adapter-Headlight/dp/B01CTP2VWI

If you do that, you can undo it and never even know.

Or, splice off the dome light, so they only turn on when the doors are open? I would think the lights might be distracting at night imo

SoonerinFL

BOOMER!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is what I would do, if you plan on tapping into your headlights, get an H11 extender, plug your factory harness into that, then splice that wire....may be a few dollars more, but your not splicing into your factory wiring...

https://www.amazon.com/AutoLover®-Connector-Extension-Adapter-Headlight/dp/B01CTP2VWI

If you do that, you can undo it and never even know.

Or, splice off the dome light, so they only turn on when the doors are open? I would think the lights might be distracting at night imo
Good Idea @carlson03. I have the led lights that can be adjusted for brightness. I have them barely on right now. I want to mimic the interior lights of the Acura. They are subtle not BOOM right at you. :thumbsup:

CBR600F4i

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
Update. So it's been installed for a while now. I went for the option I mentioned above (plugging into to the 12v outlet) and it's perfect especially in the Civic because we have that storage area in the back of the console for cables and such where I am indeed storing all the excess cables and wires. The remote that this came with works great also and there's lots of options including various colours and strobe and whatever. It's fun.

Honda Civic 10th gen LED strips under dash IMG_20160809_072706

Honda Civic 10th gen LED strips under dash IMG_20160809_072717

Honda Civic 10th gen LED strips under dash IMG_20160809_072731

zrwizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport,2016 CRV SE, 2014 Mustang, 2011 Mustang, 2010 Civic LX-
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Which kit is dimmable?