Dcabrera211

First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic si, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
Country flag
I recently purchased a set of LED switch backs for my side markers to go on my '17 si. They are supposed to have a blue LED with the DRL and switch to Amber for the turn signal. I am stuck as they are not doing what they should.
- I have connected them to the socket for the stock side marker and also spliced into the turn signal (passenger side) and I am only getting a constant Amber light and no turn signal functionality. I'm lost on where I went wrong. I'll add pics to show what I've done and what they are expected to do. I have searched on the forum and have got nothing. Thanks in advance!

Honda Civic 10th gen LED side marker switch back question IMG_20200704_152842

Honda Civic 10th gen LED side marker switch back question IMG_20200704_152835

Honda Civic 10th gen LED side marker switch back question Screenshot_20200705-125318

Honda Civic 10th gen LED side marker switch back question IMG_20200704_153011

mmxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe
Country flag
Maybe you spliced the wrong wire. A youtube video showed me that you can connect the red wire into the socket (the top side of what you are holding) to test to make sure you got the right wires.

OP
OP
Dcabrera211

Dcabrera211

First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Maybe you spliced the wrong wire. A youtube video showed me that you can connect the red wire into the socket (the top side of what you are holding) to test to make sure you got the right wires.
Yeah, I believe I saw that one too. I tried it briefly but didn't get much. My other concern is that when I connect the side marker to the socket (where stock side marker bulb gets connected) it immediately turns Amber. I would assume it should turn blue, not Amber. I think that's where I'm confused the most. I'm obviously not too good with electrical lol.

DaiLo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You might have tapped into the daytime running light wire instead? I know when I did mine, the colors of the wires were not the same as the videos I was following. Probably a regional thing.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
The turn signal harness usually have 3 wires: a ground, a constant 12v, and the normal flashing when you activate the switch for the turn signal. Your probably tapped into the constant 12v. Black is ALWAYS ground so then just move the tap to the other wire that’s not black. If without the tap the blue light does not come on switch the connection 180°on the stock bulb connection

OP
OP
Dcabrera211

Dcabrera211

First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The turn signal harness usually have 3 wires: a ground, a constant 12v, and the normal flashing when you activate the switch for the turn signal. Your probably tapped into the constant 12v. Black is ALWAYS ground so then just move the tap to the other wire that’s not black. If without the tap the blue light does not come on switch the connection 180°on the stock bulb connection
That's where I'm confused. When I plug in JUST the side marker to the stock socket, it lights up Amber. The red wire isn't even connected. Weird right?

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
That's where I'm confused. When I plug in JUST the side marker to the stock socket, it lights up Amber. The red wire isn't even connected. Weird right?
And what happens with the red wire connected and turn signals activated

mmxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe
Country flag
I'm not familiar with this brand of side markers. Maybe it is by design that it holds amber and blinks blue for turn signal. The stock model is amber for just regular lights, maybe these folks are keeping that look.

OP
OP
Dcabrera211

Dcabrera211

First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm not familiar with this brand of side markers. Maybe it is by design that it holds amber and blinks blue for turn signal. The stock model is amber for just regular lights, maybe these folks are keeping that look.
You know what that actually makes a lot of sense! I assumed that the turn signal would be Amber and the constant would be blue. Made sense to me that way I guess. I haven't had time to mess with it since then so I'll let you guys know if anything changes. I did just put a pre order in for unity performance side markers. They won't come till September (estimated).

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You know what that actually makes a lot of sense! I assumed that the turn signal would be Amber and the constant would be blue. Made sense to me that way I guess. I haven't had time to mess with it since then so I'll let you guys know if anything changes. I did just put a pre order in for unity performance side markers. They won't come till September (estimated).
Which color did you get? I’m debating on whether or not I should order a pair. I want the clear ones with amber led. My boyfriend thinks I’ll void my warranty if I add the side markers to my car. Seeing how I’m doing something with the electrical ??‍♀

DaiLo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Which color did you get? I’m debating on whether or not I should order a pair. I want the clear ones with amber led. My boyfriend thinks I’ll void my warranty if I add the side markers to my car. Seeing how I’m doing something with the electrical ??‍♀
It shouldn't affect the powertrain or drivetrain warranties. But if your power window goes out, they could claim the side marker did it but they'd have to prove it directly caused the failure, which is unlikely.

Last edited:

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not likely unless it's

It shouldn't affect the powertrain or drivetrain warranties. But if your power window goes out, they could claim the side marker did it but they'd have to prove it directly caused the failure, which is unlikely.
Good deal. I ended up just getting them. Sucks I have to wait til September to get them. I think I waited to late. I know they come in batches so hopefully it won’t be long. Never did anything exterior wise modification so this will be a first for me ??
video looks like they’d be simple to install. Just plug and play.

OP
OP
Dcabrera211

Dcabrera211

First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I ordered the clear with white LED. I saw that someone on Xgen FB forum said they opened up and I didn't hesitate. I bought my car used (2017 si) so I wouldn't know if it does or doesn't.

youo34

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Coupe Sport 2019
Country flag
Similar issue as you where, my DRL is amber and my white led lights only come on when I signal. Does anyone know if you can switch this order around where the amber only comes on when signaled? and DRL stays white led?
Sponsored